Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 1st, 2013 07:00

SSD compatible with XPS 15z(L511z)

There are SSD compatible with the XPS 15z? I refer to the XPS with Intel i5 processor(2.30 GHz). If yes, what do you recommend?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

This model supports SATA 3 and can run at 6 GB/s. See Crucial:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/upgrade/Dell-memory/XPS/XPS+15z-upgrades.html

I therefore recommend the 128 GB Crucial m4 (they recommend the v4 which is slightly cheaper but the v4 runs at 3 GB/s):

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=92E22EC1A5CA7304

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 1st, 2013 08:00

Any standard 2.5" SATA SSD will work.  Intel and Samsung are the two top manufacturers of SSDs.

48 Posts

Why on the DELL website there are no SSD recommended for the XPS 15z? I refer to the page "parts and upgrades".

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 1st, 2013 08:00

Dell parts and upgrades is very limited.

14 Posts

January 9th, 2013 19:00

Anything but OCZ. I've gone through five, yes FIVE OCZ SSDs, that have failed. I would recommend staying away from OCZ. I hear the Intel SSDs are good, my next one will be an Intel, Samsung or Crucial. An SSD is the single best upgrade for your 15Z.

48 Posts

January 10th, 2013 00:00

Hi Tim. Yes, also other people have advised me Samsung and Crucial (Intel is a bit hexose). They have also advised me to opt for SATA2 - 3Gb/s because SATA3 - 6Gb/s would reduce the life of the processor(for the enormous increase of the I/O activity). What can you tell me about this?

14 Posts

January 10th, 2013 08:00

Josh, I've never heard of such a thing. I've used both and SATA3 is noticeably faster. I've been monitoring temps as well, and the SATA3 drives didn't make the CPU run any hotter. I'd go with a SATA3 drive.

14 Posts

February 12th, 2013 14:00

My 15Z didn't come with a recovery CD, so I don't know if you can fresh install from yours, but I'd recommend a fresh install over cloning if you can.

If not, I've used Macrium Reflect Free for cloning, which worked great.

I'd get at least a 128GB drive, 256 is even better of course. Just don't get an OCZ drive, I've had terrible reliability with them. And SSD is the best upgrade you can make I think.

I don't know any videos for drive install off hand, but it's not hard. Pulling the bottom of the unit off is the hardest part, take your time with it. Don't forget to pull the 2 screws behind the plastic trim around the USB ports before trying to remove the bottom.

15 Posts

February 12th, 2013 14:00

Similar question to the above. 

Was about to order a 256 SSD from Crucial. My Dell has blue screened a few times in the last couple of weeks so wanted a clean install. Can I do this with the CD that came along with my xps 15z. 

If not is there a free Drive cloning software or shall I go for the option from Crucial which comes with a data transfer kit but somehow that is only in the 3Mb date transfer drive. 

Here is a link for the Crucial site and I was hoping for a 128 or a 256 SSD

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=XPS%2015z&Cat=SSD

I have never opened a laptop but am quite good with electronics. Is this hard? Any videos to guide me through?  

15 Posts

February 12th, 2013 15:00

Sorry one last question... And thank you for your answers you have been very helpful. Will I see much difference between the 6MB one and the 3MB one? I plan on keeping my computer for one more year max. Say if the 3MB one takes 11 seconds to boot up what will the 6MB one take? 5-6 secs or 9-10 seconds? Just a rough guess would help in making my decision.

I currently have a 1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive. It is veryyyyyy slow.

15 Posts

Thanks! Do I void the warranty in anyway if I successfully carry out a upgrade on the laptop? Mine has 2 years left.

And also that plastic trim is broken on my Laptop.I had a warranty issue and the technician must have weakened it when he took it off. It broke in the middle a few weeks back when I was putting in a USB. Is there a way for me to order a new one from somewhere?

15 Posts

Also once I clone the drive and install it will it be exactly like I have never changed drives? Passwords/software/websites all in the same place?

14 Posts

It won't void the warranty, though if you damage anything while doing it,

the damage isn't covered.

On that note, the plastic trim piece may be covered by warranty, I'd give

contact dell and see if they'll come out and replace it for you. That trip

piece certainly seems to be a design flaw.

Here's a youtube video on taking the bottom cover off:

14 Posts

February 12th, 2013 16:00

If you clone the drive, all your programs, websites, passwords, etc, will be there. It will be just like your current machine, but MUCH faster. However, if you’re having trouble with bluescreens that are related to installed drivers, these problems will likely follow as well.

Regarding the 3Gb/s(SATA2) vs 6Gb/s(SATA3): The 15Z (511Z) is has a SATA3 HD bay, and a SATA2 optical bay. For six quid more, I’d go with the SATA3. I’ve never run them side by side, so I couldn’t tell a difference between the two. Coming from your current spindle drive, you’ll be amazed with either one.

That’s the main problem with SSDs, after you use one, spindle drives are painfully slow, almost like going back to dial-up internet after you’ve had broadband. :)

15 Posts

February 13th, 2013 02:00

I think I will just do a normal clone for now and get it up and running. Have ordered the SATA3 from Crucial

thanks Tim! Should get it tomorrow so will update here.

No Events found!