Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 30th, 2015 05:00

SSD disk upgrade - compatibility with Latitude E6420 - E6430

Hi team,

My question is the following :

Is it possible to upgrade Latitude E6420 - E6430 from a simple HDD to a SSD disk ? 

Technically, I know that it's possible, but several technicians from Dell sub contractors are sure that there is a lot of issues with this upgrade.

Indeed, in my company, we did this upgrade on a E6430 yesterday for a beta client. This morning, this client called me to report that after laptop switching on, the screen shows " No bootable device found".

Are you aware about this kind of problems ?

Thanks,

Max

1 Message

March 15th, 2015 22:00

I m having the exact same problem, having cloned my HDD to  SSD and attempting to replace the unit in my Latitude 6420 -- following the swap, I keep getting this screen: 

"No boot device found. Press any key to reboot the machine,"

following the preceding messages:

"PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable,"

and

"PXE-M0F:  Exiting Intel Boot Agent."

Max, did you ever find a way to resolve this issue?  I would be grateful, as the replies below don't seem to address the problem I am facing.
Many thanks -- to anyone with feedback here!

1 Message

July 23rd, 2015 05:00

I have experienced the same issue. My SSD drive was not detected. I updated drivers and so on, without any effect.

By chance I figured out that it was a purely mechanical issue. The ssd drive is a little thinner than the usual hard drive so that it did not get into contact with the slot.

I resolved it by sticking some layers of tape on the tip of the ssd in order to make it apparently thicker.

See the photos.

2 Posts

August 13th, 2015 12:00

This is caused by the initial hard drive being installed as ahci drive not raid or legacy. It doesn't clone well to ssd drives. There is two extra hidden particians in Windows 8 onwards to support ahci and as a result Samsung magician doesn't do the trick. I ended up restting bios to ahci  andbooting from windows disk. There are ways around it but they are tedious. eg."

While in Windows 8, open msconfig.exe and go to the boot tab and check Safe Boot. Click Apply and OK, and allow restart.

Boot back into the Bios and change the controller to AHCI. Saving the change which will cause your system to reboot.

This time, let it continue the boot into Safe Mode. While there, Windows 8 will install the AHCI drivers. You can check the SATA controllers in Device Manger to make sure if you want. The drivers that were missing were now there in device manager.I didn't get any sort of pop up that the drivers were installed.

Open msconfig.exe again and uncheck the Safe Boot box on the Boot tab.

Reboot your system normally." quoted from another forum.

14 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 11:00

Why would it be an issue, you are swapping a 2.5" SATA HDD with a 2.5" SATA SSD. Just make sure properly clone the hard drive and re-format the entire HDD after you verify the SSD works okay. We have several people at work who replaced their E6420 with Samsung EVO 500GB SSD. They only rave about how fast their system is now and how they wished they had switched sooner. 

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 23:00

Thanks but this response doesn't help me ! 

I just need to know if any SSD device is compatible with E6420 - E6430 Latitude serie and what is the best configuration in the BIOS.

In my case, I am swapping the HDD with a SSD and I do a full Windows reload. For the first upgrade, after 1 day, unable to start Windows, the SSD is not recognized in the BIOS anymore.

14 Posts

February 4th, 2015 01:00

If you didn't change the configuration in the bios and no other hardware failed, your ssd died. Get it replaced and do the process again with a new reputable ssd. Fyi, dell sells configurations of e6430 with ssd pre-installed. There's no issue using ssd.

14 Posts

March 6th, 2015 11:00

I upgraded me E6440 with a Samsung 850 PRO SSD 512GB. I took the standard 320GB out and swapped it with the SSD after I ran Samsung Magician. There was no BIOS change necessary. Whatever the defaults that come delivered with Dell will be fine to use with the HDD or SSD (when you clone the HDD to it).

1 Message

March 16th, 2015 06:00

Same problem with ssd disk on a E6420.

If I restart the machine, it would not find the disk, resart again and it starts normaly. Everytime.

If I shut down it starts normaly 9 out of 10 times, byt every restart is a problem.

The disk works fine in a lot of other machines.

I have tried 2 different ssd disks with same result.

3 Posts

March 18th, 2015 02:00

The problem disappears with a clean Windows installation, my SSD model didn't like Ghost image. According to my Dell sale, there is no compatibility problem between SSD and E6420 and 6430 BUT it's always better to do a clean install

1 Message

May 1st, 2015 17:00

My Latitude e6420 has a problem with SSD.

I tried several times with different BIOS settings and with several BIOS versions, including the latest version (A21).

It behave randomly.  Most of the times it doesn't recognize the SSD at all.

Hopefully someone will find a solution for this.

1 Message

July 21st, 2015 13:00

I am having a same issue, any resolution to this???

Borik

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 23rd, 2015 05:00

Some drives/systems require 2.5 mm spacers

< >

This allows a more secure mounting and will avoid the potential for the adhesive in the tape to melt inside the system, possibly creating a mess if the drive ever has to be removed.

Some of the Crucial and Samsung drives come with the spacers included -- as do others.

4 Posts

September 24th, 2015 20:00

exactly same problem with him on a e6420

If I restart the machine, it would not find the disk, resart again and it starts normaly. Everytime.

If I shut down it starts normaly 9 out of 10 times, byt every restart is a problem.

The disk works fine in a lot of other machines.

I have tried 2 different ssd (intel and crosair) disks with same result.

When I power on  the machine, it would not find the disk BUT I boot from usb into windows then machine fine ssd normal. test copy paste on ssd ok.

restart machine is not find ssd or ssd verly slow not power on and not install complete with ssd

I think e6420 not support ssd ???

14 Posts

September 26th, 2015 04:00

Perhaps sad is not powering up soon enough. Try slow bios check so disk has time to be recognized

24 Posts

February 4th, 2016 12:00

Thanks, ARUEHLOW, for your post!  I replaced a Samsung SATA3.0Gbps, 256GB SSD with an identical model in an E6430 and ran our UDS imaging process on it.  I hadn't checked the BIOS after installing the replacement drive (turned out, BIOS said "no primary drive").  During the imaging, my USB boot stick got formatted (effectively killing it as a boot device until I fix it) because that was the only drive the BIOS could see.  I recall, when installing the SSD, thinking it didn't feel like it was seating.  After finding this post, I checked and, sure enough, the connecting pins had slid in and missed the connecting ports, because I had the laptop upside down, which pushed the drive against the top of the bay.  Installing the drive with the laptop right-side-up helped it align properly.  With SATA mode set to AHCI, the imaging process is working normally.  Thanks again!  Saved me!

No Events found!