aruehlow
1 Nickel

RE: SSD disk upgrade - compatibility with Latitude E6420 - E6430

Jump to solution

I have experienced the same issue. My SSD drive was not detected. I updated drivers and so on, without any effect.

By chance I figured out that it was a purely mechanical issue. The ssd drive is a little thinner than the usual hard drive so that it did not get into contact with the slot.

I resolved it by sticking some layers of tape on the tip of the ssd in order to make it apparently thicker.

See the photos.

8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Some drives/systems require 2.5 mm spacers

<<eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSD95MMSPFL/>>

This allows a more secure mounting and will avoid the potential for the adhesive in the tape to melt inside the system, possibly creating a mess if the drive ever has to be removed.

Some of the Crucial and Samsung drives come with the spacers included -- as do others.

0 Kudos
wazza55
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This is caused by the initial hard drive being installed as ahci drive not raid or legacy. It doesn't clone well to ssd drives. There is two extra hidden particians in Windows 8 onwards to support ahci and as a result Samsung magician doesn't do the trick. I ended up restting bios to ahci  andbooting from windows disk. There are ways around it but they are tedious. eg."

While in Windows 8, open msconfig.exe and go to the boot tab and check Safe Boot. Click Apply and OK, and allow restart.

Boot back into the Bios and change the controller to AHCI. Saving the change which will cause your system to reboot.

This time, let it continue the boot into Safe Mode. While there, Windows 8 will install the AHCI drivers. You can check the SATA controllers in Device Manger to make sure if you want. The drivers that were missing were now there in device manager.I didn't get any sort of pop up that the drivers were installed.

Open msconfig.exe again and uncheck the Safe Boot box on the Boot tab.

Reboot your system normally." quoted from another forum.

quaikiet
1 Copper

Jump to solution

exactly same problem with him on a e6420

If I restart the machine, it would not find the disk, resart again and it starts normaly. Everytime.

If I shut down it starts normaly 9 out of 10 times, byt every restart is a problem.

The disk works fine in a lot of other machines.

I have tried 2 different ssd (intel and crosair) disks with same result.

When I power on  the machine, it would not find the disk BUT I boot from usb into windows then machine fine ssd normal. test copy paste on ssd ok.

restart machine is not find ssd or ssd verly slow not power on and not install complete with ssd

I think e6420 not support ssd ???

0 Kudos
sunk818
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Perhaps sad is not powering up soon enough. Try slow bios check so disk has time to be recognized

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jamichau
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks, ARUEHLOW, for your post!  I replaced a Samsung SATA3.0Gbps, 256GB SSD with an identical model in an E6430 and ran our UDS imaging process on it.  I hadn't checked the BIOS after installing the replacement drive (turned out, BIOS said "no primary drive").  During the imaging, my USB boot stick got formatted (effectively killing it as a boot device until I fix it) because that was the only drive the BIOS could see.  I recall, when installing the SSD, thinking it didn't feel like it was seating.  After finding this post, I checked and, sure enough, the connecting pins had slid in and missed the connecting ports, because I had the laptop upside down, which pushed the drive against the top of the bay.  Installing the drive with the laptop right-side-up helped it align properly.  With SATA mode set to AHCI, the imaging process is working normally.  Thanks again!  Saved me!

wwildhorse2k
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I just wanted to say Thank you  for your post . I had the same issue with a Latitude E6520 .  I knew something was wrong when the innermost screws that anchor the drive didnt  reach the threads in the drive. I tried adding a driver when installing Win 10  and changing the bios with no joy. Once I added the tape and the drive "snapped" in  it was recognized and installation proceeded without incident. Thanks again for your invaluable post . BTW it took two layers of Duck tape to make the drive snap in. 

Latitude E6520

0 Kudos
bnorma01
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had the same issue with SanDisk SSD and Dell E6440.  I tried all types of software solutions but it certainly seems now that the issue was mechanical.  I taped a piece of cardboard to the SSD adding the height to match the original drive.  No problems since.  Thank You....

asousaz
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks, ARUEHLOW, for your post!

I bought a  Corsair Force LE SATA3.0Gbps, 240GB SSD, i put it on the disk in the bay of the DELL E6320 and bios did not recognize the disk.

With your post I realize that the bay of the disc is too wide allowing the disc to enter without being connected to the SATA socket.

For me the signal was that the two internal screws of the disk that stopped tightening.

Soo i put the disk in the bay as close to the bolt holes as possible (without tape) and it works.

The BIOS recognized the SSD disk.

You were right. It's really a mechanical problem.

Thanks a lot!!!

gentlejax
1 Copper

Jump to solution

whats wrong with people these days when posting on forums?  nobody reads.  the answer was posted on here about the drive not correctly seating in the socket which would make sense and nobody read it..just kept on suggesting endless work a rounds, for a simple problem with a solution,

this happened to me as well and I figured it out before seeing this post.    many of you might save some time if you read posts instead of trying to be the hero and giving answers that arent needed

0 Kudos