James Ramsden
1 Copper

Re: ST1747: dead Core i7's - 7x Bios Beep - MHz trips - too less A/C adapter?

No, it does not mean that at all.   Dell is investigating a lot of different things.   There are a lot of "moving parts" so to speak and if there are changes to how one component (and that can be hardware or software) works, how will it affect the rest of the system?   It's a complicated issue that takes time to look into.

I have tried to contact you, but i don't know if the message was sent so i will ask you here.

I purchased my Dell Studio 1747 on the 14th Decemeber 2009 and recived it on 19th January 2010. (Spain)

How can i know i have a fixed laptop for the 7-beed problems, altought i have already downloaded the bios update (04) im not confident.

"Some insiders saying, the A/C adapter deliveres too less power - 90 watts only,  if all components running at "full throttle", then more power is needed! "

I have experienced some thtottle and fan speeding when it was not needed.

I like this laptop and what it's SUPOSED to offer, i would like to know if with my year warranty i would get a free fixing if Dell found a solution for the Throttle and other problems.

Hope and have my fingers crossed, that i will not have to send back this laptop and get my money back.

Greetings.

0 Kudos
Daniel.r.ctech
1 Copper

well i canceled mine as well.

Also i am going for a sony vaio F laptop. It has all the options the dell has plus blueray,bluetooth,wifi n already included as well as a full hd 1080p screen.

Really the dell sales department treated me as garbage, i lost confidence in dell big time.

0 Kudos
74mgb
1 Copper

Since my order status remains "Information Temporarily Unavailable" and from what I am hearing on this forum, it could be months before the Blue Ray and 1080 screen are available (and what's with the Midnight Blue color being gone too?) .  So, I just cancelled my order. No apology or explanation from the sales agent - I think Dell is relieved to get out of their commitment to customers so easily.  The trouble is they are losing good customers.  Goodbye Dell -  I'm shopping elsewhere from now on.

Thanks for all the good information on this forum.

Peter in Canada

0 Kudos
James Ramsden
1 Copper

I just had the 7-beeps of death, SO IM GOING TO SEND THIS LOVELY LAPTOP BACK TO DELL AND HAVE MY MONEY BACK!

I'm angry with Dell for selling a product which is not working properly.

I'm shopping elsewhere from now on.

bye bye.

0 Kudos
Arran1020
1 Copper

I had a near miss when I nearly ordered a ST1747 system the other day.   Luckily I spotted this forum just in time.   

I may order an i5 based system from Dell.     Does anyone know of a similar issue with the  i5-520M based system? 

I checked the A/C power adapter rating for several other companies who sell identical CPU  graphic card systems, including HP and Sony and all supply a 120 Watt adapter as a minimum.  I note that Dell actually supplies a 140 Watt adapter with their top line Alienware system running the i7 processsor, albeit a more powerful one.

0 Kudos
thorcyar
2 Iron

any news about a maybe A05 bios to definitely get rid off the 7 bips ?

any news about the power issue ?

anyone here having the same issue as me, that is to say launch a 3D game (dragon age origins), close it, launch a video (TV USB stick and pouchin tv mod) and face the graphics driver crash ... looping crash ?

and please, stop going off topic and asking about the core i5 or the sony power supply, or I don't know what ... this is not the place

0 Kudos
Highlighted
webman-1747
1 Copper

Ok community,

here I am at last. I'm from ITALY and I've read your forum lately (unfortunately, as for many others, I did not know about it before buying).

My blood froze when I got to read your posts: as for all of you, I bought a New Dell Studio 1747, and I did at the beginning of this month, expecting to get it on late February 2010.

After I read the forum, few days ago I decided to ask Dell what was going on and to let me know EVERYTHING about any known issues they should tell to customers upon (or better prior to) ordering a new PC from them. The girl, who is following my order from the beginning, was kind of puzzled at first, then told me candidly (that's what it seemed by the tone of her voice) that they don't know anything about it, nor anyone from "upper floors" instructed them at all on any problems regarding this Notebook.

According to Dell, it looks like they are NOT HAVING ANY issues about this matter here in ITALY:  how can it be? she's been selling 20 of them everyday (that's what she said), and NEVER had a complaint on this matter from any customer so far (nothing about neither freezing nor fan speed nor throttling, and thus no need of a Bios/130wPSU updates/upgrades ! ). Moreover she firmly told me that so far customers are all enjoying the PC.

Nothing to say to her, I mean it looks to me she's been doing a good job, but apart from believing that Dell sells the only working 1747 laptops here, there are 2 reasons to this: is Dell Italy lying on these 1747 issues? or is Dell NOT passing on these informations to Dell Italy? Shall I still trust this company now and in the future? She told me to stay calm and to believe to what she said, and that's what I'm doing. Am I a fool?

I read very few posts from Italians: has ANYONE here in ITALY had any problem with this Notebook? Did you report it to Dell at all? Any answer from them? PLEASE all of you step  out! come out here and speak on this forum... any informations could be useful to anyone here and could make a difference to many.

I really hope everything can be solved  the soonest: this is my first notebook ever, and my very first Dell pc I have ever bought so far... don't want to regret it!

Thanks to AX-Turbo and thanks to everyone of you for bringing out this matter (and possible solutions)!

0 Kudos
Daniel.r.ctech
1 Copper

Everyone gets the same laptops no matter where you live. I guess not everyone tests there laptops.

90 WATT is not enough for your laptop, that is an issue and you can not solve it.
Other brand use a 120 watt why you think that is.

Cancel it, buy a sony or hp what ever.

0 Kudos
wizk1
1 Copper

Cancel it, buy a sony or hp what ever.

To be honest, HP are as bad, if not worse than Dell when it comes to acknowledging issues with their laptops. Just do a search for "HP lies" in the search engine that rhymes with shpoogle.

0 Kudos
Daniel.r.ctech
1 Copper

you are right that might be true. Most companies will i think. Only this particular product of dell is a faulty one wich you should not buy.

Ah hell, i'm buying a sony so i don't care!

0 Kudos