odehaan
1 Copper

Re: ST1747: dead Core i7's - 7x Bios Beep - MHz trips - too less A/C adapter?

Here is what the arithmetics (not electrical engineering!) tells us: in order to function in its FULL potential, a system with only a CPU, Video card and HDD requires at least 45 W + 48 W + 2 W = 95 W power supply. So, statements like "90 W should be sufficient" are apparently false...

I agree, there is no denying that. Also, no need to have an engineers degree to be able to do that kind of math. Others have already pointed this out and although the 'wait for the next bios' thing is giving us all hope, there has been no answer from any tech guy how to solve this lack of power.

----

On a whole different matter: does anyone find the booting-up time of the 1747 rather long? Since it's out of the box, without further programmes installed, it boots up significantly slower than my older XPS M1710 with Vista, (which has been clugged up by 3 years of use). I find that odd. (Received the system with A05).

0 Kudos

Dear Dell,

you are constantly telling us about "electrical engineering" degrees, BIOS updates, etc. I am no engineer myself but I am a computer scientist and tend to be pretty good in arithmetics. So, I am just going to put things as simple as possible. I did nothing more than Google-ing the power consumption of the components inside the Studio 1747 laptop that I have. Here is what I found out:

According to Intel, the power consumption of the Core i7 720QM is up to 45 W.

According to AMD, the power consumption of the ATI Radeon HD 4650 is up to 48 W.

According to Seagate, the power consumption of the 7200 RPM laptop HDD is up to 2 W.

Now, let's just forget that the system has also 8 GB RAM, HD display, backlit keyboard and everything else that (might) use some power.

Here is what the arithmetics (not electrical engineering!) tells us: in order to function in its FULL potential, a system with only a CPU, Video card and HDD requires at least 45 W + 48 W + 2 W = 95 W power supply. So, statements like "90 W should be sufficient" are apparently false...

If I am wrong, please correct me!

As we've stated before we're not going to get into discussions on particular power draw of any components.   Our internal engineers are using the data provided them directly by the manufacturers of those components.  

Let the BIOS update happen, and if it doesn't resolve the issue then we can revisit the problems.  

0 Kudos
Rich1974
1 Nickel

Yes, the bootup time of the 1747 borders on ludicrous.  I notice that at one point the "look" of the loading screen changes somewhat, like it was going through some sort of init process for the video. 

I'm not saying that's the problem, exactly, but shame on Dell for not having newer graphics drivers for these laptops.    My Displayport still does not work properly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
AX-Turbo
1 Nickel

once again I would like to remind the Dell Engineer Empire that there are still two other problems with the 1747:

- many Studios still didn´t wake up correctly after a view hours sleep/hibernate mode! Ok there seems to be no more 7x beep issues, but many people here only can wake up the Studio by turn it off and on "hard" by holding power button.

- also the 1747 can´t play FullHD videos in fullscreen mode! One time they playing a view minutes, next time a hour - but sooner or later the system is 100% loaded/busy and is almost unresponsive, extremly jerking! People tried out different ATI Catalyst drivers, same result! So please Dell check this out too, it´s simple to reproduce, and it´s not the job of the users to find a solution for it. They would, but at the moment they´ve tried out all possible things and nothing helps!

0 Kudos
biergary
1 Nickel

I can confirm the second problem on my studio 17 with standard config!

0 Kudos
bezet
1 Nickel

As we've stated before we're not going to get into discussions on particular power draw of any components.   Our internal engineers are using the data provided them directly by the manufacturers of those components.

Let the BIOS update happen, and if it doesn't resolve the issue then we can revisit the problems.

Dear Todd S

You are telling us to beLIEve  engineers. But if they are WRONG, what next? They will be testing more powerful PSU next 2-3 months? You must understand, that situation like throttling shouldn't happened. This is engineers fault and You are telling us to trust them? Again? How log You want us to wait?

0 Kudos
j-o-h
2 Bronze

According to AMD, the power consumption of the ATI Radeon HD 4650 is up to 48 W.

When you add up the wrong figures, the result cannot be correct. You took the power consumption of the ATI Radeon HD 4650 desktop version.  The ST 1747 (hopefully) has built-in the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650. I guess the power consumption is below or around 20 W ... but I ATI/AMD seem to keep silent on the actual value. 

0 Kudos
biergary
1 Nickel

@j-o-h

Notebookcheck.com is giving 35 watts power cosumption which is quite reliable cause the mobility card is not that far away from the performance of the desktop version. Turn it around as you will, when you plugin usb devices and raise the brightness to max, there is no way that Bios A07 can magically fix the issue.

@ Todd

I am curious too, how much longer will it take? A07 won´t fix the problem without a new adapter.

0 Kudos
j-o-h
2 Bronze

I just found a power rating (TDP) for the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650: 28 W

Source: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4000-Serie

CPU TDP: 45 W

GPU TDP: 28 W

2 hard drives: 2 x 1.55 W = 3 W

Total: 76 W so far – ie. 14 W left.

Maybe someone would like to work out (typical) figures for the other components (RAM, DVD drive, WLED monitor etc.)

0 Kudos

@ Todd

I am curious too, how much longer will it take? A07 won´t fix the problem without a new adapter.

I'm sorry if you believe that is true.   From our internal review and information provided to us we don't believe a 130w adapter will be required.   But once the updated BIOS is released, and again we don't have a time frame for that yet, then it's all speculation that it won't work.   If, once it is released, it doesn't resolve the issue we'll review it at that time.   Anything else is, again, speculation.

0 Kudos