Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 26th, 2014 17:00

STOP: 0x000000A5 ACPI error during fresh winxp/win7 installation

Hi expert,

My new laptop is Inspiron 15 Non-Touch - Inspiron 3531 with win8, and it seems everything is good, but I don't like win8, I just want to go back win7 or winxp. When I try to install the new OS, I got the same error message,like " STOP: 0x000000A5 ACPI error "

I upgraded the bios to the latest one under win8 already.

thank you

3 Posts

July 28th, 2014 06:00

Can confirm the A02 BIOS fixes this issue.

I upgraded to A02 from the Windows 8 preloaded on the machine, then was able to correctly boot to Windows 7 from USB key and install.

Unfortunately Dell, this came too late. The courier is booked to collect this laptop in the morning.

3 Posts

July 9th, 2014 23:00

Can confirm i'm getting this issue as well.

Have opened a return with Dell for this laptop.

Sounds like they need to produce a BIOS fix for this one!

July 16th, 2014 08:00

Same problem here on 5 of these laptops. BSOD 0X00000A5! Dell update the BIOS ASAP! All my customers hate Win8/8.1!

3 Posts

July 16th, 2014 20:00

Have you disabled SecureBoot and UEFI and USB 3.0 functionality?

SecureBoot is disabled, Legacy BIOS enabled. (Also tried UEFI boot just in case)

USB 3.0 tried both disabled and enabled. A note that USB 3 works in Windows 7, so this isn't required.

Are you using up to date Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 and the Media Refresh Update media?

Yes, Windows 7 SP1 media fully updated. Tried both 32 and 64 bit. This media has worked on every machine in the past (and indeed I've done others since this incident without trouble)

Also have you tried loading F6FLPY Drivers?

Not able to get to this point, nor is it required as Windows 7 understands AHCI natively.

This is most definitely a Dell BIOS issue, and until the BIOS code can be rectified, Windows 7 cannot be used on this model of laptop.

3 Posts

July 28th, 2014 05:00

Is there any resolution to this? I also have a 3531 here minus an OS because I wanted to put 7 on it.

If there is a BIOS fix in place I'd be pleased to know, otherwise this one is going back too.

cheers,

D.

3 Posts

July 28th, 2014 07:00

Brilliant - thanks for the update.

I downloaded Rufus and created a DOS USB bootkey with the BIOS update copied on to it afterwards ( in the root of the USB key ).

Booted the Laptop in to DOS, executed the BIOS update ( just type the filename at the prompt - send 'dir' first if you need to check the name, and it will show the available files in the root ) , and be patient as it takes a minute or two to sort itself out and will go through a reboot to install, then reboots in to DOS.

finally, switch off the UEFI stuff in the BIOS, and then boot from your chosen install media.

upgrading to 7 now. :-)

thanks!

No Events found!