Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2016 09:00

Samsung 950 Pro M2 NVMe not found

I have a samsung 950 pro I am trying to install into my brand new Inspiron 15 7000 (7559) laptop. There was a 128gb M2 in the slot, but it is too small for my programs. I thought the greater speed of the 950 would be nice along with more storage.

The computer does not recognize the drive at all and I have searched and read until my eyes bleed and can't find any reason it should not (or should) work on this machine.

This is the Skylake  version, the specs from Speccy say the PCIe lanes is x16. Here is a screenshot of my mobo.

Has anyone had success with this in the Inspiron? I have updated the Bios to 1.0.3. What am I missing? No matter what I read and try this drive is not showing in bios, computer management, nowhere. Is the drive defective??

January 6th, 2016 16:00

I tried the same with similar results using a Samsung 951 NVMe PCIe 3.0, expecting the Skylake Chipset that support it (checked Intel HM170 before buying) to work..

In fact I found out later is that only SATA III is supported on this machine, so no PCIe NVMe! Unbelievable as chipset should be able to and PCIe is way forward, hope it can be fixed with bios update still somehow. Can't keep my hopes up so I am selling my 951 PCIe!  

3 Posts

January 7th, 2016 13:00

And yet other laptops (from Dell no less) are able to use this. Great. I guess getting the latest hardware doesn't mean what it used to.

Even if it didn't get the full speed yet (and a later Bios would fix that?) to not have the drive even show up is ridiculous.

And how can we find out the EXACT particulars of our chips and boards to see what they DO support? This chipset is supposed to support this drive and be NVMe enabled. Why has Dell crippled it?? If it isn't crippled, tell me why it isn't working.

12 Posts

January 7th, 2016 14:00

In my opinion, it is incumbent on Dell to put out meaningful specifications that provide sufficient detail so buyers of their products know exactly what they are getting.

I have similar issues with my Alienware 15 R2 Skylake.  I am trying to determine what the M.2 ports support, yet the Dell specification provide literally NO information regarding what the M.2 interface capabilities are.  Like your machine, mine has the HM170 chipset which is fully capable of supporting PCIe x4 but does it? 

Without knowing whether the mother board supports the PCIe hardware interface, whether the BIOS enables PCIe in the HM170 chipset, you cannot be sure.

Now I contacted Dell Tech support and the answer I got was that the Alienware 15 R2 motherboard only supports SATA II on the M.2 interface.

I later found someone on the notebookreview forums who has the same Alienware 15 R2 and he installed a 950 Pro, and claims that his M.2 slots support PCie x4 on slot 1 and PCie x2 on slot 2? 

And this guy is a notebook consultant.

So who do I believe, Dell Tech Support or the notebook consultant who had done and install and tested and benchmarked it?

This is what galls me about Dell.  You can't rely on getting hold of a knowledgeable Tech on their support lines and the documentation on their hardware just completely ***.

When  you have a specification, for the M.2 for example that just says "M.2 PCIe/SATA" you have no idea really.  Is it PCIe only?  Is it PCIe x2, or x4?  Is it SATA only?  Is it SATA I, SATA II, or SATA III?  Is it both?

Without this detail, the specification is useless and you wind up drawing conclusions about a given system that may very well be incorrect.

So come on Dell--get with the program and do a better job specifying your systems and documenting them. 

I can tell you that if this Alienware laptop had not been a gift it would have gone straight back for a refund due to a specification that said PCIe, but an interface that did not support it.

Its called misleading advertising.

Not only that, it wouldn't hurt to better educate your Tech support people on what your machines can actually do.

2 Posts

January 8th, 2016 19:00

I find a solution for alienware 15 R2 skylake can install SS PRo950 Pcie SSD.

First you have to get a usb with a window 10 bootable. then install a new window in boot option and you will see your ssd drive to select to install

hope this will help your problem

www.reddit.com/.../my_alienware_15_r2_bios_wont_recognize_my_samsung

unfortunately my 7559 cannot install it yet  T-T

2 Posts

January 8th, 2016 19:00

I Try to search information everywhere for install ss 950 pro 512 to my Dell 7559.unfortuneately the answer is Dell 7559 not support Pci-e ssd device

hope Dell supporter fix this with new bios to make my dell 7559 can use Pci-e SSD soon T-T

1 Message

March 27th, 2016 14:00

Do you have the latest Bios?  Did you install the driver from Samsungs website?

7 Posts

April 5th, 2016 14:00

Hi, were you able to use the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD on your Dell 7559? Did you try to install windows from the USB?

3 Posts

June 4th, 2016 14:00

Greetings,

I have same laptop (15 R2 Skylake) as yours and want to buy M2 ssd drive. I wanted to buy Samsung 950 pro but after reading your comment it seems my laptop wont support it? Is there any new solutions or should I just go for the Samsung 850 evo?

I would really appreciate your help

1 Message

July 9th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

Dell 7559 still does't support PCIE m.2 port. Recently I bought brand new ssd from samsung 951 series with it's outstanding read speed and nothing seem to work. I  have the latest BIOS 1.1.8 in my laptop. 

What's the point of giving this kind of port and not supporting it ? Dell sholud give a simple info on the chassis like on RAM slot (they say only DD3L) which is simple. Why not give "m.2 only SATA III compatibile"

Laptop is generally the best price gaming oriented PC on the market but little things matter too. 

Dell listen to consummers :)

7 Posts

July 12th, 2016 12:00

Hi, did you try these methods? Method 3 maybe?

www.dell.com/.../EN

1 Message

September 4th, 2016 12:00

I'm sure you know this already, but the 7559 does not support M.2 PCI-e. If you looking at the Specs manual under storage, it ONLY lists "SATA 6 Gbps" for both 2.5" and M.2. No PCI-e. So Dell has done their part (at least on this laptop) on telling the consumer what the specs are for storage. Though they don't seem to tell you the length of the drive.

37 Posts

January 22nd, 2017 22:00

Does anyone know if there is news on this front? I really feel that with it being an M.2 drive, it even use the form factor of M.2, it should support NVMe. I am very disappointed in Dell if its the case that it won't. This is supposed to be top of the line computer setup for gaming? But they don't support the fastest drives? I am actually feeling deceived by Dell on this. This is my second Alienware and now I realize I can't trust Dell anymore, will have to go with another brand next time most likely, one that you can trust to deliver on the specs... Too bad because I have enjoyed 5 Dell computers in my life. Time to move on to a better brand I guess.

7 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 08:00

I think Pcie nvme is now supported on the xps 9550, I just checked the online specs and it was updated to reflect Pcie support under storage.

7 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 10:00

Sorry, wrong forum.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 23rd, 2017 10:00

There's a big difference between an Alienware and the Inspiron 7559 in this thread - what model system are you asking about?

No Events found!