Highlighted
Not applicable

Samsung M.2 SSD Upgrade for Latitude 12 (E5270)

Hey folks. I've got a Latitude E5270 and love it, but the 128GB M.2 SSD is too small. I would like to upgrade to a new Samsung EVO 950 SSD, but someone told me the BIOS won't even see it. Other said it may not be compatible without some special adapter.

From what I can see after inspecting the current SSD and the way it's installed, the Samsung SSD would fit, but I'm dead in the water if the BIOS won't see it in order to install Windows 7 Pro. I'm also being led to believe by Microsoft that this system cannot upgrade to Windows 10 for some reason, but that's another discussion.

Any thoughts on the SSD situation by someone who's tried this upgrade?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Not applicable

RE: Samsung M.2 SSD Upgrade for Latitude 12 (E5270)

I recently purchased a Latitude E5270 with the goal of upgrading the M.2 SSD shortly after I took delivery.  I decided to install a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2, because the largest SSD that the E5270 supports is 512GB.  I used the Samsung SSD data migration utility and I attached the new Samsung SSD using a Unitek Y-3365-BK adapter.  Although the data migration worked perfectly, it took lots of effort for me to mount the new SSD in the Unitek adapter due to the very poor English language instructions and a 2mm machine screw and washer that weren't packaged with the adapter!  So I recommend that you use another adapter!

I can't answer your question about the Samsung 950 EVO M.2.  However, I'm very happy with my new 850 EVO SSD!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

RE: Samsung M.2 SSD Upgrade for Latitude 12 (E5270)

M.2 slots can be wired to accept only SATA-based SSDs or both SATA and NVMe/PCIe-based SSDs.  Usually these M.2 slots are differentiated by the number of plastic tabs (gaps in the pins) that exist along the connector, with one gap meaning both SATA and NVMe are supported and two gaps meaning only SATA is supported (which prevents you from plugging an NVMe SSD into a slot that only supports SATA) -- but this isn't universal. I've seen M.2 slots that only have one plastic tab and will therefore physically accept an NVMe SSD but won't interface with it.  However, the 5270's product page here specifically mentions support for NVMe, so you should be good to go, although you may need to switch your SATA configuration in the BIOS between AHCI and RAID if you find that it's not detected upfront. The only other possibility would be if only certain variants of the 5270 supported NVMe, perhaps based on what CPU was installed, but I don't think Dell does that.

Two further notes: There's now a newer 960 Evo if you want to investigate that, and I'm not sure whether you plan to do a clean install or image your existing setup and restore it onto the new SSD, but for a clean install you'll need to supply an NVMe driver if you're installing Windows 7 (newer versions of Windows Setup have native NVMe support) and if you're doing a migration AND you end up needing to change that SATA configuration in your BIOS, you may find that the restored image doesn't boot.  There are some workarounds for that, but they're a bit more involved.  You can Google for them though using something like "Fix boot when switching between AHCI and RAID".

0 Kudos