Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2012 15:00

Samsung SSD promotion is false advertisement

About a month ago we purchased a very well speced Latitude D6530 but we have been busy at work so I just now had the time to sit down today and start getting it set up for my boss. I was excited to see how it would perform knowing it had a 3rd gen Core i7, 6GB of RAM and a top of the line 256GB Samsung SSD. On first boot I was not impressed and quite frankly it didn't even feel like an SSD but I played it off to all of the OEM config and first boot setup. I shut it down and hit the power button and once again wasn't impressed with the performance through boot or general usage. So I hit the Device Manager and realized it wasn't a Samsung SSD in it at all - no it was a Lite-On LCT-256M3S.

Now I understand as it has been in the past with mechanical hard drives - you don't get to pick your brand of drive. However, what is your thought when you look at the attached image below of the hard drive selection area when configuring a Latitude E6530? This tells me that by changing from the default mechanical drive selection and choosing one of the two solid state drive options below I will be getting a Samsung brand SSD and I will be saving 50$. Two problems with that - you don't get a Samsung SSD and you don't save $50  (at least that savings is not shown anywhere that is visible while configuring the system). On top of that it's very over priced. For that 256GB upgrade Dell is charging $362.10 - ON TOP of the 320GB mechanical drive. Even if it was the Samsung 830 series 256GB drive - it is currently going for $219 on Newegg - on sale none the less (normally $279.00).

The price is one thing - but the real thing that is bothersome here is the fact that the "advertisement" shown in this hard drive selection area is clearly misleading and completely false and customers are getting much lower end SSDs when they are paying for premium SSDs.

Just thought I would post this to inform others that might be looking at Dell's SSDs and to point out the FALSE ADVERTISEMENT. Thankfully we have a Premiere Account with Dell and when I discovered this earlier I put a call into my account manager and we are getting a $200 credit back, get to keep the Lite-On SSD and I just put an order into Newegg for a real Samsung SSD.

3 Posts

December 8th, 2012 21:00

FWIW, the Lite-On drive has better benchmark scores than the Samsung 830.

No Events found!