Highlighted
bhead9318
1 Copper

Screen brightness doesn't work on XPS 14 & Windows 10

Hi all,

After updating to Windows 10 I'm sure that many other XPS 14 owners like myself are having screen brightness issues - it just doesn't work at all if you have the Intel HD 4000 and Nvidia graphics.  For the time being I've found on various forums that if you change the adapter driver back to the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" that the screen brightness works - and it indeed does.

I wanted to give a shoutout to Dell and Intel to see if they could get working on a graphics fix for the current iteration of the HD 4000 driver.  If your website says you've tested this laptop and Windows 10 works on it - then why don't the graphics drivers?

Does anyone else have a workaround they'd like to share?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Screen brightness doesn't work on XPS 14 & Windows 10

Hi behead9318,

Thanks for posting your workaround in the Forum.

Certain systems have been targeted for compatibility with Windows 10 and have been tested by Dell Engineering to ensure that the Upgrade to Windows 10 is successful.

In rare cases, it is possible that some of the drivers associated with hardware components on some of these platforms will not support the Upgrade to Windows 10 nor will they be updated by our hardware vendors.

Depending on the severity of the issue and the feature that it effects, certain platforms may be removed or withdrawn from the compatibility list.

We will be documenting known issues and making that information available to customers on http://www.dell.com/support.

Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
jchao2
1 Nickel

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your response. I have the same problem so your post was informative.   I did look at your link (http://www.dell.com/support) but could not find where is the documentation for known issues.   Could you post a more detailed link?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
bhead9318
1 Copper

Just figured out the problem - apparently it's a registry error.

Here's the solution I found on another post:

I have Intel UMA graphics and only had to update the one registry. 

I needed to change only the first line in registry: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000] "FeatureTestControl"=dword:0000ffff

Make sure you backup your registry first!