Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

6 Posts

February 4th, 2009 05:00

Screen displays only "static" after random amounts of time.

Hey, so, I've had this issue for several months and haven't been able to find a single thing about it.

I've searched the forums, but it's hard to describe, so I've made my own post with a picture :)

I'm using an old XPS M1710, with a self-installed Quadro FX2500M in it.
However, this problem used to occur before I installed the new graphics card.

The problem is:
After a random amount of time, often several hours, the screen will show only tv-like static - in the colours of whatever it is meant to display.
Picture here:

There doesn't appear to be any way to get the screen back, short of rebooting the laptop. Everything is still running happily behind that, but I can't see anything except that.

Now, if I'm running Ubuntu (instead of Win XP) and switch Desktop Effects (desktop compositing engine, Compiz-Fusion), then it's almost guaranteed to do this within 2 hours.
If Desktop Effects are switched off, then it could be anywhere from half an hour.... to a day and a half.

Thoughts on the problem? Solution? Anyone seen anything like it before?
I'm hoping it's something as simple as a setting somewhere, or reconnecting a wire, as I can't afford a new display/card.
Be aware that this has happened with *two* different graphics cards though. Sigh.

3.6K Posts

February 4th, 2009 05:00

At any time at all,can you see the screen in the normal state to be able to run diagnostics(extended test,not the short tests)?...

6 Posts

February 4th, 2009 06:00

That should be workable.

Will post results :)

Don't know why I didn't think of that...

6 Posts

February 7th, 2009 14:00

At any time at all,can you see the screen in the normal state to be able to run diagnostics(extended test,not the short tests)?...

Well, I finally found the time to get this out of the way.

And... all the tests passed rather cheerfully.

I know I should be pleased, but... Still don't know what's wrong :-\

3.6K Posts

February 7th, 2009 20:00

Well at least we know now that the video card is not bad.Did you update the bios(or is there a new bios available)?...

Have you tried going into the nvidia control panel and adjust settings?...I tried searching for solutions to this problem,but there is not a single hit for this at all,so this is going to take some time to work thru.

I forgot to ask,when you ran the diagnostics,did you actually see any video on the screen when it ran this test?....You should have seen an animation screen for the test it checks the Framerate.

6 Posts

February 13th, 2009 02:00

Sorry for the late reply, when you're being so helpful - I thought I'd subscribed to updates on the thread - but apparently not :)

Hmm, I have not updated the BIOS, and will check if there is a new one around.

The diagnostics showed plenty of video, I don't remember any framerate checking though, or an animation test that didn't appear as an epileptic fit inducing series of colour, or just standard "is your screen showing colour correctly" tests. Hmm, is it possible that this test was not run? Or possibly, my screen just showed black.
Is there a specific name for this animation test, so I can run it on it's own, and double check?

Haven't fiddled with the nVidia control panel, as to be honest, Ubuntu is my daily OS  but I'm still a linux newbie, and hadn't known where to look for the config.
Until about a second ago.
Looking through here, the only setting I don't really recognise is "Video Texture Adaptor: Sync to VBlank" - it's currently ticked.

Could this be the issue?

Compiz is a 3D desktop compositing engine that almost certainly renders textures... all the time, and the "crash" seems to happen more frequently when it's enabled.

I'll look up the setting, post results if any, etc.

6 Posts

February 13th, 2009 02:00

Sync to Vblank appears to be related to video tearing.

There are arguments around and about, for switching it off (with relation to Compiz).

So, I've done so, and switched Compiz on, to increase the chances of a screen crash, and speed up the "testing scenario".

Will report back if this appears to solve the issue, if it does, I imagine there will be a similar setting within the nVidia CP in Windows.

In the meantime, if you have any thoughts... still keen to hear 'em :D

6 Posts

February 13th, 2009 15:00

No luck.

Sync to Vblank switched off, Compiz back off again (for unrelated reasons) and several hours later, I'm staring at the familiar static screen.

Guess I'll start looking for a BIOS update.

No Events found!