Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 19th, 2013 21:00

Screen flickering and breaking up

Inspiron N5040

Since about 3 weeks ago the screen keeps flickering and breaking up.   It happens at random, but especially when starting up and if the laptop or screen is moved.  I can sometimes make it stop by adjusting the position of the screen, then it starts again. 

I followed the instructions on another thread for this and ran the LCD BIST.  The coloured screens appeared and did not flicker. In BIOS the screen didn't flicker. 

Please cam you advise me what you think is wrong and what I need to do to fix this.

Thank you.

October 20th, 2013 02:00

Hi Kangacat,

I’d be glad to assist you regarding the same, please follow the below mentioned steps to fix the issue.

1. Please shut down the computer, disconnect all the cables from the system and as nothing’s connected press and hold the power button for a minute which will release the flea power.
2. Restart the computer and install the BIOS, Chipset and Video drivers from the Dell’s support by clicking on the below link.
http://dell.to/1dFtXxL
3. Type in the Service tag, under Drivers and downloads select the Operating system and install the BIOS, Chipset and Video drivers.
4. Once done please restart the computer and notice any screen flickering.
5. Also try connecting an external monitor to your computer and let us know if there are any flickering.

Please complete these steps and let us know your findings.

6 Posts

October 20th, 2013 12:00

Thank you, I will try that (had to look up flea power!),

October 21st, 2013 09:00

Hi Kangacat,

Thank you for your response, please update the drivers as mentioned in the previous post and restart the computer to check the functionality.

Reply us if you’ve any questions / issues.

6 Posts

October 31st, 2013 13:00

Hi Munawar,

Thank you, I followed these instructions but it hasn't improved the problem of the screen flickering and breaking up.  Unfortunately I don't have a separate monitor to connect the laptop to. 

It seems to be related to the position or movement of the lid, also disconnecting the power lead sets it off.  Very grateful if you could please advise what else I should do.

KC

No Events found!