Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2015 01:00

Screen going crazy after display turns off

I have a new touchscreen XPS 13 2015 that I upgraded to Windows 10 today. Everything was working great, until the monitor resumed from sleeping. After resuming from sleep, using the touch pad causes the screen to go haywire, and makes using the system extremely difficult. The screen flickers, tears, and distorts images while using the touch pad. After using the touch pad, and not touching anything, the screen will continue to flicker sporadically. The only ways to stop this screen issue is to touch the screen and navigate using touch. Using touch, there is no issue present, and the screen works normally. The moment I go back to the touch pad, and the cursor is visible on the screen, the issue is present. The only way to fix this temporarily is to restart the system. The issue is only present after the monitor turns off, or the laptop lid is closed, or the system goes to sleep.

I updated the display driver to the most recent version from Intel's website, but that has not fixed my issue, so I thought I'd post here. Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE 8/29/15: Unfortunately this won't be very helpful to anyone else with this problem, but I took the steps to revert my system back to Windows 8.1 and I no longer have any screen issues. I'll revisit Windows 10 in a few months when I have more time to dedicate to this and hopefully updated drivers will be released to resolve the issue during that time. I appreciate all the feedback and hope this issue eventually gets resolved.

August 14th, 2015 13:00

Having the same problem.

August 25th, 2015 15:00

'Sorry, I have no solution to offer.

I am experiencing this very same problem on a brand new XPS13 (2015) which came with Windows 10 already installed.

I have seen there's a fix offered by Symantec, for Norton Antivirus users. But this laptop comes with McAfee and I've not yet uninstalled that (but maybe I should, since Norton users are told they may need to uninstall and reinstall that software).

I have tried a fix described elsewhere (disable two services: ‘Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel ‘and ‘Windows Error Reporting Service‘) but that didn't work.

I had hoped Dell wouldn't sell $1900 laptops without seeing if they could recover from sleep. But since there's been a screen flickering problem recorded for months, it's hard for me to conclude this is only the result of a recent Win10 update, from Microsoft.

August 25th, 2015 18:00

Dell's support web site offered an update to a driver, which I installed. Since the installation I have been able to put my XPS13 to sleep and wake it up again, without experiencing this problem.

Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer Driver
Chipset_Driver_KFR45_WN32_11.0.0.1153_A00.EXE

I will continue testing, to see if this driver has solved my problem.

August 26th, 2015 09:00

I have awakened this XPS13 several times now and have used both the touchpad and a bluetooth connected mouse (use of the mouse, with the Edge browser, used to consistently trigger the screen flicker). At no time has the screen flicker returned. It looks to me as though (at least for me) the update of the Intel Management Engine Components Installer Driver might have done the trick. Although what the connection is, between screen flicker/rapid resolution change and this driver, I do not know.

780 Posts

August 26th, 2015 10:00

Hi All,

I found a thread which has a work around, Can you please check if this has been tried already?

User:  jonatee

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19644197/20813991#20813991

Thanks.

August 26th, 2015 11:00

I did not try the solution suggested by this workaround, Dell-Gokul G

I'm thankful I didn't have to replace an up-to-date video driver with an older version, than prevent future updates. That sounds to me like a workaround I am happy to avoid.

August 26th, 2015 12:00

Ah. The flicker is back. My XPS didn't even go to sleep. It's plugged in to AC power and has been running for a few hours. I booted into the Chrome browser and the flicker began.

I'm sorry; I no longer know whether the driver update helped things.

August 27th, 2015 14:00

I haven't found a fix, but I may have stumbled across what for me is at least a workaround. . .

When my screen starts to flicker (this most often happens when I bring my XPS13 out of sleep), I adjust the resolution and then bring it back.

My screen is normally set to 1600 x 900, since WIndows 10 does such a lousy job of scaling at 3200 x 1800. When the screen starts flickering, I right click on a blank part of the desktop, select Graphic Options | Resolution | 3200 x 1800. In my case, the screen immediately stops flickering. I can then return the screen resolution to 1600 x 900 and there's no more flicker. That is, until the laptop comes out of sleep, again.

780 Posts

September 2nd, 2015 19:00

Hi,

Please send a private message with the computer's service tag.

To send a private message, click on my name and click start conversation.

Thank you

No Events found!