Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2016 23:00

Seagate firmware update failed

Hello

Using dell inspiron 5448 with HDD 1 TB + SSD 8 GB, windows 10, 64 bit working fine.

Found the new Seagate fimware on the dell support as follows

Seagate ST500LM000/ST1000LM014 Firmware Update

File Name: Kahuna V_ZPE.exe

Importance: Recommended

Description: Hard-Drive (47.16 MB)

Release Date: 09 Nov 2016

Version: DEMM/DEMN ,A05

The installation failed on my laptop with an alarm box showing unable to identify the boot partition, please use the USB boot key or CD ISO image of this utility instead.

Confused since installation instruction said just download and it will be automatically installed.

Called Dell but the agent said nothing they could do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

5 Posts

November 14th, 2016 06:00

I forgot to mention that the Kahuna V_ZPE.exe file will be unzipped into c:\dell\driver in which there is an installation file. Running that file shows that installation cannot be done due to unabling to identify the boot partition.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Or.....

:emotion-2:

right click windows logo, click 'Device Manager', expand Disk drives, right click Seagate drive, and then click 'Update Driver Software'.

5 Posts

I forgot to mention that  Kahuna V_ZPE.exe will be unzipped into C:\dell\driver in which there is an installation file. Running that file shows that installation cannot be done due to unabling to identify the boot partition.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

I suggest you right click windows logo (or click yellow folder), click and expand 'File Explorer', 'This PC', and then check to see if Seagate update is either in your downloads or documents. If yes, I suggest you open the file and click 'Run As Administrator'.

5 Posts

The second method also didn't work. It said the firmware is already the latest.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 14th, 2016 10:00

It does appear your Seagate firmware is already updated. If you still isn't satisfied, you can update from Seagate com. Please click on link below.

Firmware Updates for Seagate Products

knowledge.seagate.com/.../207931en

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 14th, 2016 10:00

Please keep in mind, your system get firmware/driver updates from windows updates (Microsoft) as well.

For example; right click Seagate drive again, and then Properties:

5 Posts

November 15th, 2016 04:00

No. The firmware from Microsoft is update but the Seagate's one is not. The latest version is A05, mine is A03, which was previously installed uneventfully.

Please refer to the installation instruction from Seagate

knowledge.seagate.com/.../004559en

I followed the instruction but the installation failed due to the boot partition cannot be identified for unknow reason.

I think the installation file might possibly be defective since there was no firmware information shown at the welcome screen (step 2).

Will stay with the current version. Waiting for the next version would be a better idea.

Thanks anyway.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 15th, 2016 09:00

" Will stay with the current version. Waiting for the next version would be a better idea "

Yes, agreed. Thanks for the update and link for others to see as well

No Events found!