Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2016 18:00

Secondary monitor won't turn off after the xps 15 turns it off.

My monitor which does turn on fine with other computers.  Doesn't turn back on when my laptop turns it off (due to inactivity [ie not asleep or anything]).  Changing the resolution or changing the project settings (ie extend, duplicate, etc) doesn't fix it only unplugging it an plugging it back in.

xps 15 9550.  All latest drivers from dell.

The monitor is plugged in via hdmi (kds brand)

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 24th, 2016 00:00

Hi RobbGee,

I would suggest you to connect a different monitor to check if you face the same issue. Also, please consider to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver from Dell website as these drivers are tested on the Dell system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Open the charms bar by moving the mouse to right top corner of the screen and in the search box, Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  2. Select the Display adapters listed and right click on it.
  3. Now select properties.
  4. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
  5. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
  6. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver first and then Nvidia/AMD card driver (If system is configured with discrete video card) on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

4 Posts

April 25th, 2016 23:00

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately it didn't fix the problem.  I also then tried the newest drivers from intel and nvidia and that didn't fix it either.  Interestingly enough I tested it by setting the screen timeout to 1 minute, to expedite the testing and if I move the mouse and bring the screen back on soon after it shuts off there's no problem.  But if the monitor remains off for 10 minutes or so then it doesn't come back on.  Unfortunately I only have the one external monitor, I have tested the monitor on different computers.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 27th, 2016 01:00

Hi RobbGee,

I’d suggest that you update BIOS and chipset driver on your computer to check for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS from BIOS section and chipset from chipset section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

4 Posts

June 24th, 2016 20:00

Thought I would re-open this.  I have a DELL monitor e2414h, hopping that it would fix the problem but it didn't.  I have now tried it on a TV and Three monitors.  Verified that I have all the latest drivers.

4 Posts

June 24th, 2016 20:00

I just wanted to add that the only way to bring the screen back on is to unplugging the hdmi and plug it back in.  Just turning the monitor off doesn't fix it (it says no signal when I turn it back on).  I do this 10 or so times a day so I feel like it may cause unnecessary wear on the laptop.

2 Posts

June 28th, 2016 23:00

I have the same problem on a XPS 15. I have installed Dell update which reports that all my drivers are up to date. The only way to get the monitor working after the laptop has been asleep for more than a few minutes is to unplug it.

This also happens sometimes to my USB Ethernet adaptor. It seems that the laptop does not power up the external ports correctly when it wakes up.

Interesting that if  I have a document presented on the external monitor before I goes to sleep the document is not visable on the laptop until the monitor is unplugged.

Would really appreciate this being resolved as its an embarrassing fault on a high end laptop !!

Cameron

1 Message

July 16th, 2016 22:00

Same issue here.  Using Dell UltraSharp U2412M monitor.  Really annoying since I paid a small fortune for this laptop.  Hopefully Dell can figure this out soon.

Dell UltraSharp U2412M Monitors

No Events found!