Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2014 13:00

Serious graphics problems with my new Inspiron 17R - 5737.

Hey guys!

I now turn to you, after trying almost everything in my power to fix this.

When trying to play anything (tried LoL, D3 and Hearthstone) on my new Inspiron 17R with switchable graphics (AMD 8870M) there's terrible to say the least graphicsperformance.

According to the specs of the computer, I should be able to run LoL (League Of Legends) on high with 60> FPS without any problems at all, but now when I open the game I get around 1-2 FPS on very low (my phone would handle it better). After doing some reading I've tried switching to "older" drivers (the one's located on the Dell website) with no luck, trying to reinstall Windows with no luck, and now I'm starting to see black, and have almost nothing more to test really...
Also tried putting everything on maximum performance in CCC under the PowerPlay menu.

If anyone of you have a good suggestion that would be so very much appreciated, becuase this is really starting to annoy me.

Kindest regards

/Quazer

17 Posts

February 5th, 2014 15:00

I wish there was a good suggestion. I have the same problem and am about as frustrated. I have an outstanding support call with Dell and they have just suggested a motherboard replacement on my 17R as a fix (wt*?!)

Another thread on this issue:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19542884.aspx

2 Posts

March 20th, 2014 06:00

Install latest drivers of Intel and AMD graphics, then go to Catalyst center (Ati graphic software ), go to Power->Switchable graphics application settings, add your application, and select "High Performance". Or, go to Switchable graphics application monitor, and turn monitor ON. Problem Solved :D

15 Posts

March 21st, 2014 12:00

I presume you got Windows 8.1 on your laptop.
I have the same exact problem. And one and only way to get rid of it is downgrade to Windows 8 or Windows 7. At least it worked for me.

2 Posts

March 21st, 2014 13:00

I actually found out that you can play games in windowed mode for more power, haven't tried downgrading, even though I presume it'll work better! 

15 Posts

March 21st, 2014 14:00

Well, there's another solution, that helped me.

I cleared ALL drivers and ALL programs that came with them. Open Device Manager, select your videoadapters, right click-properties-Driver-Delete than check "Delete all programs...". Do it with both of your videoadapters. Then restart your PC.
After restart go to Device Manager, select videoadapters, right click on Intel HD 4000 (the one without error mark) and pick Update Driver. After installation restart PC.
After restart download the latest drivers for video from AMD site, not Dell! Install them and you're good to go!
Well, seems like the only game, where this isn't working is League of Legends. But CPU's graphics can handle it.

June 25th, 2014 09:00

I do have the same problem are you sure that downgrading the windows will Help?

i got dell 17r-5737 with AMD 8870m i7 4500u and win 8.1

15 Posts

June 27th, 2014 08:00

It worked for me.
I decided to stick with Windows 8 for now.

July 8th, 2014 09:00

Do not blame AMD for this.

I have downgraded Intel HD Drivers (silently installed by Win8.1 update) with latest DELL (that are older, but necessary to make wakeup/hibernate mode to work properly), now everything is working as expected so far.

You want to disable auto-liveupdate and avoid to all cost liveupdate to apply again an update package with this signature:

[ ] - Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

DO NOT INSTALL THIS AT ALL COST. It will make your Dell 5737 R17 goes havoc under Win8.1

You can hide this update, keeping liveupdate turned on by default as well.

Regards,

Paolo Marani

1 Message

July 9th, 2014 12:00

Same problems here with same computer and graphics card. Windows 8.1 combo with Ati radeon 8870M and Intel HD Graphics. Ive tried updating and upgrading each component with My Dell and the Dell drivers page. ....

From the start i cant turn the computer off, it jues goes asleep and then i have to hard reset the laptop pressing the button 5 seconds.  

Some of the games A) dont use the Ati Graphics card B) blink as hell when i start them 

Imm using right now Catalyst control Center 14.4 which seems to enter some kind of conflicts with the OS Windows 8.1 and the upgrades theyve released until now.....  

15 Posts

July 21st, 2014 12:00

Hi, guys!
I've got a solution, that helped me with similar problem on my Inspiron 5520 (IntelHD4000+AMD7670+Windows8.1).
IDK, if it will help you or not, but it's worth to try ;)
What you got to do:

1. Disable drivers update in "Windows Update"
2. Uninstall/delete existing drivers for your graphic cards. For both of them. Restart if prompted.
3. Download and install these drivers
4. Follow the instructions provided. Restart when prompted.
5. Enjoy!

If you have any questions - ask :)
Hope it'll help ;)

17 Posts

July 22nd, 2014 09:00

You will find a solution  at RADEON 8870m   topic.

It is really works! Icould update my 8870m driver to the newest amd driver and got no problem with the sleeping ang turn off functions :)

July 22nd, 2014 11:00

Can you provide a LINK please ?

17 Posts

July 22nd, 2014 11:00

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19542884/20658191.aspx#20658191

This one really helped me and for others.I have been looking for a solution like u for a long time but it reayyl works!

1 Message

January 18th, 2015 01:00

I too had many problems with the combination of Windows 8.1 and the graphic drivers in my Inspiron 17R 5737.

It seems to be due to a software conflict.

With the help of Dell Support I had my laptop reïnstalled with Windows 8.0 and all problems were solved!

Kin regards,
Cakou

No Events found!