Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2010 11:00

Serious problem with graphics card ATI HD 5470 on Studio 1558

Last summer i made a financial effort and bought a Dell Studio 1558. I was an Asus fan but i said to me a change is always better. I was wrong. Everything was fine for a few months, i didnt encounter any problems that ive read on this forum but a few days ago without a warning my graphic card failed. In game i ussualy get 60-80 fps(modern warfare 2) now i only get 20 fps max(very laggy with freezes) with the same configuration as before. I tried everything: uninstall-install the video driver, get the latest driver from amd.com which didnt work, i let the windows to autoinstall the video card didnt work. The only solution that works for a while is to reinstall windows but is very unconfortable because in a few days this problem come back. Also when im trying to watch an HD video(1080p) it runs in slow motion. I hope some one from Dell read this message and find a solution because they can lose customers over this tiny problems without a solution. If you have a solution please post it here or if you need any logs or something ask and i will post them here. Thank you

My laptop config:

Cpu: Intel i5 M430 2.27 Ghz (4 Cpu)

Ram: 4 Gb/1066

Graphics card: ATI HD 5470 / 1GB

November 4th, 2010 11:00

Please note that the laptop is connected to the power source and Ati power play is set  for maximum performance.

5.2K Posts

November 4th, 2010 13:00

If reinstalling Windows solves the problem initially but then problems begin, the graphics card is OK. In addition, graphics cards don't fail by beginning to run slowly. Have you checked for virus or other malware problems?

November 4th, 2010 17:00

I found the solution.........nvidia physicx was the problem.......after i uninstall it works like before....but now my fan is running like crazy i belive this is a common problem for Dell laptops so it doesnt bother me. Anyway thank you for your intrest.

5.2K Posts

November 5th, 2010 09:00

How did you get Physicx installed? It is a part of the Nvidia driver for use only with Nvidia graphics.

High fan speed is usually due to dust inside or a problem with the heat sink(s). However, make sure that nothing of the Nvidia driver is left on the laptop. The free utility Driver Sweeper can do it.

November 7th, 2010 02:00

Nvidia Physicx can be modifyed to work with Ati graphic cards.....but with ATI HD 5470 it works only for a while, after that the graphic card crashes..........The fan problem is a general problem for Dell laptops no dust related........strange but the Nvidia Physicx solves this fan problem but affect ingame performance.

5.2K Posts

November 7th, 2010 08:00

The fan problem is not general, it occurs for various reasons and is certainly not pervasive. One is a bad BIOS. You can reset the  BIOS or reinstall the current one or a later version. The fan can also be bad. Many Dell fans have the temperature control sensors built into the fan, which is why most can not be controlled by third party control programs. Some, however, do respond to these utilities, so you can try several. 

Modifying Physicx to work with an ATI card may have modified the system BIOS or the video firmware.

2 Posts

November 9th, 2010 11:00

hello all,

i recently bought a dell 1558 laptop with i7 740 processor 4 gb ram and ati 5470 1 gb graphic card.

But i feel there is some problem with my graphic cards. I bought laptop for playing games, but i am very much disappointed.

All the games are very laggy, even with very low setting. when i check the benchmark with resident evil 5 i only got 24 fps, which is very low.

please some one advise what can i do furthur..

5.2K Posts

November 9th, 2010 14:00

At what level do you get 24 fps, low, med or high? Should be slightly better than 40, 20 and 10 for L, M, and high.

Please note that the CPU has very little influence on gaming performance, as most are more than fast enough; the GPU is most always the bottleneck.

The 5470 is only an entry level GPU, so not great performance is expected. See this REVIEW.

2 Posts

November 10th, 2010 07:00

Thanks for the quick reply,

I got 24 fps with high setting, but the game lags a 2 seconds. My friend had inspiron laptop with same graphic card, same game (RE 5) running smoolthly without lag. That is reason which made me thing my graphic card is faulty.

I think i made a mistake in selecting laptop, is there a way to changes graphic card, even though it is costly please advise me..

November 10th, 2010 11:00

More practical solution for you Balu:

Buy a good laptop cooler and uninstall or shut down all applications or drivers which can create a conflict with the video card driver(like Windows Viewer Event). It works for me.........now i can play games like COD Black Ops, Bad Company 2 without lag. But dont expect wonders......this laptop is not for gaming.....you should have buyed an ASUS with Nvidia graphic card.......is perfect for gaming and cheaper.

5.2K Posts

November 10th, 2010 13:00

There is nothing wrong with your graphics card. You are getting the expected performance.

Lagging periods are not a problem with the graphics card, but other processes running at the same time and taking up CPU time. You will need to disable anything that is using CPU cycles in competition with the graphics. A big problem is search indexing. Go to the services section of Computer Management and shut off indexing. If this doesn't help, go to Processes in the Task Manager and see what processes may be using up processor time. Click on Show Processes From All users and click the CPU tab to sort the Processes. The System Idle Process can be either at the top or bottom of the list; this shows the amount of time the CPU is NOT being used - high is good. The processes using the most amount of time will be near the Idle Processes, with the closest being the biggest problem. Undel idle conditions, you should hae a reading for the Idle Process of 85-90%. Anything less than this could be a problem. In addition to the Indexing program, some anti-virus programs can take up mucho CPU time. If you see big dips in the Idle Process, then look for the process that may be causing the dip. If you can't see a suspicious process, go to the View Tab and then Update Speed and pick a higher sample rate. It may take a while to figure this all out, but the problem most likely lies here.

February 23rd, 2012 10:00

I have a Dell laptop studio 1558 and the same trouble..."problema con ATI Graphic Drivers", when I try to solve this problem, windows 7  says: "This solution could not be downloaded

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most likely causes:

Your computer was unable to download the solution at this time. Check to make sure your computer is connected to the Internet, and then try to download the solution again later." PLEASE, HELP ME...!!!

2 Posts

April 8th, 2012 11:00

I have the exact same problem - This is very disappointing.  I am also left with no solution to address the problem.  I am using Studio 1558, i7, 8Gig RAM.  There is nothing else going on and I am not using it for gaming at all.  Any simple video demand (flash videos or other kinds, running and displaying a virtual machine, but no heavy graphical games!).  This has continued for a long period of time.  This is my 4th Dell Laptop, I am seriously thinking of moving from Dell for good.  They dragged their feet in addressing the issue while still under warranty and now I am left to my own devices.

Any help would appreciated.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 9th, 2012 10:00

The 5470 is not a gaming GPU.

2 Posts

April 9th, 2012 11:00

And I am NOT using it for gaming either.  In any case, this was the upgrade option offered when purchasing the laptop.  If it have had problems at the time I made my purchase, as it is obvious now, they should not have offered this option.  Did I mention this was the extra cost upgrade that is giving me the grief now!

No Events found!