laurentiu n.
1 Nickel

Re: Serious problem with graphics card ATI HD 5470 on Studio 1558

More practical solution for you Balu:

Buy a good laptop cooler and uninstall or shut down all applications or drivers which can create a conflict with the video card driver(like Windows Viewer Event). It works for me.........now i can play games like COD Black Ops, Bad Company 2 without lag. But dont expect wonders......this laptop is not for gaming.....you should have buyed an ASUS with Nvidia graphic card.......is perfect for gaming and cheaper.

0 Kudos
kirkd
4 Ruthenium

There is nothing wrong with your graphics card. You are getting the expected performance.

Lagging periods are not a problem with the graphics card, but other processes running at the same time and taking up CPU time. You will need to disable anything that is using CPU cycles in competition with the graphics. A big problem is search indexing. Go to the services section of Computer Management and shut off indexing. If this doesn't help, go to Processes in the Task Manager and see what processes may be using up processor time. Click on Show Processes From All users and click the CPU tab to sort the Processes. The System Idle Process can be either at the top or bottom of the list; this shows the amount of time the CPU is NOT being used - high is good. The processes using the most amount of time will be near the Idle Processes, with the closest being the biggest problem. Undel idle conditions, you should hae a reading for the Idle Process of 85-90%. Anything less than this could be a problem. In addition to the Indexing program, some anti-virus programs can take up mucho CPU time. If you see big dips in the Idle Process, then look for the process that may be causing the dip. If you can't see a suspicious process, go to the View Tab and then Update Speed and pick a higher sample rate. It may take a while to figure this all out, but the problem most likely lies here.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos

I have a Dell laptop studio 1558 and the same trouble..."problema con ATI Graphic Drivers", when I try to solve this problem, windows 7  says: "This solution could not be downloaded

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most likely causes:

Your computer was unable to download the solution at this time. Check to make sure your computer is connected to the Internet, and then try to download the solution again later." PLEASE, HELP ME...!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
admin2dev
1 Copper

I have the exact same problem - This is very disappointing.  I am also left with no solution to address the problem.  I am using Studio 1558, i7, 8Gig RAM.  There is nothing else going on and I am not using it for gaming at all.  Any simple video demand (flash videos or other kinds, running and displaying a virtual machine, but no heavy graphical games!).  This has continued for a long period of time.  This is my 4th Dell Laptop, I am seriously thinking of moving from Dell for good.  They dragged their feet in addressing the issue while still under warranty and now I am left to my own devices.

Any help would appreciated.

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

The 5470 is not a gaming GPU.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

admin2dev
1 Copper

And I am NOT using it for gaming either.  In any case, this was the upgrade option offered when purchasing the laptop.  If it have had problems at the time I made my purchase, as it is obvious now, they should not have offered this option.  Did I mention this was the extra cost upgrade that is giving me the grief now!

0 Kudos
Sourav Dey
1 Nickel

Can I upgrade my Dell laptop GPU from 5470 to higher version?

Currently, I am using ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470.

Model : Dell Studio 1558

Intel Core i3 CPU M350 2.27 GHz

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

No, you cannot - the chip is part of the mainboard.

0 Kudos
Sourav Dey
1 Nickel

Which Dell laptop should I buy to get better gaming experience in Studio or

Inspiron range?

I know Alienware is the best for gaming but it too expensive.

0 Kudos
Sourav Dey
1 Nickel

Which Dell laptop should I buy to get better gaming experience in Studio or

Inspiron range?

I know Alienware is the best for gaming but it too expensive.

0 Kudos