Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 9th, 2015 12:00

Service Tag and Express Service Code wont work (Dell Inspiron 1545)

I got a Dell Inspiron 1545 here and I want to check the system specifications on the Dell site. I always use the Service Tag for Dell systems but this tag isn't recognized.. Even the Express Service Code isn't recognized. I tried to contact through the Chat but it's getting closed everytime because I can only access the Chat for Sales Advisor. All other options for chat or e-mail are all dependent of my Service Tag. Can you please help me to figure out why it isn't working and what the system specifications are according to your system?

I can't post my Service Tag or Express Service Code here due to your rules so please contact me.

And sorry to say but it's a real annoying system that I can't send a mail without a working Service Tag. I've been looking for over an hour and there is no possibility to contact you without a service tag. The only possible way I found was chatting with the Sales Advisor but they closed the chat twice because I should contact the Technical Support.... really.... ..... .....

April 9th, 2015 12:00

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum.

Please check for your system Service Tag on BIOS screen, make a note of the Service Tag and check for the warranty details on Dell's support site here http://dell.to/1hcxG98.

Hope this helped.

April 9th, 2015 13:00

I did but the site doesn't recognize my service tag. Same goes for my Express Service Code.

However, in my search to a contact form I was able to enter my Express Service Code somewhere (don't know where anymore, I think somewhere to access the customer chat) and it was matched to my Service Tag by the system.

But when I enter my Service Tag (or Express Service Code) on the page you just gave, I get this error:

There’s no match for that Service Tag or Express Service code. Retype the code or browse for your product by selecting the "View products" option. Allow 48 hours for new devices to register on our site.

I can give you my service tag so you can check it yourself

April 10th, 2015 18:00

Hi Mark,

Please Provide us the system Service Tag / Express Service Code along with Order Number and Customer Number on a Private message.  To send a private message, click on my user name and select send a Private Message.

April 11th, 2015 05:00

Thank you for the help, I managed to send a mail to Dell, found an old conversation between me and Dell in my mailbox and used that mail.

Dell should really add a contactform for people to ask questions without requiring a service tag. It shouldn't be necessary to create an account here to be able to ask questions..

April 11th, 2015 19:00

Hi Mark,

We shall try checking with the following details on our tools. Please Provide us the system Service Tag / Express Service Code along with Order Number and Customer Number on a Private message.  To send a private message, click on my user name and select send a Private Message.

1 Message

December 15th, 2015 11:00

Hello I am having the exact same issue with  laptop I purchased 8 days ago. I have been getting thrown around for 4 hours from person to person. My service tag and Express service code are not recognized anywhere.

2 Posts

February 29th, 2016 14:00

Mark,

If you could help me I would appreciate it.  One of my PE2900 servers does not seem to have a Service Tag number.  It is running SBS2008. I have the number on the chassis but it does not work.  I tried from the command line: wmic bios get serialnumber to no avail.  I bought this server and 2 identical ones when they came off lease a few years ago.  I suspect that at some point the motherboard was replaced.  Can you give me any help?

Thanks,

Dick Glassber

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 30th, 2017 11:00

If the system was purchased other than from Dell, you must register it -- and if you have trouble registering and have purchased from a third party, you'll need to have the seller find out why you are having trouble.

Systems sold by Dell and Dell authorized sources generally present no issues -- those sold by third parties -- often do have issues, particularly when they're obtained through "grey-market" channels.

registration (US):

www.dell.com/.../retailregistration

22 Posts

August 30th, 2017 11:00

It seems like a really common problem. I have bought a, Inspiron 3668 desktop and the tag is not recognised. This means I effective have no support from Dell.

I think it happens a lot, but most consumers don't notice until they need support - when the nightmare begins.

I have reported it and am now a week in, and haven't got a fix or even a fix time. :-(

No Events found!