Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2017 08:00

Service tag not in system for ThunderBolt Dock 16

I can't update my dock since it gives an error every time I try to update. I tried manual updates but BIOS files never show up, I think the problem lies with my service code not being in the system.

I tried entering the service tag and express service tag but it says it's not a valid product. If I provide the service tag and express service tag on this forum, would it be entered in the system so to speak? I also get critical updates and when I click update, an error occurs so my dock is not in sync with my XPS in terms of drivers. When I try to do manual updates, I'm only given 3 files and can't find bios files anywhere.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 7th, 2017 16:00

Erratic TB16 dock behavior, particularly with respect to USB devices, immediately after updating the XPS 13 9360 to the latest BIOS is a known issue for which several threads have already been created in this section.  In short, there isn't a fix yet.  Some people have found that downgrading to an earlier BIOS works, but others have not found success there.

EDIT: Looks like a new BIOS, Thunderbolt driver, and Thunderbolt firmware were released today.  I would install all of those in that order to see if that resolves the issue.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 5th, 2017 11:00

My service tag is not in the system either but I can update my software.  The Firmware and drivers are not for the Dock but for your computer and can be downloaded from the TB16 support site.

8 Posts

August 5th, 2017 12:00

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't aware that the bios was for the computer and not the dock. I only have 4 files available when going to the TB16 support site and all of them are up to date. I manually updated to the latest bios yesterday (Dell XPS 13 9360 System BIOS V2.1.0) and my wireless mouse loses connection and wired keyboard isn't responsive (hitting a key sometimes acts like a sticky key and 10-20 characters appear with a single press). Everything worked perfectly before updating the BIOS. When I open up SupportAssist I get the following notification:

"Critical updates are available for your Dell Thunderbolt Dock. Dell strongly recommends that you install these updates now to prevent potential issues."

But when I clidk the update button, I get an error. I'll try to contact support to determine why I get the error and issues after updating the latest firmware. Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 5th, 2017 13:00

There are three drivers available for the TB 16.  All were posted in the last few days.

There are several threads about a Bios update for some systems causing TB16 problems with USB although my 9365 has not yet encountered any.  But I haven't tried a wired keyboard although the mouse and flash drives seem to work fine.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 7th, 2017 10:00

Armando72

You can click the link to download the tb16 drivers. 

TB 16 Drivers and Downloads

8 Posts

August 7th, 2017 22:00

Thank you for the info! I think that may have fixed the issue. My mouse is fine but my keyboard still behaves like I have a sticky key but could just be my keyboard starting to act up. Either way, I'll keep an eye for future updates Thanks!

In the meantime, I was plugging my mouse and keyboard directly to my XPS so it solved it temporarily as the monitors always worked fine.

No Events found!