Highlighted
Armando72
1 Nickel

Service tag not in system for ThunderBolt Dock 16

Jump to solution

I can't update my dock since it gives an error every time I try to update. I tried manual updates but BIOS files never show up, I think the problem lies with my service code not being in the system.

I tried entering the service tag and express service tag but it says it's not a valid product. If I provide the service tag and express service tag on this forum, would it be entered in the system so to speak? I also get critical updates and when I click update, an error occurs so my dock is not in sync with my XPS in terms of drivers. When I try to do manual updates, I'm only given 3 files and can't find bios files anywhere.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

RE: Service tag not in system for ThunderBolt Dock 16

Jump to solution

My service tag is not in the system either but I can update my software.  The Firmware and drivers are not for the Dock but for your computer and can be downloaded from the TB16 support site.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Armando72
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't aware that the bios was for the computer and not the dock. I only have 4 files available when going to the TB16 support site and all of them are up to date. I manually updated to the latest bios yesterday (Dell XPS 13 9360 System BIOS V2.1.0) and my wireless mouse loses connection and wired keyboard isn't responsive (hitting a key sometimes acts like a sticky key and 10-20 characters appear with a single press). Everything worked perfectly before updating the BIOS. When I open up SupportAssist I get the following notification:

"Critical updates are available for your Dell Thunderbolt Dock. Dell strongly recommends that you install these updates now to prevent potential issues."

But when I clidk the update button, I get an error. I'll try to contact support to determine why I get the error and issues after updating the latest firmware. Thanks

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

There are three drivers available for the TB 16.  All were posted in the last few days.

There are several threads about a Bios update for some systems causing TB16 problems with USB although my 9365 has not yet encountered any.  But I haven't tried a wired keyboard although the mouse and flash drives seem to work fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

Jump to solution

Armando72

You can click the link to download the tb16 drivers. 

TB 16 Drivers and Downloads

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Erratic TB16 dock behavior, particularly with respect to USB devices, immediately after updating the XPS 13 9360 to the latest BIOS is a known issue for which several threads have already been created in this section.  In short, there isn't a fix yet.  Some people have found that downgrading to an earlier BIOS works, but others have not found success there.

EDIT: Looks like a new BIOS, Thunderbolt driver, and Thunderbolt firmware were released today.  I would install all of those in that order to see if that resolves the issue.

Armando72
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank you for the info! I think that may have fixed the issue. My mouse is fine but my keyboard still behaves like I have a sticky key but could just be my keyboard starting to act up. Either way, I'll keep an eye for future updates Thanks!

In the meantime, I was plugging my mouse and keyboard directly to my XPS so it solved it temporarily as the monitors always worked fine.

0 Kudos