Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2009 18:00

SigmaTel audio drivers for Windows 7

Why hasn't Dell gotten new audio drivers from IDT (the new owners of SigmaTel) and posted them on the Dell download site?  IDT requires that new drivers are only available through the retailer.  How long do we have to wait before the microphone and speakers will behave properly in Windows 7?  Is it too much to ask that a computer that is 6 month old can be updated to the latest operating system with workable drivers?

40 Posts

November 28th, 2009 19:00

You're speaking for me too.

Some people might not even realize it yet but you're speaking for them too

I asked about it and was ignored.  I'm not sure if you're having the same problems as I am having

but maybe we should just try to hype up this post and see if it gets some results.

9 Posts

November 29th, 2009 00:00

I can only agree!

I have a Precision M6300 laptop and find it in general pretty poor that there are no Windows 7 drivers for it. The Precision M6300 is not that old and as professional model it should get longer supported with drivers. Especially with drivers for  Windows 7 since many who stayed away from Vista are now going from XP to 7. 

40 Posts

November 29th, 2009 06:00

You can get IDT drivers from intel but they don't seem to work.

You have to uninstall the sigmatel driver which is sometimes difficult to reinstall

The IDT drivers still won't install so it's not worth it but for some reason I'll probably try again

I tried it a few days ago.  I've tried so many drivers and other things with no luck yet.

They just need to update this sigmatel driver properly.  They should have had it prepared before 7 came out especially since the RTM was out way before.

40 Posts

November 29th, 2009 20:00

so

sigmatel drivers for windows 7?

6 Posts

November 30th, 2009 04:00

Yup, looks like i'm also suffering with this issue. have been searching hard for the resolution as Win 7 action centre keep telling me i have an issue with Sigmatel driver, but nothing available that i can see.

Is it likely we will get an update to this any time soon?

40 Posts

November 30th, 2009 05:00

Some software will not work completely and that is annoying

but the biggest problem for me is 130ms of latency

Some of the windows support on their forums did not believe me and the support by email did not understand me so I made a video to show it and so if they doubted my set up I did the same test with xp.  The problem comes up at the end around 1min

I used little clicks so I could measure the gaps better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymrcRagtAvM

8 Posts

November 30th, 2009 07:00

When I went to upgrade to Windows 7, I ran the Windows 7 Compatibility test and nothing came up about my sound having issues. Now, after the installation, I have no sound. I've gone through a TON of audio drivers to no avail.I've tried drivers for XP, Vista, Win7, Sigmatel, Legacy, Realtek, etc.  Nothing works.  I'm extremely disappointed in Dell's push to make me buy a new sound card when they could easily address this issue.

Sigmatel C-Major for the Dell Latitude D810 laptop.

40 Posts

November 30th, 2009 18:00

I want to keep this post alive

I also ran the windows 7 compatibility test.  The only thing it said was my display driver or graphics card would not be able to handle the Aero things.  I modified the driver before I installed it so that was never a problem.

Unfortunately I never checked the dell site which shows a short list of models that are compatible with windows 7.  I just saw this.  I'm really curious why mine was not listed, since my computer has a "windows vista compatible" sticker which is basically 7.

None the less, Everything does work fine, including the audio....with the minor yet for me major issue with latency. 

An updated driver for windows 7.  Why is that so hard.  Obviously they're not going to persuade me to buy another dell with this operation.  I'm not going to pay 100+ dollars to reinstate my warranty just to ask them this question.  I did download an application from cnet that opens and edits drivers.  My doubtful option at this point would be learning how to edit the driver myself........ yeah, i don't think so.

261 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 07:00

I have an XPS GEN 1 (9100) laptop with Sigma Tel Audio and installed this driver http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R190517&SystemID=XPS_M1530&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=8907&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=3&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=261467 I'm running W7 32 Professional and the driver works great but you have to run it in Vista compatibility mode.

7 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 07:00

Has anyone heard of Dell releasing these drivers yet?  I guess I'm lucky in that my XPS M1330 speaker system seems to work ok...  It's just when I plug in a headset to make Skype class that the sound drivers seems to die.

This problem is new since I upgraded to Win 7 last week.  Why to I get a feeling that Dell support would tell me my warranty is now invalid after my update to Win 7?

If anyone hears of any updated drivers from Dell, please post the info here.

Best regards...

RJ

40 Posts

December 4th, 2009 07:00

I was using somebody's laptop yesterday since it has vista, just to check the audio issues.  It was okay. I wish I could trade 7 in for vista.

I noticed it had the same audio.  Sigmatel HD.... It's a sony so I checked them out and they have been updating the driver regularly.  Of course their drivers will not work on dell.  I guess the point is there is either updates they are not putting out here or it's the manufacturer's responsibility to update them and they are not doing so.

It might just be a problem with windows 7 but I can't be sure since there is no driver for windows 7 just an old vista driver.

9 Posts

December 4th, 2009 08:00

It doesn't look like Dell is planning to release Windows 7 drivers for any but their current systems. But Windows 7 is not just another OS update - it's what everybody who avoided Vista has waited for to go finally 64bit. So I think Dell should get Windows 7 drivers out for all the computers that were able to run Vista (as they definitely can run Windows 7) and have still active warranties. My M6300 has still more than a year of warranty left on it.

But if Dell thinks not releasing Windows 7 drivers for the M6300 is getting me to buy one of their problem riddled new Precision M6400 or M6500 notebooks they are wrong - then I rather buy a Sony, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo ... or convert to MAC (I really liked NeXTstep).

1 Message

December 6th, 2009 04:00

This is so frustrating.  Windows 7 has been out since October 22nd, and the Beta and RC version have been available since the summer.  I'm very hacked off at Dell's lack of support.  I've tried everything I can with my Dimension E521 and can't get the audio drivers working at all.  Dell's a massive company, but if it fails to provide support for older machines, in a timely fashion, when new a OS come out then it does a lot of dammage to it's brand.

I WILL NOT BE PURCHASING ANOTHER DELL AGAIN.

42 Posts

December 7th, 2009 14:00

I want to keep this post alive

I also ran the windows 7 compatibility test.  The only thing it said was my display driver or graphics card would not be able to handle the Aero things.  I modified the driver before I installed it so that was never a problem.

Unfortunately I never checked the dell site which shows a short list of models that are compatible with windows 7.  I just saw this.  I'm really curious why mine was not listed, since my computer has a "windows vista compatible" sticker which is basically 7.

None the less, Everything does work fine, including the audio....with the minor yet for me major issue with latency. 

An updated driver for windows 7.  Why is that so hard.  Obviously they're not going to persuade me to buy another dell with this operation.  I'm not going to pay 100+ dollars to reinstate my warranty just to ask them this question.  I did download an application from cnet that opens and edits drivers.  My doubtful option at this point would be learning how to edit the driver myself........ yeah, i don't think so.

If you DID renew your warranty, or if the XPS1330 was still under warranty, do you think Dell would take any responsibility for updating drivers to work with Windows 7?  Mine's still under warranty, but I bet Dell does all they can to tell me that it's only under warranty with the OS it was sold with, aka Vista.  And here's another reason people switch to Apple

42 Posts

December 8th, 2009 08:00

So, after a 40 minute hold and a 40 minute phone call with "chat' services last night, it would appear that Dell has no intention of "officially" providing Windows 7 drivers for anything but the "current" line of products.  What sucks about this is that they yanked the previous XPS series just prior to Windows 7 release.  They knew all along that they were never going to invest the time, money or research to support both their customers and their products.  This, sadly, is the state of affairs of the American economy in general - outsource it and abuse your customers.  What a farce.  All of us paid Dell for computers that were infected with an operating system (Vista) that was unfinished, problematic and bug ridden.  The thanks we get for investing our hard-earned money is: "Buy one of our new machines - we promise - this time it will be different."

If this isn't rectified by the time my warranty runs out (February) then it's goodbye Dell and hello Apple.  When are these idiot C.E.O.'s going to get on the bus?  Is there a reason why Dell's stock has plumeted from $50 to $14 in the same time that Apple's has gone from $30 to $200?  Two reasons: customer support and innovation.

And as far as IDT (Sigmatel) NOT providing drivers on Dell's instructions: shame on both of you.

No Events found!