fishnbanjo
3 Silver

Re: SigmaTel audio drivers for Windows 7

I have an XPS GEN 1 (9100) laptop with Sigma Tel Audio and installed this driver http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R190517&SystemID=XPS_M1530&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=8907&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=3&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=261467 I'm running W7 32 Professional and the driver works great but you have to run it in Vista compatibility mode.

435T i7 975 3.3 GHz Extreme, 12 Gb RAM, 1.5 Tb SATA x 2 internal,Patriot Warp 256 Gb SSD quick release and 1.5 Tb eSATA drive  Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Blu-ray/HD-DVD/RW combo by LG and Blu-ray/RW, 1000/NIC and  Belkin N+  wireless, X-Fi Extreme Soundblaster, Hauppauge 2250 DTV Tuner card with Media Center remote, Bose Surround Sound 5.1 speakers, LifeCam VX 3000 VidCam, Logitech Wireless Desktop Kb and Performance MX Mouse, Bamboo Pen Tablet,  XFX ATi 5870 XXX Edition driving a Vizio 37" HDTV using  Optical Toslink from the X-Fi Extreme Sound Card, also have Pioneer SE-DIR 800C Wireless Dolby DTS Headphones

Black Alienware M17X Q9100 2.26 GHz Extreme, 320Gb HDD0 and 160Gb SSD1,Blu-Ray w/ DVD/RW, 8Gb RAM, WUXGA  Screen, ATI 4870 Crossfire-x,  Alienware TactX Mouse Windows 7 64 Professional.

sqrach
2 Bronze

I was using somebody's laptop yesterday since it has vista, just to check the audio issues.  It was okay. I wish I could trade 7 in for vista.

I noticed it had the same audio.  Sigmatel HD.... It's a sony so I checked them out and they have been updating the driver regularly.  Of course their drivers will not work on dell.  I guess the point is there is either updates they are not putting out here or it's the manufacturer's responsibility to update them and they are not doing so.

It might just be a problem with windows 7 but I can't be sure since there is no driver for windows 7 just an old vista driver.

0 Kudos
Th.R.
1 Nickel

It doesn't look like Dell is planning to release Windows 7 drivers for any but their current systems. But Windows 7 is not just another OS update - it's what everybody who avoided Vista has waited for to go finally 64bit. So I think Dell should get Windows 7 drivers out for all the computers that were able to run Vista (as they definitely can run Windows 7) and have still active warranties. My M6300 has still more than a year of warranty left on it.

But if Dell thinks not releasing Windows 7 drivers for the M6300 is getting me to buy one of their problem riddled new Precision M6400 or M6500 notebooks they are wrong - then I rather buy a Sony, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo ... or convert to MAC (I really liked NeXTstep).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
marky_towers
1 Copper

This is so frustrating.  Windows 7 has been out since October 22nd, and the Beta and RC version have been available since the summer.  I'm very hacked off at Dell's lack of support.  I've tried everything I can with my Dimension E521 and can't get the audio drivers working at all.  Dell's a massive company, but if it fails to provide support for older machines, in a timely fashion, when new a OS come out then it does a lot of dammage to it's brand.

I WILL NOT BE PURCHASING ANOTHER DELL AGAIN.

0 Kudos
tvmaster
2 Iron

I want to keep this post alive

I also ran the windows 7 compatibility test.  The only thing it said was my display driver or graphics card would not be able to handle the Aero things.  I modified the driver before I installed it so that was never a problem.

Unfortunately I never checked the dell site which shows a short list of models that are compatible with windows 7.  I just saw this.  I'm really curious why mine was not listed, since my computer has a "windows vista compatible" sticker which is basically 7.

None the less, Everything does work fine, including the audio....with the minor yet for me major issue with latency. 

An updated driver for windows 7.  Why is that so hard.  Obviously they're not going to persuade me to buy another dell with this operation.  I'm not going to pay 100+ dollars to reinstate my warranty just to ask them this question.  I did download an application from cnet that opens and edits drivers.  My doubtful option at this point would be learning how to edit the driver myself........ yeah, i don't think so.

If you DID renew your warranty, or if the XPS1330 was still under warranty, do you think Dell would take any responsibility for updating drivers to work with Windows 7?  Mine's still under warranty, but I bet Dell does all they can to tell me that it's only under warranty with the OS it was sold with, aka Vista.  And here's another reason people switch to Apple

0 Kudos
tvmaster
2 Iron

So, after a 40 minute hold and a 40 minute phone call with "chat' services last night, it would appear that Dell has no intention of "officially" providing Windows 7 drivers for anything but the "current" line of products.  What sucks about this is that they yanked the previous XPS series just prior to Windows 7 release.  They knew all along that they were never going to invest the time, money or research to support both their customers and their products.  This, sadly, is the state of affairs of the American economy in general - outsource it and abuse your customers.  What a farce.  All of us paid Dell for computers that were infected with an operating system (Vista) that was unfinished, problematic and bug ridden.  The thanks we get for investing our hard-earned money is: "Buy one of our new machines - we promise - this time it will be different."

If this isn't rectified by the time my warranty runs out (February) then it's goodbye Dell and hello Apple.  When are these idiot C.E.O.'s going to get on the bus?  Is there a reason why Dell's stock has plumeted from $50 to $14 in the same time that Apple's has gone from $30 to $200?  Two reasons: customer support and innovation.

And as far as IDT (Sigmatel) NOT providing drivers on Dell's instructions: shame on both of you.

0 Kudos
wdaren
2 Iron

after a bunch of research, I stumbled upon R171786_32bit.exe. That seems to be working. Not fully tested, but at least the windows opening and sound effects are back.  Now, I dont recall where I got it!!

Using a Dell Inspiron 1505.

0 Kudos
-wayner-
1 Nickel

I installed the Vista x64 sigmatel driver for my XPS M1530 (on Win7 Pro) and they 'work', by and large - BUT they are not 100%, certainly not to the standard I'd expect on a 9 month old laptop and brand new OS.

Whilst i have general sound etc. the action centre throws me a driver error any time i try to plug in a headset or mic, and the on-board mic / any general mic usage seems well off key.

I also noticed that when watching a film the other night the audio dipped in and out at stages (the volume dived all be it briefly a couple of times in short succession). Not enough to prevent me watching the film, but certainly noticeable. I tried it on a few other dvd's and the same thing happened. I'm no expert but i would likely attribute this to the audio driver incompatibility.

Whilst it's not stopping me from using sound altogether (like some others in the thread) i am narked that Dell haven't released updated driver sets for my laptop for Win7. The fact that i purchased the system only 9 months ago for me i feel it should be well within spec to expect updated drivers etc, even though it wasn't shipped with the latest OS. I really hope some resolution is reached (although having read other responses i'm starting to seriously doubt it  ).

Anyway, no idea if this is read by the tech team at Dell, but i'm thinking we should keep the thread alive in the very least to build support for the need to review this situation. Fingers firmly crossed. Cheers

0 Kudos
sawaddi
3 Zinc

Why hasn't Dell gotten new audio drivers from IDT (the new owners of SigmaTel) and posted them on the Dell download site?  IDT requires that new drivers are only available through the retailer.  How long do we have to wait before the microphone and speakers will behave properly in Windows 7?  Is it too much to ask that a computer that is 6 month old can be updated to the latest operating system with workable drivers?

Per IDT's website

"If you experience issues with the audio configuration in Windows 7, please contact the original manufacturer (OEM) of your PC or notebook. IDT currently does not provide end-use support or drivers for PC Audio products.".  Since Dell does not write drivers, your options are limited. 

XPS 8700 

XPS 14

0 Kudos
sawaddi
3 Zinc

IDT is not a supplier to Dell so Dell has no leverage and can't demand anything.  What system do you have?

XPS 8700 

XPS 14

0 Kudos