Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2009 18:00

SigmaTel audio drivers for Windows 7

Why hasn't Dell gotten new audio drivers from IDT (the new owners of SigmaTel) and posted them on the Dell download site?  IDT requires that new drivers are only available through the retailer.  How long do we have to wait before the microphone and speakers will behave properly in Windows 7?  Is it too much to ask that a computer that is 6 month old can be updated to the latest operating system with workable drivers?

219 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 18:00

:emotion-21:

Why doesn't Dell support simply tell customers to replace their old SigmaTel STAC 92xx C-Major HD A02 driver with the "new and improved" IDT 92HD73C1 (version 6.10.0.6217, A15) driver?

RJ  :emotion-59:

because your solution to obtain the IDT 92HD73C1 [version 6.10.0.6217, A15] driver does NOT work with some older Sigmatel HD Audio chips on some older Dell laptops, like my mom's Dell Inspiron E1405 notebook computer, euro888.

Here's the Hardware ID number of the Sigmatel Audio device on the Inspiron E1405 laptop:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7690&SUBSYS_102801D8

And I've just checked the INI and INF files of that IDT Audio 6.10.0.6217 driver.   That Sigmatel Audio HWID no. is NOT listed in any of them; so there's NO CHANCE of the new IDT Audio driver working for the old Sigmatel audio device on the dell 640m/e1405 laptop.

Current driver I use on Vista Home Basic edition SP2 is Sigmatel HD Audio driver v6.10.0.5866 from R218148, which is the latest one to work on the Inspiron E1405 notebook PC.   Original Sigmatel audio driver that came with E1405 was 6.10.0.5343.

If I do ever upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium Edition on the E1405 laptop, I think v6.10.5866 of the Sigmatel driver can still work.

30 Posts

March 5th, 2010 18:00

Thanks, euro888 your solution worked for my M1330...good catch. HDMI audio streaming and local speakers both work for the first time since Windows 7 64 bit upgrade.

The hardware id for my card is shown in the stwrt64.ini file of the R226903 package, so there's no doubt it's compatible. My question is that if you can figure out this will work on a M1330, why can't the geniuses @ Dell?

611 Posts

March 5th, 2010 18:00

Probably because the "geniuses @ Dell" do not write drivers - the component manufacturers do. 

7 Posts

March 6th, 2010 09:00

You are welcome Ridgetop...

I guess the cynical answer to your question would be that they (the geniuses at Dell) just don't give a damm.  There's no money in it for them in providing decent support after they have sold a computer...  They would much rather see us all buy a new model as a "fix".

While it's true they don't write the drivers (the audio component company does), you can't tell me they (Dell) doesn't know about this solution.  (Granted, this solution only works on certain models...  but it does work on some... and Dell support certainly knows that.)

Because many of the companies for whom I have worked over the years have used Dells, I have had a lot of different Dell models.  I don't think their quality is particularly better or worse than other brands and I've been reasonably satisfied with the computers themselves...  but after many frustrating attempts at getting acceptable technical support (this is just the most recent in a long line of frustrating encounters), I sear I'll never buy another from them.  ...  And I'm passing on this "anti-recommendation" to everyone I know.

That's about all any of us can do...  So next time you buy a computer, vote with your dollars...  don't buy Dell!

Ok...  I'm getting off the podium now. :emotion-42:

611 Posts

March 6th, 2010 10:00

but after many frustrating attempts at getting acceptable technical support (this is just the most recent in a long line of frustrating encounters), I sear I'll never buy another from them.  ...  And I'm passing on this "anti-recommendation" to everyone I know.

That's about all any of us can do...  So next time you buy a computer, vote with your dollars...  don't buy Dell!

Ok...  I'm getting off the podium now. :emotion-42:

An often cited sentiment.  But no one has ever found a better option.  The PC has become a commodity product and low price does not equal good tech support.

30 Posts

March 7th, 2010 18:00

I won't belabor this thread after this...but I discovered this site: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/23793-latest-sigmatel-idt-drivers/ which contains some more recent drivers from IDT. The most recent one (v. 10.0.6267) works fine on my XPS M1330 w/W7 64 bit and Sigmatel audio 92XX. One of them may work for other Dell machines having trouble with Windows 7 64 bit audio drivers.

Check your audio codec hardware ids against the driver package .ini files for compatability.

7 Posts

March 12th, 2010 09:00

...because your solution to obtain the IDT 92HD73C1 [version 6.10.0.6217, A15] driver does NOT work with some older Sigmatel HD Audio chips on some older Dell laptops, like my mom's Dell Inspiron E1405 notebook computer, euro888.

Here's the Hardware ID number of the Sigmatel Audio device on the Inspiron E1405 laptop:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7690&SUBSYS_102801D8

And I've just checked the INI and INF files of that IDT Audio 6.10.0.6217 driver.   That Sigmatel Audio HWID no. is NOT listed in any of them; so there's NO CHANCE of the new IDT Audio driver working for the old Sigmatel audio device on the dell 640m/e1405 laptop.

This is inaccurate; there is a chance of getting it to work with some changes.  In fact, I've just gotten 6.10.0.6255 to work on my Inspiron 1520 which uses this which wasn't listed in the INF/INI files:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F1

Somebody has been kind enough to modify the IDT INI/INF files for others.  See this thread: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/23790-latest-sigmatel-idt-modded-drivers-for-win-7-and-vista/

1 Message

March 13th, 2010 05:00

On my 670 i did the trick by installing teh drivers from xp64:emotion-15:

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WXPX&catid=3&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=DU&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=WRK_PNT_P4_670&hidos=WXPX&hidlang=DU&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False

For me it works!

7 Posts

March 14th, 2010 19:00

To Ridgetop...

Thanks for that tip on where to get the latest idt-drivers.  Like you, I too have an XPS M1330 (but in 32 bit flavor).  Although the current driver I got from Dell (by guessing I could use the IDT driver) works, I would like to give your solution a try, as that is certainly a newer driver.  I can always go back to my current driver if the v.10.xxx version does not quite work.

Before I begin, could you clarify what you mean by your statement "Check your audio codec hardware ids against the driver package .ini files for compatibility."?   We technically challenged souls sometimes need a little more guidance.  :emotion-5:

Here is what I think you mean Ridgetop, but I am not sure.  Could you verify these are the right steps to check for compatability?

1. Open the computer's Device Manager
2. Click on "Sound Video and Game Controllers" to drill down to "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC"
3. Right click on that entry and choose "Properties".
4. Once that window opens, select the "Details" tab.
5. Find the "Property" drop-down list in that window and look for an item there called "Hardware Ids"...

On my computer, when I select the "Hardware Ids" item, I see the following two entries:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_10280209&REV_1002
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_10280209

Is this what you mean Ridgetop?  Are these the entries that I (or others) would look for in the driver package .ini files when checking for compatibility?

Many thanks, my friend!

RJ

219 Posts

March 15th, 2010 17:00

This is inaccurate; there is a chance of getting it to work with some changes.  In fact, I've just gotten 6.10.0.6255 to work on my Inspiron 1520 which uses this which wasn't listed in the INF/INI files:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F1

Somebody has been kind enough to modify the IDT INI/INF files for others.  See this thread: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/23790-latest-sigmatel-idt-modded-drivers-for-win-7-and-vista/

tried the modded IDT INI/INF driver files from LaptopVideo2Go forum site at least 8 times for the past few days already - several different versions; STILL NOT WORKING on the E1405 laptop!  Even made the "necessary" mods in the WRT*.INI files with many different versions.  Again, NO SOUND AT ALLHAH!  in your face, mkanar.

all those changes in the INF/INI IDT files may work for SOME IDT/SIGMATEL audio devices BUT NOT ALL OF THEM!  The newest drivers seem to fail on much older Sigmatel HD Audio chips - ones that are about 3 to 4 years old, even with the proper modifications to the INF/INI files.

oh and latest Dell IDT Audio driver for Win7 is v6.10.0.6267 from R260553  .

anyways, i'm pretty much satisfied with the v6.10.0.5866 sigmatel hd audio drivers.

note to euro888: Try the IDT 6.10.0.6267 drivers from the R260553 pack. hardware ID "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_10280209" is mentioned in the INF/INI files on there.

9 Posts

March 17th, 2010 16:00

Ridgetop,

I have a quick question.  I've upgraded the IDT drivers with the R226903 package on a M1330 with Win7 32 bit.  Everything is working except the HDMI audio streaming.  Is there an additional step I missed that may be preventing this from working?  Setting the HDMI to default occasionally causes sound output to stop until reboot, so that's not it (although that used to be the case in Vista).  Any help would be most appreciated!

7 Posts

March 19th, 2010 17:00

Hi dhacke,

That's an interesting question.  I too have the R226903 package on my M1330 and it seems to be working fine...  But I must admit, I've never tried out any HDMI audio streaming.  Unfortunately, I have no high-def TV with which I can test it.

If you look at ridgetop's entry from March 7, he found some even newer drivers, the lastest version being (v. 10.0.6267).  I can't speak to what the file name will be once it is downloaded (like R226903, for example.)

I shot out a question to Ridgetop a few days ago to clarify his method to check for compatibility, but he has yet to reply.  If you are feeling brave, you might want to install the v. 10x version he's talking about.  It might have improved HDMI functionality.

Please keep us posted on your progress, as we all must depend on each other for feedback and updated info.

Good luck!

Euro888

9 Posts

March 20th, 2010 18:00

I shot out a question to Ridgetop a few days ago to clarify his method to check for compatibility, but he has yet to reply.  If you are feeling brave, you might want to install the v. 10x version he's talking about.  It might have improved HDMI functionality.

I'll give it a try in the next few days and post the results.  I'm actually outputting the video/audio to a Dell LCD monitor which has speakers attached to the monitor's 3.5mm output jacks, and had no problems under Vista. When I upgraded a few months back I spent some time looking into this and found that only the older drivers worked with skype, so now that the newer drivers work with skype I'll keep my fingers crossed they can also solve the audio stream issue. 

Thanks!

9 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 16:00

Well, I upgrade the audio drivers, and no joy.  The audio carried out on the HDMI cable, however, is driven by the video drivers I believe, so maybe that's really the source of my issues?  But I'm running very current video drivers: 8.17.11.9581, released 12/10/2009.  I have the nvidia GeForce 8400M GS chip, so maybe I'm different to the rest of you folks?

37 Posts

March 26th, 2010 11:00

Hello GMGamberg,

Have you checked compatibility?
Just an FYI for you.

It is always best to check with the software manufacturer FIRST. They will tell you if they have tested the product and the version, as well as whether or not it will work with Windows 7.
Check out the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibility.)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx
There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".

There are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7 at our Springboard site:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

In any event a lot of the times, Vista drivers will work in lieu of Windows 7 drivers, however, it's not 100%!

As stated previously, it's best to have the Windows 7 certified drivers installed.

Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

No Events found!