Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

October 13th, 2009 12:00

Sigmatel HD Audio Codecs won't install after XP SP3 install and Virus removal on Inspiron E1505

We have an Inspiron E1505 that picked up a virus (the fake anti-virus) which was removed by Avast Antivirus.  The tech guy also did all the Windows Updates including XP Service Pack 3.  Since then, we have lost all audio.  The Sigmatel Drivers are NOT installed and we get the error message:  "An error occurred dudring the installation of the device.  A device attached to the system is not running."  We've downloaded the latest drivers from Dell and installed the Notebook System Software (NSS) as well as the Chipset drivers.  I attempted to uninstall SP3, but it won't let me.  I tried to restore to an earlier date, but it won't let me.  I have the yellow checkmark icon next to the Sigmatel High Definition Audio in the Device Manager.  I tried installing the drivers from the setup.exe in the downloaded drivers folder, but it always tells me that another installation is running.  When I exit that message, the installation continues, but zips through the install in about 1 second and then nothing happens.  No finish button or anything.  Any help is greatly appreciated...

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 13th, 2009 13:00

I'm not sure if this will do it but try

1. Open Windows Explorer and go to c:\Dell\drivers\R171789 and delete the R171789 folder.  If you find any other Sigmatel folders delete those too. They will be the ones with the WDM subfolders.
2. Download R171789 again or re-use the previous download if you still have it..
3. After it finishes extracting the files and begins to install, cancel.
4. Open Device Manager and expand System Devices. Find the PCI Device entry with a ? next to it. Go to the properties and choose to update the driver. Choose to manually find the driver and don't let Windows look for it.
Browse to c:\Dell\drivers\R171789\WDM

Iit should detect some new hardware and one of them should be the Sigmatel. If that does not happen then there might be some damage left behind by the virus that is causing this. I would consider using PC Restore which will return the computer to its original configuration (and will get rid of SP3 in the process).

13 Posts

October 13th, 2009 21:00

Ok, I've been attempting to solve this issue on my brother's laptop using LogMeIn to remotely access his PC.  I just did a system restore to the date prior to SP3 update, and was about to reinstall the drivers, when I got disconnected by the host computer.  Now, his wireless internet connection is "gone" and he says he cannot access the control panel.   I'm wondering if this new "fake antivirus" virus did not rear it's ugly head again.... 

He performed a complete system scan, and it comes up clean.  We are going to try to undo the previous system restore to see if we can get it back online.  Geez....

13 Posts

October 14th, 2009 12:00

Undid the last system restore, and now we have wireless back, etc.  I will continue to attempt  to install the drivers...

13 Posts

October 14th, 2009 13:00

Tried to reinstall the drivers as you suggested, but still get the same error messages (Error Code 18)

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 14th, 2009 13:00

Your Device Manager is showing "Sigmatel" with a yellow mark, which is not right. At this point in the instructions it should show "PCI Device" with a yellow mark under System Devices", because with all of the Sigmatel files uninstalled it cannot know yet that the PCI device is a Sigmatel brand. Are you sure you got rid of all Sigmatel folders in the c:\Dell\drivers folder? If so then I would try PC Restore.

13 Posts

October 15th, 2009 07:00

Finally got it working!!   I had to install* a later version of the Sigmatel drivers (R167846 version 6.10.0.5609) and then uninstall it as well as all of the Ricoh drivers found in the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.  I then ran the SETUP.EXE from the R171789 (v. 5.10.0.5515) and the Sigmatel drivers and device installed successfully.  All of the Ricoh drivers got reinstalled as well.   Thanks for all the support and info.  These forums are very helpful. 

* Not sure why I needed to do this, but the R171789 (v. 5.10.0.5515) install would not complete without errors.  This newer version installed properly but gave me the Code 10 error, which I assume meant I had the wrong version.  I probably could have skipped this part, since the Ricoh drivers may have been the problem, but I'm not going to try anything different now...  The R167846 version was found at CNET.com (http://download.cnet.com/SigmaTel-High-Definition-Audio-CODEC/3000-2110_4-173629.html)

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 15th, 2009 08:00

R171789 is the newest XP driver. R167846 is not only older by a couple of months but for Vista. In your initial post you said you have XP SP3.

13 Posts

October 15th, 2009 10:00

Yeah, XP SP3, but like I said, R171789 would not install, R167846 did install, and probably didn't need to do this, but now we are good.  Thanks again for your help.

1 Message

October 23rd, 2010 02:00

Thank you so much, this has helped me with getting sound on my M1730. Why can't dell make their drivers work like normal...or at all?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 25th, 2010 07:00

Why can't dell make their drivers work like normal...or at all?

I have asked myself that question many times.

I read your other thread that has been deleted (for innocuous use of language? -- that has happened to me too -- very annoying). You had re-installed Windows. That is a special circumstance that requires the drivers to be installed in a certain order, namely first the Notebook System Software, restart, then the Intel Mobile Chipset software, restart, then video and Sigmatel. Usually when you do it that way then you shouldn't have to update through the Device Manager. But even when you do it all by the book you can never be sure of a smooth process.

1 Message

July 11th, 2014 03:00

Thanks for the suggestions. After many hours of trying to solve the "no sound" problem on my Dell Latitude D630 after I updated to SP3 and installed a HP printer, I have finally succeeded. Attempts at System Restore to various recent dates before I installed the software didn't  work (system would not restore). Other suggestions from various forums were also futile.

What worked was the following:

Open Device Manager and expand System Devices. Find the PCI Device entry with a ! next to it. Go to the properties and choose to update the driver. Then choose to restore the driver to an earlier one that functioned.

My sound magically reappeared.

No Events found!