Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

January 25th, 2006 14:00

Slow Performance of Inspiron 5150

Hi All,

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 5150 for my wife.  It has the following specs:

384MB DIMM
30GBHD (IBM , it says it's:  9.5MM, 4.2K,IBM-MRGA, whatever that means).
Windows XP Home Edition
The Processor is:  3.06GB, 512K, (I believe it's an Intel
I upgraded her video to an nVidia Graphics Card (64MB) at time of purchase.

She does not have many applications on it.  The problem is that botting up into XP is extremely slow, opening applications is extremely slow.  We have updated antivirus software, updated ad-aware SE.  There appears to be nothing to account for this extremely slow performance.

I have a desktop computer with an nVidia card in it and applications fly open, and anything I do with it is fast, so I cannot understand why this is such a problem with her laptop (we're talking quite a few seconds for a program to open here, maybe 15 - 20 seconds on average).

Is there some problem with the Hard Drives for the Inspiron 5150, or maybe a chipset problem?  I installed the latest Flash Bios in it and it made no difference.

Anybody having the same problems, had the same problems, or know what to do about this?  I would appreciate any replies.

Thank you,

Mark Gordon

Message Edited by MarkHGordon on 01-25-2006 10:08 AM

January 25th, 2006 16:00

I have not tried any Registry Repair tools.  I was unaware that there was anything other than Dell's Analysis tool that I installed.  Do you have any repair tools that you would recommend?

Thank you very much,

Mark Gordon

Thank you for replying and informing me of the specs (had no clue what the numbers meant, but thanks :-)  ).

That's a good question about running hot or the fans running constantly.  The fans actually gear up when launching an application.  They do not constantly run thereafter.  The laptop seems to be cool, but I haven't p[icked it up to feel underneath it.

Is there something I can do with the BIOS settings that will ensure more proficient operation?  Or any other ideas?  Would upgrading the chipset make a difference?

Thank you very much for replying.  I do appreciate your time.

Mark Gordon

Have you tried any registry repair tools?

4.4K Posts

@MarkHGordon wrote:
Hi All,

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 5150 for my wife.  It has the following specs:

384MB DIMM
30GBHD (IBM , it says it's:  9.5MM, 4.2K,IBM-MRGA, whatever that means).
9.5mm is the height of the hard drive.  This is a common size for the newer notebooks.
4.2K means the hard drive disk has an RPM of 4200.

Is the notebook running warm or hot?  Do the fans run all the time?  Or do the fans run very often?  The reason that I ask these questions is because the 5150 has been know to have some heat problems.  When the system over heats (or the system thinks it is overheating because of the settings in the BIOS), the processor will be throttled down to prevent damage to the notebook.

January 25th, 2006 18:00

RegistryMechanic

Check out download.com and choose whatever registry tool you feel comfortable with.

I'd recommend looking at programs that have the ability to back-up and restore in case the changes to the registry have a negative effect.

Message Edited by usatrucking on 01-25-2006 02:46 PM

14 Posts

January 26th, 2006 04:00

If you still have warranty or complete care then I recommend calling dell. And if you do not have a warranty anymore, then your probably in some trouble. I am betting it has something to do with the motherboard. Dang motherboards on these 5150.

1 Message

January 26th, 2006 23:00

You'll really want to pay attention to the fans being on all of the time.  Mine did the same and now I have a memory issue where my laptop no longer sees bank A of the DIMM's, thus reducing my total memory!  It appears that the intense heat desoldered my memory sockets.  It exhibits a slowness now as well.
No Events found!