Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

April 7th, 2016 17:00

Slow computer, or internet

Hello.  I have a Dell Inspiron 3147, 2-in-1 lap top.  I have had it for over a year and it have worked great.  But in the past week it has all of the sudden become slow.  I can't play games that require the internet very well.  I tried refreshing my PC, but that didn't help any.  I don't know enough about computers to know what IPv4 means, or if 72.2 Mbps is good or not.  Any ideas on what is wrong, or what to try would be helpful.  Thanks.

Here are some of my Wi-Fi Stats.

-IPv4 Connectivity: Internet

-IPv6 Connectivity: No Internet access

-Speed: 72.2 Mbps

April 8th, 2016 03:00

Hello Awhite7

Thanks for writing to us. 

Have you tried doing a system restore which will give us a clear picture if its hardware or software related??

Simultaneously install the wireless drivers from support.euro.dell.com, then enter your service tag# and click on drivers and downloads  , then the operating system install the same. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Regards

13 Posts

April 8th, 2016 14:00

I did the "Refresh your PC without affecting your files".

April 9th, 2016 22:00

Have you tried updating the wireless drivers?
Also open CMD and type in the following

netsh winsock reset catalog

now press enter

now type again

netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

now press enter

restart the machine and check if its working.

April 10th, 2016 21:00

Hello
We are awaiting your response.
Regards

13 Posts

April 11th, 2016 14:00

I did try this, and it said "The requested operation requires elevation (Run as administrator).

13 Posts

April 11th, 2016 15:00

Sorry, I got it to run as administrator.  This is what it said word for word on Administrator : Command Prompt

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]

(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh winsock reset catalog

Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.

You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Resetting Interface, OK!

Resetting Neighbor, OK!

Resetting Path, OK!

Resetting , failed.

Access is denied.

Resetting , OK!

Restart the computer to complete this action.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

After I restarted my computer, I still had slow internet (connection).

380 Posts

April 11th, 2016 18:00

You are apparently using a wireless connection. The 72.2mb/sec is actually very good.

Have you tried a wired connection to see if there is any improvement?

What brand/model of modem do you have?

JohnD

13 Posts

April 11th, 2016 19:00

I have not tried a wired connection, and I don't know how to do that.  I have a Dell laptop.  Inspiron 11 3000 Series, 2-in-1.

380 Posts

April 13th, 2016 20:00

Apparently your PC does not have an ethernet port (wired connection) so that is out. What brand/model of modem do you have?

JohnD

April 13th, 2016 20:00

Hi

Nice to hear from you. As we see the access if denied to netsh.exe. 

It might be the anti virus causing not allowing the reset. Which antivirus are you using, please stop/uninstall the antivirus and try the reset again . 

Also please install the wireless drivers from below link 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-11-3147-laptop/drivers

choose your operating system and go to networks and install the wireless drivers as per the adapter model.

Should you have any doubts about the card model , do PM us the system tag# by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message also provide your email address.

REGARDS

April 14th, 2016 19:00

Hi Awaiting your response still

13 Posts

April 15th, 2016 10:00

Our modem is fine, I am the only one in my house who has slower internet connection.  I recently updated my Wireless Driver (Dell Wireless 1707 802.11b/g/n (2.4GZ)) from Driver Version 10.0.0.293 to Version 10.0.0.297.  I found that this helped my internet speed, but it is still not what it used to be.

380 Posts

April 15th, 2016 17:00

If you are consistently getting 72Mb/sec in your speed tests, that is very good so I am not sure where your issue might be.

1. What browser are you using?

2. Do you have any "plug-ins" installed in your browser?

JohnD

13 Posts

April 15th, 2016 21:00

My slow internet does not have anything to do with my browser (Chrome).  My games are playing, loading slow as well (My games require the internet).  I don't know if I have any plug-ins installed.

April 16th, 2016 21:00

Hi, we would suggest you to back up the data and install the windows afresh and if still the same, then the hardware (wireless card) needs to be replaced. 

No Events found!