Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

October 15th, 2005 04:00

SmartStep 100D restore CD

Ok, this isn't for me as much as it is for my brother. He's not very computer literate and I am much more so than he is. He has a 2nd hand Dell SmartStep 100D. And apparently didn't get any Restore CD's or main system type CD's with it. He is is dire need of a complete "factory setup" restore. Is there any way I can Download the CD information to disk to make him a restore CD? or have the CD's sent to him?

6.4K Posts

October 15th, 2005 18:00

Unfortunately the SmartStep 100D is an orphan from Dell's point of view.  It was not manufactured by Dell, only sold by them for less than a year (around 2001).  What info is available from Dell will be found at:

It essentially tells you that you must call the 800 number given on that page for support.  If you call it the voice at the other end tells you that you must pay a service fee for support.  I never went beyond that point, so I don't know if the specific things you've asked about are available or not.

Good luck.

1 Message

November 7th, 2005 16:00

I also have a smartstep....abandoned from use at our place of business...I would like to use it at home but cannot find the installation disk. I seem to have everything installed but the CD driver. Do you know where I can find one??

Would really appreciate some help.

Connie

1 Message

November 11th, 2005 13:00

Message Edited by Healive on 12-05-2005 04:16 PM

Message Edited by Healive on 12-05-2005 04:17 PM

2 Posts

November 24th, 2005 00:00

I would LOVE to find out how I can get a CD with the 100D drivers on it.  I have just inherited this orphan computer and it needs a new hard drive.  Windows 98 disk doesn't seem to have drivers for this machine.  HELP!

1 Message

November 20th, 2008 08:00

Did anbody ever get an answer for this? I can't find these drivers ANYWHERE. I finally got the video drivers from a random website, but do you think I can locate the audio or the PCI bridge drivers? HECK no. It's driving me nuts! I'm almost to the point where I'm considering putting Windows ME on there... and that's like giving poison to a computer... I just want to keep 98SE on there and find drivers that work.

6.4K Posts

November 20th, 2008 11:00

I'm really sorry, but there isn't a lot that can be done.  As I stated in my post three years ago, Dell sold these sort of on a "pass through" basis.  The chipset is an Intel 810 series, it can handle 512 MB of SDRAM (not even DDR, but PC-100), and the drivers were on a CD that was never updated or placed in the Dell support page.  I owned one until about two years ago.  If you look for this computer today on the Dell support site you will be told to call this number:  1-800-624-9896.  I have no idea if the number is even functional now.

My Smartstep 100D was delivered with a restore CD set that had Windows XP original edition on it.  To restore the computer you inserted the first CD, booted from it, and told setup to restore the system.  You then just sat back and watched until it asked for the second CD.  There was a drivers disk supplied also in the event you needed to reload just a driver.  This computer is one of the two computers that I know about that were supplied with restore CDs instead of a Windows installation CD.  I doubt very much that this item would still be available from Dell.

If you managed to get Windows 98 up and running on it, that's great.  I wish you luck getting additional drivers.

6.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2008 08:00

On re-reading this thread I realized I had forgotten another piece of hopefully useful info.  The integrated audio is Analog Devices; the ADI 1881.

No Events found!