redwing12340
1 Nickel

RE: Soon to be released new Dell Docks may require BIOS and driver updates on your laptop before use!

Good afternoon.  I just received my 2nd TB15 Dock.  I believe I have achieved some level of stability.  However, it seems as if my XPS15 does not believe that it is being charged.  I am using a 2nd monitor with the laptop closed.  I have checked the "do nothing" to the display when plugged in.  However, i need to check the same box when not plugged in to get the 2nd display to stay connected.  Does that have to do with the warning re not enough power to charge the XPS 15?  Which by the way is crazy considering the two items are marketed together.  

0 Kudos

RE: Soon to be released new Dell Docks may require BIOS and driver updates on your laptop before use!

Does anyone know if there is a reason all the drivers relating to the Thunderbolt Dock have been removed from the list of XPS 13 9350 drivers?  I do still see all the Thunderbolt Dock drivers listed under the XPS 15 9550.

The same drivers were previously listed on my 9350 support page but have since been removed.  Is the 9350 on hold for the time being?

0 Kudos

Redwing - I'm curious as to when you received your first TB15 dock and when you ordered the dock you just received. I received mine on Feb 1 and sent it back the next day and reordered on Feb 3 ( over the phone - the docks had already been deleted from the Dell website) and have been given a delivery date of March 3. Did you order your 2nd dock when they were still on the website or over phone/chat?

Good afternoon.  I just received my 2nd TB15 Dock.  I believe I have achieved some level of stability.  However, it seems as if my XPS15 does not believe that it is being charged.  I am using a 2nd monitor with the laptop closed.  I have checked the "do nothing" to the display when plugged in.  However, i need to check the same box when not plugged in to get the 2nd display to stay connected.  Does that have to do with the warning re not enough power to charge the XPS 15?  Which by the way is crazy considering the two items are marketed together.  

0 Kudos
redwing12340
1 Nickel

My first dock arrived on Feb 1st, my second on the 9th, which was ordered via tech support on 5th.  Ethernet still goes out and I have lost the stability I bragged about earlier.  As far as drivers, I installed all in no particular order, but I believe I have them ALL (which is ridiculous that a brand new $2,000 computer does not work out of the box).  I have a LG 34" monitor, connected to the dock via HDMI.  I have a logitech bluetooth keyboard (which has a bit of a lag) and a logitech bluetooth mouse, both connected with the installed bluetooth (as opposed to the logitech receiver).  The only items connected to the dock are the ethernet cable, the HDMI and the power source.  I did notice today that the light on the thunderbolt connector is no longer on.  I assume because computer fully charged?

0 Kudos
Mircolino
2 Iron

"I did notice today that the light on the thunderbolt connector is no longer on.  I assume because computer fully charged?"

That is weird. Mine is always on when connected, even when the laptop is fully charged or when is off or sleeping.
Is the dock of a new hardware revision?
Are the laptop fans still constantly spinning when the light on the connector is off (presumably not charging)?

0 Kudos

My first dock arrived on Feb 1st, my second on the 9th, which was ordered via tech support on 5th.  Ethernet still goes out and I have lost the stability I bragged about earlier.  As far as drivers, I installed all in no particular order, but I believe I have them ALL (which is ridiculous that a brand new $2,000 computer does not work out of the box).  I have a LG 34" monitor, connected to the dock via HDMI.  I have a logitech bluetooth keyboard (which has a bit of a lag) and a logitech bluetooth mouse, both connected with the installed bluetooth (as opposed to the logitech receiver).  The only items connected to the dock are the ethernet cable, the HDMI and the power source.  I did notice today that the light on the thunderbolt connector is no longer on.  I assume because computer fully charged?

Sounds like you are no better off than you were February 1 (Ethernet instability etc.) and now you have access to all new drivers, BIOS, patches etc.etc..

When I got mine on February 1, I uploaded no new drivers, had the .15 BIOS hadn't even done the Thuderbolt Software - Thunderbolt Controller bit (didn't read the white card before plugging the unit in). - I connected the Dell 32"4K monitor thru mini dp port, a 3.0 External HDD, a USB-C 3.1 external SSD, Logitech Bluetooth keyboard (through the laptop) and actually everything worked fine - then I plugged in the Ethernet Cable and all H... broke loose - constant dinging sounds of Ethernet, hard drives all dismounting and remounting. After that, I reflashed the BIOS and did the Thunderbolt Firmware/Controller drivers but absolutely nothing changed. Then unit was sent back to Dell.

I'm really wondering if there is a basic flaw in the hardware design having to do with the Ethernet since many people have reported the same problems. It may not be fixable with just more and more drivers/patches/BIOS. Perhaps the reason Dell pulled these units so quickly was to do a hardware revision so that the newer units coming out in another 2-3 weeks will be stable? Sure hope so.

0 Kudos
redwing12340
1 Nickel

My latest...Every 2 hours, I lose the ethernet connection.  Here is the description from the Windows System Log: Miniport Realtek USB GbE Family Controller, {334e43e6-709f-4d9f-b707-1a02397b9d42}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error.

The event ID is 10317.  Interestingly, it is the very same error/event that occurred with my first dock.  That error occurred every 30 seconds.  

0 Kudos
johnptd
3 Silver

Something very strange happened when I turned on my XPS 15 last night. When I shut the laptop down now, I always use a "shutdown /s" desktop shortcut to shut it down completely.Last nigh when I opened the lid and had not yet hit the power button, immediately the keyboard lit up and it was attempting to start up. After a several seconds, nothing appeared on the screen. The laptop not coming up completely happened once before. To get it going, I did a power shutdown by holding down the laptop's power button for several seconds until it shut down again. I thought that maybe a had accidentally left it on the previous day so after starting it up, I shut it down again with the shutdown shortcut, closed the lid, and waited a few minutes. I opened the lid again and the keyboard lit up and the computer resumed to displaying the desktop. I had no idea what was going on. After installing the TB15, I had played with the TB15's top button which I thought was the power button. Dell still has not released any User Manual for the TB15. The only thing that came with the dock was a "Quick Start" sheet that had very little information about it. There was a diagram indicating the ports in diagrams with tiny little icons. There were two icons associated with the button on top of the TB15, a crescent moon and a clock. There was no explanation of what this meant. Does this act as a timer for shutting down the laptop? So I played with the button again, but I think I made things worse. All of a sudden I lost my network connection. After playing with the button some more, I apparently reset things and I got the network connection back and I was able to shut the laptop down without it starting up after opening the lid.

Dell, we really need more information on the function of the top button and a better explanation of the ports of this dock. Also, should we leave the dock on all the time, or shut it down when the laptop is not in use?

Other than that issue, I have had few problems with the TB15. I am able to run the screen output via the HDMI port to a full HD monitor without any problem. I do have the higher fan reading (about 3200rpms) but I have to put my ear up close to the laptop to really hear anything. It seems like others have had a worse experience with that problem. I was able to connect to an external USB hard drive to create backups and that worked fine. Hopefully Dell will soon resolve the outstanding issues with this dock.

Thanks,

JohnD

0 Kudos

Dell really dropped the ball on this dock - looks like the sort of situation that occurs with little or no beta testing. I would much rather they had delayed the launch for another couple of months with more real world testing.

0 Kudos
Mircolino
2 Iron

After days of testing, I was able to achieve a stable solution by taking USB completely out of the equation, having the dock handle only my two external 4K monitors and running a USB cable from the laptop straight to a USB 3 hub with ethernet, audio, mouse, keyboard, scanner & HD cam connected to it.

The system has been running all day now with zero problems.

I don't mind having three cables (power, USB & TB) connected to the left side of the laptop when I'm in desktop mode, so at this point it just makes sense to return the TB15 and buy something like the StarTech Thunderbolt™ 3 to Dual DisplayPort Adapter for a cheaper, more flexible and less bulky solution.

0 Kudos