RE: Soon to be released new Dell Docks may require BIOS and driver updates on your laptop before use!

Actually - I did all those (latest updates as of Feb 02) and it didn't. I have already returned it to Dell and now the docks are off their website (both 240W and 180W). Many people on Notebook Review forum had the same issues with all latest drivers but someone applied the latest USB drivers from ASUS and it started working again.

Any idea when Dell will re-release the Docks (in working condition)?

0 Kudos
Thysanoptera
1 Nickel

RE: Soon to be released new Dell Docks may require BIOS and driver updates on your laptop before use!

Upgrade Bios, upgrade TB firmware and install ASmedia USB controller driver version 1.16.29.1. Dell doesn't provide this driver for unknown reasons, you can grab it from another manufacturer that provides drivers for the hardware they sell, like Asus:

https://www.asus.com/support/Download/5/35/0/5/Nye15BwOimHEJ7RQ/45/

Under USB. Everything will work just fine.

DellXPS9550
1 Copper

Can someone please provide me with the URL of the TB15 on the US site? I would like to have my company buy one for me and I need a URL to provide them.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RicLewis
1 Copper

The device that's having issues is the ASMedia 1142 USB controller.

There's a good post on reddit about how to install new drivers for the USB controller--appears to be working:

www.reddit.com/.../if_your_thunderbolt_dock_isnt_working

0 Kudos

Hi Colin,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Updated the BIOS and new Thunderbolt drivers.  Do you have a list of the exact Thunderbolt drivers I need to have installed?  I noticed there are some Thunderbolt drivers posted for the WD15 that didn't show up in my XPS driver list.  I installed the applicable Thunderbolt drivers from there as well. It would be helpful if there was a way to cross reference the drivers I have vs. what you post so I can see if I'm missing one.

Is there a certain order these have to be installed in? 

The USB ports seem to simply be unstable.  My USB speakers cut in/out.  USB Logitech wireless mouse cuts in/out.  Hope you have a fix!

0 Kudos
Mircolino
2 Iron

Agree with @Thysanoptera, with the latest system BIOS, thunderbolt firmware/software and Asmedia 1142 driver the dock appears to be stable, fully functional and actually quite amazing! 

Now I only have one nagging problem left: the excessive fan noise when the USB-C/TB port is in use. Even when the system is idle (and cold at ~30C), fans are constantly spinning.
Could someone @Dell confirm that this is a bug and it will be addressed in the upcoming A05 BIOS?

0 Kudos

Has anyone had problems downloading this driver from Dell website for the new docking station: Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver for Dell Thunderbolt Dock and Dell Dock All I get is "Signature is corrupt or invalid" and only option is to delete and not run and install.
0 Kudos

Colin -

With the current bios version, and the 3 4 firmware/drivers/patches applied, the dock still does not work on my 9550.

0 Kudos

Has anyone also had the following issues with the Thunderbolt 3 dock?

Issues:

-When undocking from the Thunderbolt 3 connector my XPS 13's curser speed drastically slows down. It isn't until I do a restart that it returns back to normal.  When docked and Logitec wireless mouse is connected directly there are no issues with curser speed. 

-USB speakers and USB mouse/keyboard cut in/out when connected directly to the dock.  Currently requiring me to plug directly into the laptop.

0 Kudos

Colin -

With the current bios version, and the 3 4 firmware/drivers/patches applied, the dock still does not work on my 9550.

Have you loaded the thunderbolt chipset driver?   You may also need to flash the thunderbolt firmware.

0 Kudos