kramrengaw
2 Iron

RE: Soon to be released new Dell Docks may require BIOS and driver updates on your laptop before use!

Agreed, the most pressing issue is to get this thing to actually work as it is intended. 

The ergonomics is apparently fine for some but certainly not for others. I guess we could argue that back and forth forever. But it makes no difference if the thing doesn't work.

So Dell, when can we expect some answers/help? 

0 Kudos

RE: Soon to be released new Dell Docks may require BIOS and driver updates on your laptop before use!

A new patch was just released to help with the USB audio/mouse/etc lag.   You can download the patch here (applies to all systems) -> http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03471411M/6/Dell_Dock_USB_TYPE-C_PATCH_2K0JJ_A00_SETUP_ZPE.exe

0 Kudos

Don't know what all that nonsense is but the link works OK.

I've been using one of these for a while now and once everything is set up, it works great for me.   Make sure you've updated system BIOS, updated firmware and installed all device drivers.   You may need to remove and replug the connector after doing this to get everything to enumerate properly.

If you are still seeing problems, please be as specific as possible when posting (system type, BIOS and driver versions, etc) so that it is easier to troubleshoot and root-cause.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
kramrengaw
2 Iron

I've applied the patch based on your link above and will give the TB15 another try. As a starting point I am running a stock XPS15 9550. Right now I am running, as I normally do at home, with the lid closed. using a Logitech USB backlit keyboard and wired ethernet connection both running thru an Anker 3 port USB 3.0 and Gigabit Ethernet hub. I'm using a Dell SX2210 display connected thru the HDMI port and stock laptop power adapter. Also using a Logitech M557 Bluetooth mouse. All of this runs perfectly and I have no issues with the system waking up from sleep, rebooting, or power on from a power off state. All drivers and bios are up-to-date based on the driver list for my system service tag at Dell.com. I have verified that all Thunderbolt drivers are latest and updated as of this morning. 

Test plan is to completely power off the system. Remove all cables and power adapter and reboot the system as a stand alone laptop. I will then connect the TB15 to its power adapter and connect the TB15 Thunderbolt cable to the laptop. Once that is working I will, one at a time, connect the Ethernet, USB keyboard, Bluetooth mouse, and then finally the external display using the HDMI output on the TB15. I will test between each device attachment and post detailed results.

The last time I attempted this everything worked fine until I attached the external display. As others have experienced, it worked for a bit and then began to go off and on. Also, when I put the system to sleep and then brought it back out of sleep none of the devices connected to the TB15 reattached. I will see what happens this time and post results. Thanks.

0 Kudos
kramrengaw
2 Iron

OK, down to 3 problems now (in order of importance):

1. If you are using an external monitor you can't close the laptop. As long as you keep it slightly open everything works fine. As soon as you close the lid after a short period of time the external display shuts off and any devices connected to the TB15 are disconnected. When you open the lid after a bit the screen comes on but none of the devices attached to the TB15 reattach. You have to reboot to get everything back. This is a significant issue.

2. Using the TB15 causes severe issues with my Logitech M557 Bluetooth mouse making it unusable. It works fine as long as it stays a few inches from the laptop. Anything past six inches and it stops working. Works fine several feet away when not using the TB15.

3. Fan noise. When not using the TB15 the fan is basically off (can't hear it). Using the TB15 the fan is always on, and somewhat loud.

I'm currently just using my monitor as a USB hub (mouse,keyboard,speakers) and then running the out directly to my XPS bypassing the dock for USB purposes. 

Power and Display for me seem to be the only thing working....partially.

My issues remain with:

1) When undocking from TB15 the cursor on my trackpad slows down to like 25%

2) Ethernet toggles cuts in/out.  Very unstable and toggles from wifi to Ethernet.

3) USB still unusable and having to go directly into XPS.

Is it a dream that a bundled updated driver will be released that fixes everything?  Killing too much time and resources waiting for these partial driver fixes that aren't actually fixing the problem.

Note: BIOS has been upgraded to 1.2.3 and all TB drivers and controllers have been installed.  No luck

0 Kudos
Reality Studio
1 Copper

I have all the firmware/driver updates with my Dell XPS 15 9550, and still have issues with the TB15 dock. It has many issues, for example sometimes the ethernet will just cut out and it will switch to wifi for a few seconds then come back to ethernet. My mouse/keyboard dongle usually works but every now and then will just cut out and stop working for a few seconds then come back. Or worse yet is if I have an external 2.5" hdd plugged in, then every time I tax the machine even a little like playing a Youtube video, like clockwork a bunch of devices will disconnect all at once as if it doesn't have enough power to run them all at the same time.

The dock is unusable to me, I can't run a business this way with uploads randomly getting ruined, keyboard/mouse going away randomly and not being able to use usb hdd's with it. I've returned it today. Maybe I'll revisit it late in the year and see if they have figured out how to make it work.

0 Kudos
sschaut
1 Nickel

I am in the same boat as Seattle, I have a XPS 15 9550 model with the TB15 dock.  I've reinstalled windows 10 twice from USB and updated all the drivers with the firmware updated (laptop and dock/thunderbolt controller) and still can't get the USB to stay up without the perpetual cutting in and out in device manager.  I've tried the ASMedia driver mentioned as well but that still didn't improve the situation.  Everything has been updated that I can up from the software driver list on Dell's site.  Today's latest reimage included everything as of noon today (CST).

When checking the devices in the Intel Thunderbolt utility, the cable with stay connected but the dock will continuously drop and reconnect.  The USB for the mouse and keyboard drop (no power) and will come back up several minutes later.  The dock for me is unusable in this state.

0 Kudos
kramrengaw
2 Iron

An additional issue. I can keep the external display on by not allowing the laptop to close. However, when coming out of sleep it does not activate the external monitor. You must go to the laptop monitor and switch to the external every time you wake the system up. Clearly not what you want from a dock.

kramrengaw
2 Iron

Progress, I am now able to close the laptop and keep the external display on. Unfortunately it was a combination a few things and I can't tell you the exact order but I think it is dependent on the order you do these things. With the laptop screen active and the external screen connected but not active you must go into display properties and select screen 2 (the external screen) and set it as the "main screen" and apply. Once the external screen is active and the laptop screen shuts off you then need to right click on an empty part of the screen and under "Graphic Options" make sure that your external display is selected (mine was "Digital Display") and not the laptop display. Then you need to reboot. At that point I was able to close the laptop and the external display stayed on and everything worked fine. So far waking from sleep works fine and it switches right to the external display. Not claiming victory yet as I have not yet tried a "restart" or a power off/on cycle. I'll try that later when I have time.

0 Kudos