sschaut
1 Nickel

RE: Soon to be released new Dell Docks may require BIOS and driver updates on your laptop before use!

My reply to Seattle didn't go though so let's try again.  I re-installed windows twice and have the same issues Seattle mentioned.  I've installed windows today and still have the issues from before and haven't seen any improvement.  Firmware is updated for everything as well.  This is on a Dell XPS 15 9550 with TB15 dock.

The dock is unusable right now and only provides power consistently.  I can unplug the dock and plug it back in in order to get the USB to recognize the devices for 20-30 seconds before the dock disconnects completely and won't even appear in the attached thunderbolt devices.  It seems like the dock itself needs to be power cycled to fix itself for a few moments before dying again.

0 Kudos
jg200388
1 Nickel

RE: Soon to be released new Dell Docks may require BIOS and driver updates on your laptop before use!

TB15

XPS 15 9550 Win10 Ent 64

BIOS: 01.01.15

Chipset: 10.1.1.13

Thunderbolt Firmware: 02.11.06, A02

Thunderbolt Controller 1575: 15.3.39.1 (driver says .250 but installs as .1)

ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller: 1.16.29.1  (upgrade didn't work mentioned by others)

Docks/Stands: Intel ME Driver Patch for Power Management: A00

Plugging in the TB15, I get about 20 seconds of full connection, then completely cuts off like the device has been unplugged (goes hidden in device manager), No video, USB connections, or internet. It will sometimes cycle on and off like this, or just stop and not reconnect again until reseating TB cable.

...the facts, as requested...

0 Kudos
kramrengaw
2 Iron

Unfortunately it turns out that even after all of that, if the system sleeps on it's own (after the time outs that I have set in power management) when I wake it up it does not return to the external display. The system wakes up but I have to open the laptop and then switch it back to the external display. 

Hopefully Dell is working on getting this fixed.

0 Kudos
kramrengaw
2 Iron

Updated to latest A19 bios. This has not fixed the issues with the external display. It will not return to the external display when coming out of sleep whether sleep is due to power plan timeout or putting the system to sleep manually.

0 Kudos

Hi,

The XPS 9550 BIOS has been updated today to 01.01.19. It has a fix for the dock issues. If you have the 9550 please apply the updated BIOS and check if it is resolving your issues

BIOS 01.01.19

Colin H
Dell | Social Outreach Services

I'm based in the UK and available Monday to Friday 9am-5pm GMT

0 Kudos
kramrengaw
2 Iron

I updated to the 01.01,19 bios. This has not fixed the issues with the external display. It will not return to the external display when coming out of sleep whether sleep is due to power plan timeout or putting the system to sleep manually. Every time i wake the system i have to open the laptop and re-select the external display. 

0 Kudos
kramrengaw
2 Iron

Due to the significant instability and problems I have disconnected the TB15 and went back to my old setup. I'll wait a few weeks to see if Dell can get the problems resolved and try again. I really want to like this dock but unless the problems get resolved I'll have to send it back.

0 Kudos
kramrengaw
2 Iron

Here is another mystery for the Dell folks to look into. The TB15 has both a service tag and an express service code on the bottom of the unit. Neither of them are recognized by the Dell support site?

They are - 

Service Tag - 252BM82

Express Service Code - 4659796802

0 Kudos
imremahcp
1 Nickel

Yep, same issue here...  Express Service Code don't do squat!  Really helpful when trying to get updated for the product.  Ha!

Still not fully functioning - network connection drops often and other mixed results, but that's the main issue.  I'm too busy with work to keep fiddling around with it, but I will try the new BIOS update and post results when I can.  Meantime, I've just been using the Dell USB 3.0 dock I we bought along with my XPS 15.  I guess this is what we get as "early adopters!"  Love the laptop though!

0 Kudos
jg200388
1 Nickel

TB15 / XPS 15 9550

all my driver versions listed a few posts ago

After running the update :

BIOS: 01.01.19

I can now get the monitors and USB to work on the dock (minus the black screen issue ill put at end)

..*IF*.. the network cable is NOT plugged in. Plugging in the network cable starts the cycling of the TB15 coming up and down with everything going down for about 20 seconds, up for about 20, back down, etc..

On that subject in the Thunderbolt Software settings (icon that shows on taskbar) > Details I have:

Software package: 15.3.39.250

Application version: 15.3.39.10

Service version: 15.3.39.7

Controller driver version: 15.3.39.1

Networking driver version: Unknown   < possible problem?

I have completely removed all the thunderbolt firmware and controller and reinstalled the newest and that Unknown still comes up.

As far as when the dock is working with no network, think Im having same issue as some others. When logging into Windows (win10 ent 64) I have to have the thunderbolt unattached or all external and laptop screens go black and never attempt to come back. Same thing when unlocking and logging back in. Have to hard shutdown, reboot with thunderbolt unplugged, log into windows, see desktop, then plug in thunderbolt.

Still unable to reach my company network, though, since hardwire network connection cant be used any other way.

0 Kudos