jg200388
1 Nickel

RE: Soon to be released new Dell Docks may require BIOS and driver updates on your laptop before use!

Was getting on to ask that myself (though, you cant just remove it) ...

Dell,

Did this driver Firmware exist on new laptops as a default already? I have the XPS 15 9550 and just received Jan 27th. If so can we please get a link to the firmware to flash back to an earlier version? Haven't been able to find one.

If the driver is brand new for your machines and there was no earlier version... what needs to be done here?

I have completely reinstalled windows, not using Dell image but just a straight windows install, and reinstalled all drivers by hand straight from the site (instead of relying on the CAB file). Yet the result is the exact same. Network cable is plugged in, everything goes down. I obviously cant touch the TB3 firmware with reinstalling Windows, so that makes me lean towards it as the culprit.

I have installed all the newest drivers, including:

1.  .19 Bios

2. Dell USB Patch posted in here

3. ASMedia USB 3.0 Extended Host Controller Driver for Dell Thunderbolt Dock
0 Kudos
Lokko24K
1 Copper

RE: Soon to be released new Dell Docks may require BIOS and driver updates on your laptop before use!

I have achieved stability when Ethernet attached with the following:

System: XPS 15 (9550)

BIOS: Upgraded  from 1.0.7 to .19 before plugging in the TB15

Thunderbolt Firmware Update: 02.11.06, A02 installed once TB15 attached

Installed ASMedia USB 3.0 drivers from Asus Website using a link someone posted in this thread.

Did not install the Dell USB patch.

Did not install Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver - leveraged whatever Windows detected.

Attached Items:

2 External HDDs

Gigabit Ethernet

HDMI

All working beautiful now but only after the ASUS ASMedia drivers.

0 Kudos
johnptd
3 Silver

I got my TB15 Friday. I decided to wait a few days to see what else might develop in regards to updates. I finally installed all the updates Monday night:

1) Installed BIOS Update v1.1.19.

2) Installed Thunderbolt Controller Driver 15.3.39.250. (Thanks for the prior post that mentioned to do this before upgrading the firmware)

3) Installed Thunderbolt 3 Firmware Update v02.11.06 (unplugged the TB15 before this)

4) Replugged in the TB15

5) Installed ASMedia USB 3.0 Extended Host Controller Driver v1.16.32.1.

6) Installed Realtek USB Audio Driver for Dell Thunderbolt Dock v6.3.9600.41.

7) Installed Realtek USB GBE Ethernet Controller Driver v10.6.1211.2015. (I already had a previous version installed for a USB-C Ethernet adapter I was using. The new installation asked to do a "Repair" installation.)

8) Installed Update for the USB audio/mouse on Dell TB Dock.

Everything installed fine. I then connected my ethernet cable to the dock and ran an 1.5 hour video podcast without any issues.

I will check some more things.

0 Kudos

With regard to the last two posts - does it matter in what order the various drivers are installed (except for Thunderbolt Firmware and Thunderbolt Controller Driver) and whether the TB15 needs to be connected in order to install all the drivers. In anticipation of getting a new TB15 I have installed all the drivers/patches without problems and they do show up in Programs/Features as installed (including the Asmedia driver that was on Dell site). Do some of them need to be reinstalled once the TB 15 is finally connected?

0 Kudos
johnptd
3 Silver

Unfortunately Dell really did not specify a sequence for installing these updates. If you follow what I did, you should be ok. Just remember two things:

1. You need to have any Thunderbolt devices disconnected when you upgrade the Thunderbolt firmware.

2. Before running the BIOS update (1.1.19), you need to have the Realtek High Definition Audio ALC3266 Driver updated to v6.0.1.7628.

At some point in the process I think I might have lost sound, but I believe it came back after installing the Audio driver for the TB dock.

JohnD

0 Kudos
johnptd
3 Silver

Another thing that would be useful would be some wording as to what the ports are instead of those tiny icons on the Quick Start Guide that you need a magnifying glass to see. They took the specs off the website but I can decipher most of them. There are a few I am not sure of:

1) On the side with the headset port and two USB 3.0 ports, there is one tiny one to the right of the two USB 3.0 ports which I can't decipher.

2) I think the button on the top may be the power button? It is represented by two icons: a crescent moon and a clock.

3) The tiny port above the power plug might be a plug for speakers? It is represented by two icons which do look like speakers.

JohnD

0 Kudos
johnptd
3 Silver

OK, the little thing next to the two USB 3.0 ports is the power on indicator light.

0 Kudos
imremahcp
1 Nickel

SUCCESS!!!

So I’ve had a stable connection to the dock, wired network connection and all, for the better part of this afternoon now!!!  I believe it was due to the installation of the driver below, which I don’t think I had installed yet.  FYI, Dell DOES NOT have this driver listed on the XPS 15 or the Thunderbolt Dock support pages.  It was linked to in a reddit thread I’d been checking recently (https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/440olx/if_your_thunderbolt_dock_isnt_working/) in which others had said it solved the issue.  I had tried connecting to the dock again this morning and had the same results.  After lunch I decided to install this driver and everything has been fine since! 

ASMedia USB 3.0 Extended Host Controller Driver for Dell Thunderbolt Dock

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=V2WY5

All other drivers, firmware, BIOS, etc. had been updated per XPS 15 and bolt Dock support pages

Give it a try and good luck and Godspeed all!!!

0 Kudos
kramrengaw
2 Iron

Sadly that does not address the issues with using an external display with the TB15.
0 Kudos

SUCCESS!!!

So I’ve had a stable connection to the dock, wired network connection and all, for the better part of this afternoon now!!!  I believe it was due to the installation of the driver below, which I don’t think I had installed yet.  FYI, Dell DOES NOT have this driver listed on the XPS 15 or the Thunderbolt Dock support pages.  It was linked to in a reddit thread I’d been checking recently (https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/440olx/if_your_thunderbolt_dock_isnt_working/) in which others had said it solved the issue.  I had tried connecting to the dock again this morning and had the same results.  After lunch I decided to install this driver and everything has been fine since! 

ASMedia USB 3.0 Extended Host Controller Driver for Dell Thunderbolt Dock

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=V2WY5

All other drivers, firmware, BIOS, etc. had been updated per XPS 15 and bolt Dock support pages

Give it a try and good luck and Godspeed all!!!

Are you saying that the Asmedia Driver listed on the Dell Website (when you select "All Drivers" and look under "Docks/Stands"  Version 1.16.32.1 does not work and the only one that works is from the ASUS website - Version 1.16.29.1??

0 Kudos