Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2012 21:00

Sound not working on XPS 14 Z?

Alright, so I am the complete opposite of tech savvy so this is kind of difficult for me, and I'm not sure where to get help from...

Anyways, I've had my Dell XPS 14 Z laptop for about 5 months now, and I really like it. I never ran into any problems- However, today, I tried to play some music on my browser and no sound came out. I've had the problem on other computers where no sound comes from the Internet, however, I tried playing things from my documents and control panel, and nothing worked. I checked multiple times if it was on mute, and it is not. Earlier in the day though, when my sound was working, the volume control on my taskbar had two things that controlled the volume, and now it only has one.

I tried looking things up and all I found was stuff about a sound card, and if you think that's the issue, then you need to tell me what it is and try and simplify things to the best of your ability. 

Thank you so much! 

4.4K Posts

August 16th, 2012 05:00

Hi  michelleh11,

Welcome to the Community,

It could be an issue with the Audio driver.Try uninstalling  and reinstalling it.

To uninstall Audio driver,Click Start,Click Control Panel,System,Hardware,Device Manager and expand Sound, video and game controllers. Audio controller is listed as shown in the image :

If both are listed as shown above,right click on Intel,click Uninstall,put check mark for delete driver software(if you get that option),click OK.

Than do the same for Realtek,right click on it,click Uninstall,put check mark for delete driver software(if you get that option),click OK.

Reboot/Restart the system,download and reinstall the driver from this link below :

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats/Product/xps-l412z?DriverId=TD7TP&FileId=2731103831&urlProductCode=False

After reinstalling driver check if you get sound.

Let me know if this helps,

Thank You

9 Posts

August 18th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

I recommend you to uninstall and reinstall your audio drivers from Device Manager. Also check your sound settings.

Visit the below link for more information on how to do this:

http://fixnosoundonlaptop.com/?p=9

No Events found!