Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2013 17:00

Speakers No Longer Working

My Alienware m14x is not even a day old yet and the speakers are no longer working at all. The speakers were working perfectly yesterday. Today, however, I was playing Skyrim in a public place and was therefore using headphones; the sound was perfect. Now that I'm at home I want to play with the speakers instead of headphones, but when I went to play there was no sound at all. I'm incredibly frustrated as I've had this computer for less than 24 hours and there's already something wrong. I've searched online for a while now and I still haven't found a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3.3K Posts

April 4th, 2013 19:00

Hi sarahB9633,

Thank you for providing the update. I sincerely apologize for the technical troubles you have experienced with your Dell computer.

Ensure speakers are set to default (windows 8):

• Press the Windows + W key.
  • Type Sound into the Search field for Settings.
  • Click Sound from the list on the left.
  • In the Sound window, select your Playback Device and click the Set Default button. If only one Playback Device is listed, it is set to default automatically.

If the above steps don’t resolve the issue, click the below link for No sound troubleshooting:

http://bit.ly/Zfs2e1

Also run Microsoft Fixit on the computer which can resolve No sound.

Awaiting your response!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 4th, 2013 20:00

If the above steps did not fix the problem then what I would do is to restore the laptop to the original factory configuration (see the AlienRespawn section on page 94 of the 14x Mobile Manual). That will return the laptop to the exact state it was in yesterday. If the speaker problem continues then that means there is a hardware failure in which case I would send it back for a refund as a defective unit.

If you would rather not restore the laptop to the factory configuration, you can just re-install the audio driver. If that does not fix it then again it is a hardware problem that you can confirm by restoring to the factory configuration. I cannot give you an exact link to your audio driver because I don't know your operating system and whether you have a 14x or a 14xR2, but you can get started here and follow the links.

[If you are interested in the kind of hardware problem it could be, see section 1 of the Headphone Jack FAQ.]

No Events found!