Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 25th, 2015 22:00

Speakers popping on Inspiron i7559

Hello!

I've gotten the Inspiron i7559 with 1TB HDD a few days ago and everything has been phenomenal except for the speakers, which make a tiny high pitched staticy popping sound whenever I launch some applications like Hearthstone and Skype, as well as some videos on youtube. The speaker otherwise works fine, I don't know what causes it. Is there any possible fix to it? Is it a hardware or a software issue?

1 Message

November 28th, 2015 03:00

Hi guys

I just received my dell i7559 and had the exact same issue. I did some research and determined that the cause of the speakers popping is that the sound driver (realtek hd audio) uses a power managing method in which it turns off the speakers after a certain period of non-use. 

The 'popping' noise is caused when the speakers turn back on in when audio is played on the device. 

The solution to this problem is to turn off the power management settings on the realtek HD audio driver. 

to do this, you must tinker with the registry

I broke it down into these steps

1) press windows button + R 

2) type in 'regedit' into the prompt

3) click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER

4) go to REALTEK ---> AUDIO ---> RTKNGUI64 ----> PowerMgnt

5) on the right hand side of the window, find 'enabled' 

6) modify the value to 0

7) restart computer

after doing this the power management for Realtek HD Audio will turn off, and I haven't had a problem with it since. 

Hope this works for you guys, cheers

February 1st, 2016 18:00

Got the same problem under windows 10 with a Dell i7559 (SSD version, i5 6300HQ). Spent around 5 hours on this, so this is my report (yes, I fixed it at last):

My speakers worked fine (in all sense: no noise at all when using them), the problem was when I tried to use the headphone jack.

Here goes all the things I struggled with, may be one of these does the trick for you (google to get more info on each).

- Tried updating drivers - didn't work.

- Tried fighting against goddam windows 10 which insisted in installing an old driver on top of the one I installed - didn't work.

- Tried using DFX instead of the Dell Maxx Audio Super Ultra Piece of *** - didn't work.

- Modified the registry for the Dell Maxx Whatever not to turn on and off my sound card in the name of the sacred and holy power management - didn't work.

- Tried changing the bit depth and sample rate to all possible values - didn't work.

- Updated the BIOS - Et voi là! Works like a charm now <3

Note: I'm using the latest realtek drivers. You can get them from the realtek site (which ***). I'll make you a favor and tell you that you want to download the "High Definition Audio Codec (Software)" from http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads. Yes. The word "driver" isn't there, but trust me, we're talking about BAD people here. Also, you can get the BIOS from the Dell site. Just google "Dell drivers", go for the first link and MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE RIGTH COMPUTER MODEL OR YOU CAN SEROUSLY DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER BY INSTALLING THE WRONG BIOS. Triple check that you are doing it right and close all other applications before updating.

2 Posts

October 26th, 2015 05:00

I've reinstalled the drivers, used a latency test on them that didn't bring up anything too serious, and tested it out using different programs but the problem still persists. I've noticed on startup there's a low static noise and on when I run programs that uses the speakers like Hearthstone there's the high pitches speaker popping then a low static noise. 

I've tried everything I can :(

7 Posts

October 28th, 2015 22:00

Hi Boohan,

I got my 7559 end of last week and am having the same exact issues with the speakers, they are amazing and loud, but the static, popping, crackle is in the background at times.

I updated all the drivers too, and only listen to youtube, i heart radio up untill now.

Were you able to get any resolution from DELL or maybe from another user?

Thanks

Edib

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 29th, 2015 07:00

/ello Boohan. I got your p.m. but I'll respond here because it is easier. These questions are for both you and Edib.

1. Is the noise only in the speakers or also in the headphones?

2. Do you get the noise only when on battery power or also when plugged in?

3. Do you hear the noise only when using the Realtek audio driver or also when using the Windows native audio driver? To switch to the native driver:

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

5 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 04:00

I've received my laptop 4 days ago and noticed pop right away. It seems more like a hardware issue with how the electricity is fed to the speaker.

Did the suggestions posted help with the speaker issue by any chance?

7 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 22:00

Hi,

sorry for the delay, I wanted to run though all of these thoroughly before I posted a reply.

1. only in the speakers

2. battery and plugged in

3. after switching to the native driver, i felt it was good for  a bit, but then noticed the poping and static sounds again(maybe it was a placebo effect after I switched).

I've been experiencing a bleep bleep bleep sound also occasionally, haven't linked it anything yet.

Thanks for your help.

Edib

7 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 22:00

It's still doing it. I'm afraid you might be right about hardware, but still hopeful.

Do we know how rare/limited these quad cores are?  just to figure out how big a sample size our 3 issues are(oviously not everyone is going to post here, plus might not even notice), but just wondering.

hope we can figure this out, It would be nice if Dell support would chime in.

Thanks again

Edib

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 23rd, 2015 05:00

1. only in the speakers

Most software glitches would be heard in both headphones and speakers, so it might be a hardware problem with the speakers. Make sure you have the newest version of the BIOS and if the problem continues Contact tech support and let them have a shot at it.

2. battery and plugged in

Then probably not a power management issue.

3. after switching to the native driver, i felt it was good for  a bit, but then noticed the poping and static sounds again

When you get the same symptoms with both the vendor's and the native driver, then unlikely that the driver is causing the problem.

7 Posts

November 25th, 2015 21:00

Hi Jim,

really appreciate the input! The BIOS is up to date, I already had a tech support agent update it on top of me already manually updating all the drivers in the device manager.

thanks again

Edib

1 Message

November 26th, 2015 10:00

Hi,

I just get the 7559 on Nov/25. It have same speaker issue. Who know the root cause?

Evon

7 Posts

November 28th, 2015 14:00

mine was located under hkey_current_user... Software...Realtek....Audio...Rtkngu164...enable...0

ill restart my pc and see if it works, but i believe im still currently using the native drive and its still popping mid video not on the beginning of a video.

ill post my findings.

Edib

5 Posts

November 29th, 2015 00:00

Your solution is the only one there is and a good one at that. The pop is less subtle. Thank you.

6 Posts

December 1st, 2015 05:00

Does this solution work with internal speakers? On my 5558 this disables power management for headphones only. External speakers still pop.

1 Message

December 1st, 2015 11:00

For me I had a high pitch problem with my headphones which use a usb, no problem with my earphones that don't use a usb, I got a really annoying high pitch noise when the jack on the headphones got in contact with the jack on my laptop, however I found for some odd reason there was no problem when I had my phone plugged it to the usb next to the headphones, don't know why it fixed it but it did, would really appreciate an answer from someone working in dell!
No Events found!