Highlighted
1 Copper

RE: Speakers popping on Inspiron i7559

Jump to solution

Hi guys

I just received my dell i7559 and had the exact same issue. I did some research and determined that the cause of the speakers popping is that the sound driver (realtek hd audio) uses a power managing method in which it turns off the speakers after a certain period of non-use. 

The 'popping' noise is caused when the speakers turn back on in when audio is played on the device. 

The solution to this problem is to turn off the power management settings on the realtek HD audio driver. 

to do this, you must tinker with the registry

I broke it down into these steps

1) press windows button + R 

2) type in 'regedit' into the prompt

3) click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER

4) go to REALTEK ---> AUDIO ---> RTKNGUI64 ----> PowerMgnt

5) on the right hand side of the window, find 'enabled' 

6) modify the value to 0

7) restart computer

after doing this the power management for Realtek HD Audio will turn off, and I haven't had a problem with it since. 

Hope this works for you guys, cheers

View solution in original post

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

mine was located under hkey_current_user... Software...Realtek....Audio...Rtkngu164...enable...0

ill restart my pc and see if it works, but i believe im still currently using the native drive and its still popping mid video not on the beginning of a video.

ill post my findings.

Edib

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Your solution is the only one there is and a good one at that. The pop is less subtle. Thank you.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Does this solution work with internal speakers? On my 5558 this disables power management for headphones only. External speakers still pop.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution
For me I had a high pitch problem with my headphones which use a usb, no problem with my earphones that don't use a usb, I got a really annoying high pitch noise when the jack on the headphones got in contact with the jack on my laptop, however I found for some odd reason there was no problem when I had my phone plugged it to the usb next to the headphones, don't know why it fixed it but it did, would really appreciate an answer from someone working in dell!
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I think that I'm facing the same issue and had tried many methods to get it rectified.

So far I suspect it's due to the Maxxsense software, too loud? maybe?

The all abnormal noise aka burst, pop, electric shock noise gone off when I turned off the Maxxsense.

Option 2, reduce the speaker & system volume to 50 with Maxxsense on.

Besides the above mentioned, the power option did cause an effect, things gone worst when it's at power saving mode; it's almost fine when setting it to balance mode.

Please have a try to the above mentioned, see whether we are having the same issue here?

P/s: I did try drivers from dell and suggestion from the forumers here, none succeed.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

sorry for the delay, but mine is still having the issue after the restart.

and still throughout the videos/songs, videos work fine on my wife's Dell and my cell phone.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi guys. Received my i7559 today, with 256gb SSD.

Same issue with speakers. Please let me know if you find out solution

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

My solution was to go into the audio options Speakers / Headphones Properties, Advanced and change options to 16 bit DVD quality and it seemed to clear it up and the noise hasnt reappeared since I did that *knock on wood*

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I got my 7559 yesterday - same issue with the speaker popping.

It seems like it is just the left speaker, and it only happens the first time a sound is played - or when a sound hasn't been played for a while, i.e. it doesn't happen every time a sound is played.

It is the same sort of static pop you might get with a home hi-fi system when you first turn an amplifier on and you haven't turned the speaker volume down.  It is as if there is a capacitor in there storing some charge which is released to the speaker the first time a sound is played, causing a static pop.

I tried updating the drivers - but that didn't fix the problem.

After reading juicetin's reply - that made a lot of sense to me so I've just given juicetin's registry key fix a try - and so far so good, it seems to have cured the problem - thank you!

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for now that it works - so far, so good!

VERY frustrating that this happens with a brand new system.