Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 16th, 2015 10:00

Spilled milk on touchpad?

Hi,

I spilled milk on my touchpad and the computer immediately shut off. It wasn't a particularly large amount and I wiped away what I could- it wasn't on the keyboard though I suppose it might've spread. Googled what to do on the PC, and promptly unplugged it from the wall. It is currently sitting upside down with the battery removed. I know too little about computer parts to be able to take it apart, but I'm checking the manual just in case. I have an Inspiron 15 3521. I've always been careful about liquids near my laptop, but the one time I'm not...ugh. Any chance of survival/any tips for fixing this? 

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 16th, 2015 13:00

If the system shut down when this happened, it's all but certain you shorted the system board.  Unfortunately, that's not an inexpensive part to replace (since the CPU is soldered to the board, you need to replace both the board and the CPU).   Given that this is a low-end system, it may well cost you 50% or more of what a replacement system would cost (and you may have components other than the mainboard that need to be replaced).

At a minimum, remove the keyboard and palmrest to check and clean up any liquid that got below these parts.  If you can't get the system up and running after a  cleanup underneath, it's likely going to work out better to replace rather than repair this system.

2K Posts

April 17th, 2015 06:00

Hi kayleighbee,

If the system is under warranty, then please send me the service tag of the system and your contact details through a private conversation. Or you could use twitter - @dellcarespro - we can DM through twitter and help you fix the issue.

Keep us updated.

2K Posts

kayleighbee,

Just to reiterate, if there is a valid complete care warranty (accidental coverage) - purchased with the order - then it will be covered under warranty.

Unfortunately my warranty has expired, but thank you for your concern.

Thank you- I'll be looking for a replacement.

No Events found!