Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 30th, 2016 03:00

Static noise from audio speakers - Dell XPS 13 9350

Hi, I bought Dell xps 13 9350 two weeks ago from Microsoft store. I read that I am not the only one who is having this issue.

I have no option going to dell tech support, because I live in Kyrgyzstan. Laptop was delivered to me from California by relatives.

Can you say what parts inside should be replaced or isolated, so I can go to local master and solve this issue. Thanks

1 Message

November 22nd, 2016 13:00

yep I have same problem with static sound on speakers on Dell XPS 13.  I fold the screen down to the shut position and then reopen and most of the problem goes away

2K Posts

April 30th, 2016 05:00

Hi ILIASKG,

We would need more info about the issue.

When does the static occur? What application are you using when the static occurs?  Is this issue while playing audio or video or both on the machine? Does this happen on both online and offline files - files from your HDD? Do the headphones work fine?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1SVquRD

Turn off the speaker enhancement and check -http://bit.ly/23gupYw

Run the audio test and headphone test in pccheckup - http://dell.to/21y9GPi

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us.

Keep us updated.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 30th, 2016 05:00

Can you say what parts inside should be replaced or isolated

Hello. Sorry but I don't think anyone can say for sure what is wrong with it, without more information. First there should be tests to determine whether it is a software or hardware problem. Unfortunately the tests might not be conclusive.

Even if it can be determined that it is definitely a hardware problem, probably no one could say where the problem originates, unless one had the laptop to examine and to test. You might have to use trial & error to find the faulty part.

If it can be determined that it is definitely a hardware problem, then listen carefully through headphones. If you do not hear the static, then replace the speakers. Removing the speakers is a fairly simple procedure in the XPS 13 9350, unlike most other Dell laptops, but finding new speakers could be a problem.

If it can be determined that it is definitely a hardware problem, and the noise does not exist in headphones, and replacing the speakers does not fix it, the next step would be to replace the motherboard with one from a laptop that is known to not have the static.

If it can be determined that it is definitely a hardware problem, and if replacing the speakers and motherboard (with one from a laptop that is known to not have the static) does not fix it, then it starts to get dicey.

If you want to replace parts, go to the XPS 13 9350 Support Page, then click on the blue ">Manuals". Find "XPS 13 9350 Service Manual", then click on "More languages" if you want a language other than English. Click HTML, or click PDF if you want a printable version of the manual. The Service Manual has instructions and diagrams for replacing all of the parts in the laptop.

331 Posts

May 4th, 2016 16:00

Hi Iliaskg,

Awaiting your response on the status of the system.

Do reply to this community thread so that if there are any more queries we will be glad to assist you.

2 Posts

May 14th, 2016 08:00

There are hundreds of posts and everyone who bought an xps is complaining about the issue.  Yes, the electrical static coil whine noise.  When is DELL GOING TO RECOGNIZE IT AND FIX IT??

I can't believe I've spent such amount of money on this piece of ***.

7 Posts

August 16th, 2016 01:00

had this happen to my dell xps 8500 desktop, come to conclusion that the motherboard audio is the problem, needs a new motherboard, i can go with a sound card in the pci-e slot also, the easiest and cheapest way to fix the problem and get sound is the get a 7.1 USB pnp sound adapter from the Chinese for $1.50, works great ,sounds good, problem solved with a desktop or laptop, works on both, then you can take your time fixing the problem and still have sound 

1 Message

September 7th, 2016 18:00

I received my brand new XPS 13 9350 today and have the issue. I first noticed it when watching a video and it is very disappointing to find this problem on day 1. Have tried the suggestions but it's not stopped. Should I return it?

2 Posts

September 12th, 2016 02:00

Bought Dell XPS 9350 8th Sept in the UK for £1399, this is top end spec and a price tag to match. Same issue as everyone else, static crackling when movement on screen. Went through Dell support and in the end the attitude of the representative was to return it to store and buy a different make of laptop! There are not interested in fixing the issue, put up with noise or take it back!

2 Posts

September 12th, 2016 07:00

Brand new XPS 9350 bought on 8th September PC World in the UK, Top Spec for at a top price. Out of the box the machines has the same static noise. Dell support acknowledge there is an issue but advise to return the machine and purchase a different machine, absolute Joke.

1 Message

September 14th, 2016 12:00

I am having the same issue with my brand new xps13.  THE SOUND IS DRIVING ME INSANE.

ALL ENHANCEMENTS ARE TURNED OFF

BIOS UPDATED

it even makes the sound when the speakers are muted.  

cost far far too much money for this rubbish.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 14th, 2016 14:00

I think the rep who is saying to return the machine has a point. Dell has a bad history with fixing audio issues. When an audio issue arises, there is no guarantee that Dell will, or can, fix it. If you keep a laptop past the return period, you will own the issue, in the sense that Dell will only take limited responsibility..

After the return period, your only recourse is the warranty, and the standard one only covers hardware, so if the problem is software you are out of luck if Dell cannot or will not fix it. Sometimes there will be a driver or BIOS revision that fixes it, and sometimes not.

Even if the problem is the hardware, there is still no guarantee that Dell will be able to fix it. If that were ever to happen, you would assume that Dell would then have to take the laptop back, however in the past Dell has been highly resistant to taking back a laptop for any reason, after the return period has expired.

So it's just my 2 cents worth, but that rep who is saying to return the machine could just be trying to give the most useful advice that he has to give.

2 Posts

November 8th, 2016 14:00

i have the same problem

no one at DELL can help me

some people of the DELL Support told me that the problem of the noise was the hot air coming from the cooling system that exit from the speakers ??!?!?!

other told me that is normal to ear this terrible sound because is pizo-electric effect ?!!

is unbelievable that DELL sell this product

Matteo from Italy

2 Posts

November 8th, 2016 14:00

i agree with you

!!!

1 Message

November 16th, 2016 13:00

Same issue here... Dell XPS 13.... very annoying issue.

1 Message

November 23rd, 2016 06:00

I noticed that the noise / crackles appear in the motion on the screen and only when using the sound card - during playback and audio for a few seconds. This is followed by silence for the launch of the next sound. I also noticed that the noise / crackles occur in the system recently launched and when you start to do hibernation and the awakening of the system the noise / crackling not returned. This may be a hint for Dell - which internal chipsets are reset during the wake up, and which are not? I assume that drivers do not reload again.

No Events found!