Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1.1K Posts

January 23rd, 2008 10:00

Stereo Mix and Vista Update

Dell is currently working with the vendor to investigate providing Stereo Mix support for Vista. There are, however, some significant challenges (e.g. DRM security restrictions) resulting from the design of Vista that need to be addressed, so this will not be a quick or easy task, and frankly may not be possible.

We will keep you updated.

17 Posts

June 7th, 2009 18:00

Hi Romuse and MSLady,

Sorry for the late reply (I keep meaning to tag these on email alerts). 

You can find the X-Fi notebook card at Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9150205&type=product&id=1218036213970  or Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102025 or Creative http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=17988  I'm sure you can find other sites that offer it too.  The Amazon site's unit listed is Creative's older version of this product and I can't speak to it's use or compatibility with Vista as I have the updated model listed in the three sites linked above. 

I have the Inspiron 1720 with Vista 32 bit.  I installed the drivers from the CD that came in the box with product then plugged in the card and it simply worked.  When you click on your sound icon go to recording devices and you should see "What U Hear" listed amonst the options.  Under What U Hear, it will say SB X-Fi Notebook.  To use it, click on it and  you will want to set that as the default.  (You can go back and forth with the options as the default as needed.) 

I don't mean to take it down so basic with the details but you never know the level of knowledge you're writing for, so please excuse it this is basic beyond your tech abilities. :)

Good luck to you both hope it works.

3.6K Posts

June 7th, 2009 19:00

My fault,when creative first launched this they advertised it as only working with the wireless reciever and wireless speakers.That is why i kept my X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook and did not upgrade to the newer version.

17 Posts

You're very welcome Roumse.  Again, my apologies to have responded so much later. 

No worries Dgkpcon, glad your version of the product works for you.

10 Posts

Thanks Doveink,

I will buy it this week and update you on the forum how things went, glad to know after all this time that I will be able to have stereo mix even with an additional hardware.

cheers

17 Posts

Respectfully, that is not the case.  It does work thru both notebook or external sourround sound speakers.  With this product, it offers the additional ability to use it wirelessly with the wireless speakers.  I do not have those.  I hear my sound from this soundcard from both my notebook speaker and also external speakers that I plug into the Creative X-Fi card. 

June 9th, 2009 10:00

Hi all,

(first time poster, please don't laugh) I recently (like two days ago) bought a Dell laptop and (like the rest of you it seems) was dismayed to find I couldn't select a recording source anymore in programs like Audacity. I didn't the thing where you display the hidden recording devices and the only two options displayed were Microphone and Stereo Mix. I set the Stereo Mix to default, but nothing has changed. I still can only record sound through the microphone. I've been googling around but haven't been able to find any solution for my particular laptop: DELL Vostro 1510, Realtek HD Audio Manager. Any help?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 6th, 2009 07:00

See my reply in the other thread you posted in.

12 Posts

July 6th, 2009 07:00

I noticed this was posted back in January.

I have a

Studio 1735 Intel Core 2 Duo T5850 2.16GHz 667M

I've had it less than a year, but it is essential that I get stereo mix to work on this computer ASAP. 

As all the threads on this have old replies, is there a more current work-around?

Thank you in advance for an anticipated quick response.

1 Message

November 13th, 2009 13:00

Hey,

I talked to my Dell Tech Team about an idea that I had to overcome the omitted Stereo Mix Recording problem and they could find no fault with it.  Furthermore, I tried it and it works!  I have an XPS M1730 (Vista 64) that has two headphone ports and a microphone port in close proximity to each other on the front left-hand corner of the machine.  Plug one end of a typical 3.5mm mini-stereo patch cord into one of the headphone jacks, and the other end into the microphone jack.  What goes out on the headphone jack goes back into the microphone jack.  Then, plug a headphone into the spare headphone jack to monitor the audio as the speakers are defeated at that point.  That seems to provide the desired results.  As I write this, I remember that the portable freeware product, Audacity, recorded only to a monaural track, but I can't remember if the portable freeware product, Waveosaur, had the same shortcoming.  The volume needs to be turned up pretty far but the fidelity seems to be great!  If you don't have two headphone jacks, a common 3.5mm mini-stereo "Y" adapter plugged into your headphone jack ought to do the trick.

I was worried that the impedance was mismatched enough to stress a component and fry a board, but was assured by the Tech Team that it wasn't the case.  After trying it with complete success, I concur.  I could not detect any humming in the recording--it appeared clean, and without any ambient noise!  It's low tech, but hey, whatever works!  Also, it can't hurt that it is a $5 solution!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 13th, 2009 15:00

Thanks for sharing, that's what makes the forum work.

The patch cable idea comes up pretty often -- even earlier in this thread if you care to read through it, but I didn't know that the 2nd headphone jack could be used for monitoring. Thanks for that nugget.

For stereo tracks in Audacity: Edit Menu>Preferences>Adio I/O tab. In the "Channels" dropdown box select "2 (stereo)".

Re impedance, it's line-out to line-in so it would be peculiar to have a mismatch.

No Events found!