Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2016 10:00

Stolen Laptop Inspiron 14z N411z

My friends laptop has been stolen while travelling in other country ... the Data in this laptop is really important and we need to get this data back ... i hope anyone can help me ?? 
Best regards,

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 2nd, 2016 10:00

Unless you've subscribed to a locator system (CompuTrace,etc.) ahead of time - the chances are exceedingly slim.

You can report the system stolen to Dell support (see below) -- if someone were to send it in they'll notify you, but the chances of that happening are very slim.  Otherwise, you'll need to go through whatever law enforcement there is where the system was stolen.

www.dell.com/.../stolen

November 2nd, 2016 17:00

Yes,  you have to subscribe to Computrace and pay a fee for the service.  Just activating it is BIOS will not ensure that it can be traced.  There is also a client application that needs to be installed in Windows.  Basically it forces it to talk to the Computrace system and then you are in the system.  By the way, I was on the Computrace end of security for a little bit when I was in IT.  It is a scary system because it can tell you what the computer is installed with AND what applications have been ran on it too.  Like bittorrent.

No Events found!