Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 18th, 2017 14:00

Storage: Inspiron Gaming 15 7567 4k UHD

The 4K 7567 Laptop comes with a 512GB SSD. I would like to add another drive, preferably SAD. However both Dell Support and internet sources provide conflicting data on whether another SSD can be added, varying "yes" or "no" between Dell spare parts sales persons. Internet sources are not definitive either.

Questions: Is there an available slot, and if so, is it SATA HDD only (as one Dell person says), or, M.2 ADD compatible, as another Dell salesperson has stated, or, another format?

Another 500gb SSD Is preferable, but, can I go with an HDD, if an additional SDD cannot be added?  

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 18th, 2017 17:00

You said your system came with a 500 GB SSD.  If that were an M.2 drive you could add a 2.5 inch drive, whether SSD or HDD.

One M.2 drive and one 2.5 inch SATA drive.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 18th, 2017 15:00

The 7567 has space for one M.2 drive and one 2.5 inch drive.  A battery size may alter whether you can use the second slot if you got a larger battery, but not sure.

My system came with an M.2 drive and the hardware for a 2.5 inch drive.  Currently folks are saying, due to supply problems, a current system may not have the extra hardware.

The M.2 drive can be run as SATA or PCIe, depending on how you have the SATA controller configured.  Using RAID puts the M.2 slot into a SATA configuration and AHCI or disabled puts it into a PCIe configuration.

The M.2 slot can handle M.2 PCIe drives and possibly M.2 SATA drives but I have not tested the pure SATA.

13 Posts

August 18th, 2017 16:00

Thanks Sawgrass, glad that you were able to decipher my OP misspellings! Yep.I saw the comments about possible missing cable and sata connector. It has been awhile since I built a system and SDD's have gone mainstream with new form factor and drive commo and formatting. Am I mistaken that a SATA SSD can be run from a SATA connector and bay?

13 Posts

Was the secondary (non-OS) 2.5 drive a hdd, or, sad. Trying to learn if I can run 2 each sdd drives in the 7567, or, can only add an hdd, or, am I stuck with only one SSD, as originally configured.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

If you are referring to a 2.5 inch SSD, the connector is on a cable and the bracket is two separate pieces which screw into the drive and then get screwed down to hold the drive in place.

Everything on this system is internal.  To reach the drives or memory or Wi-Fi or battery, the bottom panel has to be removed.

When installing an OS on the M.2 drive, I always suggest removing the other drive to avoid confusion.  When I did mine, I replaced the original M.2 drive and used a Win 10 recovery media to reinstall on the same size new drive.  I added the 2.5 inch drive later and it did not come with an OS installed.

13 Posts

August 18th, 2017 17:00

Thanks Sawgrass.

13 Posts

August 18th, 2017 18:00

Thanks Sawgrass. I know it seems obvious but there was some conflicting reports, including from Dell sales.

No Events found!