Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

K

17 Posts

April 16th, 2007 20:00

Strange L400 problem

Hi guys,

I bought an L400 a while ago. No OS on it, but I could open the setup pages via the F2 key.
I have now got myself an 10NRN cable and have connected the CDrom for installation of an W2K OS. Nothing happened. I then tried a floppy boot disk, again nothing happened. I tried to get into setup again and couldn't. I reset the L400 after taking out the battery and unplugging the power cable, via the small hole on the back above the battery compartment. Held for at least five seconds. Still can't get into setup.
I took out the HDD and put it in an older Lattitude CP and formatted the HDD. Put it back in the L400 and I still have the same problem.
I know the L400 HDD is ok because I also tried and succesfully set up W2K on the CP then reformatted after.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions please?

Regards,

Kevin

Edit. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Message Edited by KBL on 04-16-2007 04:05 PM

4.2K Posts

April 20th, 2007 20:00

Hi,

What Bios version do you have ? There were issues with the early ones. If you can get into Bios does the boot device section have greyed out entries ? Changing the memory size can prompt it to giving an option to enter Bios.

Regards Chris

17 Posts

April 20th, 2007 21:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure what the BIOS version is. I can only get as far as the DELL splash screen with the "Press F2 to enter setup". As I mentioned in my original post, even selecting F2 then does not give any results, were as before I could enter the setup pages.
Is there any other way to find out? Would removing the memory and then replacing give me any further options?

Kevin

Message Edited by KBL on 04-20-2007 05:16 PM

4.2K Posts

April 21st, 2007 20:00

Hi,

The Splash-screen should have the Bios number. Changing the Mem size, often when you do this the computer sees the difference and gives an option to continue or enter Bios. Have you tried an known working external KBD ? [ not USB ] If you cant get into the Bios then the MBD may be faulty. You can get a replacement for under  $100 if this is the case. The greyed out Boot order settings is the clue to what I think may be the fault.

Regards Chris

17 Posts

April 22nd, 2007 09:00

Chris,

I think we are talking about different things.

This is the screen I mean..

I can't get any further than that at the moment. This seems to have happened since I formatted the hard drive in my old Lattitude CP, as I didn't have the 10NRN then, but have now.
I am waiting for the delivery od a IDE 2.5/3.5 usb adapter and hope that I will be able to do something using that.

"Have you tried an known working external KBD ? [ not USB ]"  KBD??
"If you cant get into the Bios then the MBD may be faulty. Motherboard?" I bought this in working condition and as it's not been used yet I would hope it's not the MOBO.

It's strange that I could enter setup before I formatted the HDD in the CP.
I seem to remember seeing a NHFS???, not NTFS partion on the hard drive at some point and think that this maybe a adverse effect of formatting on a different machine.

Kevin

Message Edited by KBL on 04-22-2007 12:07 PM

4.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2007 18:00

Hi,

Most Latitude's show the Bios number, not yours..... The issue I was thinking about happens when the Bios battery goes flat. The reason for the external KBD was in case your " F2 " is bad. There were a few Dell's with a hidden reset button, yours may have one underneath. Check the manual. Also, you cant boot from a USB device. Have you had it sitting around for a while ?

Regards Chris

17 Posts

April 24th, 2007 08:00

Hi Chris,

I tried the external keyboard anyway and it didn't make any difference, so we can cancel that problem out.

I have tried the reset button underneath a few times, with no luck.

I was not intending to boot from the USB IDE, but only use it to check that the HDD is formatted properly. I'll let you know what the outcome is when I try it. I should be receiving the USB IDE soon.

It has been sitting around for about four months, while I was sourcing a 10NRN cable. I used to start it up every once and a while and was able to hit the F2 key and get into setup.

Kevin

Message Edited by KBL on 04-24-2007 04:51 AM

17 Posts

April 25th, 2007 13:00

UPDATE:

Checked the HDD and deleted all partitions on it (none were recognised by W2K when connected). Did not reformat as I thought I would leave that to the OS when and if I get it going.

I have removed all components and then reseated memory.
Still have the same problem.
I tried a floppy bios update, but this didn't accomplish anything.

My only other thought, before progressing to possible replacement of the mobo, is that the CMOS battery may be too weak to boot the BIOS. I will leave just the just the mains power on over night and see if there is any life tomorrow.

If there isn't any life, I will have to check the voltage outputs from the CMOS battery. I have seen that it's 7.2V, but does anyone know what the lowest voltage required for bios boot would be?
My guess would be about the 5V mark, but if someone could just verify before I check, I would be very grateful.

Regards,

Kevin

Message Edited by KBL on 04-25-2007 10:23 AM

4.2K Posts

April 27th, 2007 14:00

Hi,

The voltage should be marked on the Bios battery, and the number of cells will tell you anyway. The battery is under the KBD. The trim above slides to the side, after you push a pin in the hole above the delete key. NOT the mic. hole. The fix for the problem I remember [similar to yours ] was to disconnec the Bios battery, remove the main battery and plug in the adapter for around 10 minutes. Re-connect the batteries and try again. It may be worth a try anyway.

Regards Chris

17 Posts

April 27th, 2007 16:00

Hi Chris.

Right. After leaving just the mains on for a couple of nights, no change.
I know the CMOS battery is 7.2V (6 cells - 3 on top of 3).
I was trying to find out what level it would have to drop to for it to stop running the bios?

I measured the CMOS battery voltage a little while ago and it first registered 5.95V but then rapidly dropped to 5.73V. Is this a high enough voltage?

I tried your suggestion Chris. No change.
I tried without the CMOS battery in hoping to get some sort or error code, but again no change, exactly the same.

This would indicate to me that either the CMOS battery is not strong enough (would like verification if possible) or there is indeed a problem with the mobo. (Although I feel it may be more likely the battery)

I would hazard a guess that the CMOS battery could probably do with changing anyway, so will try and source a replacement and see if there is any change. I will then know to go further or not with regarding the mobo.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help so far.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Message Edited by KBL on 04-27-2007 12:33 PM

17 Posts

April 30th, 2007 22:00

UPDATE:

I am now typing out this message using my L400! :smileyvery-happy:

Now the info....
I ordered a new CMOS battery on Saturday. However, I have not received it yet. :smileysurprised:

Between my last post three days ago and now, the L400 has been sitting waiting for the new CMOS battery to arrive. In the meantime I contacted Dell who very kindly respond today and after I replied to the message I thought I would try the L400 one more time. I replaced the Hard Drive and plugged in the mains power (it had been sitting without both for the last three days.

GUESS WHAT HAPPENED??

:smileysurprised: I pressed F2 and it entered setup!!! :smileysurprised:

Installed OS no problem and is working fine so far, but in the back of my mind I'm expecting some sort of failure in the not to distant future. In fact, I will be turning off in a few minutes and will be very happy if all is still well in the morning.

Don't ask me what happened, it's the wierdest thing! I can only guess that the rest without power or HDD did something, but for now we're ok.

Many thanks for your help up to this point Chris.
I will obviously be back if there are any further developments.

All the best,

Kevin

Message Edited by KBL on 04-30-2007 06:35 PM

17 Posts

May 7th, 2007 21:00

Just to let you know, everything is going fine at the moment. :smileyvery-happy:

Only one little niggily problem with num lock engaging when I log on, but I'll leave that for another thread.

:smileywink: 

4.2K Posts

May 8th, 2007 06:00

Hi,

Glad to hear it's still going. Have a look at the Bios version, if below 5 I would think of an update. Check the Bios for the Num lock setting.

Regards Chris

17 Posts

May 8th, 2007 11:00

Hi Chris,

I updated the BIOS version from A01 to A09 after installing the OS.
I checked the BOS settings already and there is no sign of any choice to set Num Lock on boot.

The strange thing is, it only happens when I log on under my profile, but doesn't do it when I log on as Administrator. I had a look in the control panel keyboard section and again there was nothing there.

Strange.

Kevin

17 Posts

May 18th, 2007 08:00

Still haven't found a solution to this num lock problem.
I have even tried setting up a new profile, but I still get the same result.:smileysad:
No Events found!