just received sudio 1749,,,,no sound from subwoofer,,, no subwoofer speaker icon either... spent 1.5 hours with dell tech... took me to diagnostic with cd... no sound from subwoofer.. test one sound came from L speaker test 2 and 3 came from the right speaker.. i think alot of people with the studio laptops having the same problem.. dell will send a technician to come to my house to replace the subwoofer in 2-5 days.. ill keep you posted the result.. 😃
This is what I did:
Click on the speaker icon at the right of the windows taskbar, right next to the clock and date.
Open the Speakers / Headphones Properties window by clicking at the top of the little volume meter.
Check Loudness Equalization and Bass Boost.
Click on the words, Bass Boost and then click Settings.
Change Frequency to 225Hz and Boost Level to 12dB.
Now that should sound very palatable!
Guys, I thought the subwoofer is broken too but after fiddling around and reading I came to the conclusion it is definitely not! I managed to get a decent deep sound with a nice bass response with the following steps:
Note: This is for Studio 1555 with Winows 7, other models work probably too but were not tested.
0) Install the newest IDT driver software
1) Throw in any track you like and turn up volume
2) Open the IDT panel and go to "SRS Premium"
3) Set Speaker size to M (that size defines the cutoff frequency for the sub, M is something about 200Hz. S ~400Hz, L ~100Hz) Note: S and L sound totally shite it´s horrific ... Please don´t try .. Please
4) Level "SRS TruBass" all the way up to 100% (that tells the driver to give 100% audio output level to the pin on the mainboard which connects the sub). Note: I could slap IDT for that approach because TruBass doesn´t send the cut frequencies of the source material rather than inflated ones which results in pumping and overdriving. Bad subwoofer + bad source material = instant death ...
5) Turn Definition, Center, Space and Focus down to 0%: You will hear a muffled sound from somewhere unrecognizable. Turn your laptop to the back and get your ear on the grill directly left to the maintenance flap. You´re right, thats a living subwoofer 🙂 Note: SRS distorts the source material so badly it hurts, so please don´t use it more as described in these steps. If you don´t hear that muffled sound you´ve to get a new sub.
6) Turn "Center" up to get the mids and treble of the other speakers. I chose 50%.
GL HF 🙂