Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

August 29th, 2008 15:00

Studio 15 Finger Print Reader Problems

I have a Studio 1535 laptop and for some reason my fingerpint software isn't funtioning.  I have downloaded the drivers from the support webpage and installed them, however there doesn't seem to be any fingerprint recognition software.  I did some searching and found that the DigitalPersona software is the software to use.

The problem is that when I use the DigialPersona software to register a fingerprint it claims that the reader isn't plugged in.  It's embedded into the case and isn't a USB reader and also within the Device Manager it shows as functioning correctly with all the drivers correctly installed.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might get this working correctly?  I was getting to like just swiping my finger rather than typing in passwords!

Thanks,

Mike

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2008 14:00

Bump

31 Posts

September 24th, 2008 00:00

I too am looking for the software b/c I just did a clean install of vista...let me know how u make out

October 5th, 2008 12:00

seems to be a problem with the Studio 15's (1535) because I've sent a few out to employees and clients, and for no reason, the computer stops recognizing the reader.  At the Vista login screen, it says "reader not detected" and when you log in, the software icon in the tray says the reader is not enabled.  IT IS, though.

Once, it worked, and we enrolled fingerprints.  Rebooted, and NOT FOUND.

Very frustrating.

3 Posts

October 17th, 2008 09:00

HELLO!

I have the same problem with my Studio 1535, it's so frustrating!

The DigitalPersona software, as you said, doesn't recognize that the fingerprint reader or its drivers are actually connected and working.

I have been able to get it working again by uninstalling and then reinstalling the Authentec fingerprint reader drivers in the Device Manager, however, this only lasts until the next reboot, at which time the software cannot detect the fingerprint reader and I have to login to windows manually. Even though Device Manager says everything is fine, mind you.

I'm not geeky enough to know what that means.

Can anyone here help?

October 17th, 2008 11:00

I got this fix to work.  Try this--there are two versions of the Fingerprint driver software, one dated 2/2008 and one dated 5/2008.  The one that comes on the Dell (and is on the hard drive in the DELL/DRIVERS folder) is the 5/2008 version.  Check your device manager and look at the date of the driver for the fingerprint reader. 

If it's the 5/2008 driver, go into control panel and remove that software.  Then download from Dell.com the 2/2008 driver that is available there (it's shown as a 6/2008 release, but it is the initial release, and the actual driver files are 2/2008).  Install that.  Reboot.  Now, it should work all the time.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the 2/2008 and 5/2008 version is, but at least the former one works!

3 Posts

October 18th, 2008 11:00

No luck here, it still fails to detect after the next reboot.  :(

I just installed the 2/2008 driver fresh, and that worked temporarily, until the next reboot when it failed to detect. I've tried this with both versions of the drivers without success.

Just then I updated the existing 2/2008 driver (that wasn't being detected) to the 5/2008 driver version, and now it still doesn't work, only AtService.exe is going crazy hogging 50% of the processor!

I'm going to uninstall the thing and keep trying...

October 18th, 2008 12:00

Yes, I had that AtService.exe using 50% CPU problem also with the 5/2008 driver.  Constantly. 

Sorry the "fix" wasn't for you.  So far, my Studio 15's FP reader is working consistently. 

One other thing you can try is the Digital Persona software that is available on HP.com...I think I may have done that before I did the steps above.

Here is a link with instructions on where to get it and how to make it install on a Dell:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=299986

3 Posts

October 18th, 2008 13:00

Tried again with the HP DigitalPersona trick as you mentioned, but it still does the same thing.

Works temporarily, but then after I reboot... "Detecting reader..." is all I get at Vista login screen. Then if I try and use the DigitalPersona software it tells me to go and download and install the drivers... Which of course are already there.

The only difference I see is that in Device Manager it has now changed from "Biometrics" to "Personal Identification Devices."

Got me stumped!

Thanks for all the help, if you can think of anything else that would be greatly appreciated

1 Message

February 7th, 2009 19:00

Hi

I recently purchased a 1536 studio laptop and had the same problem of "Reader not detected" everytime I reboot the system or come out of hibernate mode.

After some poking around this is what worked for me: I went to Control Panel --> Device manager --> expanded the Personal Identification Devices branch --> right click on AuthenTec Inc AES2810 --> choose properties --> go to "power management" tab of the new window and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".  After doign that my reader has stayed on past a dozen reboots, hibernates and sleeps now (I waited to make sure this solution holds for several days)

Theory part of why it may have worked: the computer was turning off the device (may be it is hard coded into the power management logic in Dell) and driver was voluteering itself to be shutdown to save power. That is why a reinstall works (because the driver install would have powered it on) only for reboot to turn it back off. 

I hope this solution works for others

cheers

315 Posts

February 8th, 2009 02:00

;^) I purchased a second-hand DELL USB fingerprint reader, and scoured the Dell site to find appropriate drivers and applications.

The application software I use is called Protector Suite QL, and can be found at http://www.upek.com/, if you look about a bit.

:^/ I don't know whether this will cure your woes, but it works well enough for me so far....

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2009 09:00

Sorry, my pasted portion ran off the page above... Here it is again...

Disable Windows Defender After Switching Security Software

After one too many false alarms, system slowdowns and hopelessly phrased help screens, I decided to ditch my installation of Trend Micro Internet Security Pro and switch to CA's Security Center. I knew that would involve much uninstalling, installing and rebooting. However, I forgot that in the brief (and offline) period when I'd dumped Trend and hadn't installed CA, Vista would reactivate its built-in Defender software, creating many a potential conflict down the road if I didn't banish it from my system start-up.

To disable Defender, run it from the main Start menu, click on Tools, select Options, scroll down and untick 'Use Windows Defender' under the administrator section. Click Save and fight your way through the UAC prompts. Double-check that it's been exited from the task bar as well, and you should be good to go. If Microsoft pushes ahead with plans to provide free security software for Windows users, this process will likely get even more fiddly in the future -- but running multiple security software packages is pretty much always a recipe for disaster.

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2009 09:00

I did find out that Windows Defender may be a problem here.  Try turning it off and seeing if that helps.  I just purchased my Studio 1536 and the fingerprint reader would only work once in a while.  I did go in and change the power management settings of the fingerprint reader software as suggested above, but it did not help.  Of course, Windows Defender is a security software, but if you have your own, you most likely don't want two programs of this sort running.  It slows down your machine and caused these sorts of problems.  Being new to Vista, I had never heard of Windows Defender!  Now I know!  Hope this helps...

Disable Windows Defender After Switching Security Software

Australian Post Posted by Angus Kidman at 9:00 AM on November 21, 2008

After one too many false alarms, system slowdowns and hopelessly phrased help screens, I decided to ditch my installation of Trend Micro Internet Security Pro and switch to CA's Security Center. I knew that would involve much uninstalling, installing and rebooting. However, I forgot that in the brief (and offline) period when I'd dumped Trend and hadn't installed CA, Vista would reactivate its built-in Defender software, creating many a potential conflict down the road if I didn't banish it from my system start-up.

To disable Defender, run it from the main Start menu, click on Tools, select Options, scroll down and untick 'Use Windows Defender' under the administrator section. Click Save and fight your way through the UAC prompts. Double-check that it's been exited from the task bar as well, and you should be good to go. If Microsoft pushes ahead with plans to provide free security software for Windows users, this process will likely get even more fiddly in the future -- but running multiple security software packages is pretty much always a recipe for disaster.

No Events found!