au071
1 Copper

Studio 15 - Have trouble with Windows waking up from Sleep

I bought the Studio 15 couple months ago and am having a lot of trouble to get windows to wake up from Sleep mode; 80% of the time, it will wake up once I click the power button; but 20% of the time, the light blinks and then it just dies; I will then have to hard restart the computer.  It is very frustrating. I ahve another Dell laptop with Vista and don't' have this problem at all;

What is going on?  Is this a hardware problem? I haven't installed any software except office.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Gb755c
2 Iron

Re: Studio 15 - Have trouble with Windows waking up from Sleep

Have you checked for a flash BIOS update?  sometimes they fix bugs with a new flash BIOS release sometimes they change things with power management, fan schemes etc.  I would hit the support site and see if the BIOS offered is different from yours.  While the computer is booting up look at the bottom of the screen it should list the BIOS version for example my fiance's Vostro has A06.  If you see an A07 or higher it wouldn't be a bad idea to download and run the flash.  It's a windows based application and will do everything for you.  If that doesn't work then try going into your power management and as a test set it so the thing never goes to sleep.  If that doesn't work then I would either think about reinstalling windows or a hardware issue in either case contact Dell first since you are under warranty.
0 Kudos
au071
1 Copper

Contacted Dell support this morning and they installed several updates, bios, video driver, etc; said everything should be fine; froze again this afternoon; wouldn't wake up.

It is really upsetting...

0 Kudos
au071
1 Copper

Another call with Dell tech support, changed two more settings; the tech support said it will surely solve the problem.

Froze twice today.  Lost all confidence in Studio 15...

0 Kudos
evanr451
1 Copper

I am having a similar issue with my 2-week-old Studio 15.

I have it set to sleep when the lid is closed on battery power.  About 10% of the time it will not wake up when the lid is opened.  The capacitive buttons flash in sequence, and the keyboard backlight comes on, but no video.  I can adjust the keyboard backlight, and the capacitive buttons glow when touched, but that's it.  Caps lock and Num lock do not work.  If the lid is then opened and closed, keyboard stays illuminated, capacitive buttons do not flash again.

It is as if it has partially woken up but is stuck.  As I'm writing this now I'm wondering what will happen if I wait the amount of time for it to back to sleep, maybe it will wake up then.  I'll give that a try.

Currently running A04 BIOS, latest on website is A05.  I may upgrade that also and see if it help any.

0 Kudos
dougbert
1 Copper

Ditto here.  Had mine for three days.

Just upgraded to A06 and keeping my fingers crossed.  Was debating about completely reinstalling the O/S but I'm guessin' that isn't really the problem if it affects more than just me.

Also, my keyboard never lights up even though the setting is set to do it.  Maybe it's a lemon.

0 Kudos
simonscowl
2 Iron

hi my system studio 1537 does same thing some people advise to change in power management not to sleep but what's the point in that.

have you tried pressing fn and right arrow key for the backlights?  apparently some got this feature as standard - mine was an extra i had to pay for.

i'm on bios a04 noticed they had a05 but never knew about a06. i've tried to update but something is wrong with my battery so it won't let me.

think dell's got a lemon tree!

0 Kudos
dougbert
1 Copper

Scratch A06 from your list of hopeful contenders.   The first two times, it came up just fine.  The third time, it started, the "eject" light lit up, and then it just sat there.  Then, after a minute, the light went off, I pushed the power button and it came on just fine.  Go figure.  Still flakey.

I received a suggestion to reinstall the O/S from scratch.   I have extra copies of Vista laying around the house, so I guess I could try that.  Something about weird power issues in Vista before SP1.  My laptop came without SP1 (it's on SP1 now) and it was suggested that maybe if I installed slipstreamed that that might get around the issue.  Color me doubtful.

On backlights, I guess maybe mine doesn't have that feature...   I touch type, so I almost never look at the keyboard anyway!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
evanr451
1 Copper

You guys upgrading to A06 must have 1535's.  The website shows A06 for that model and A05 for the 1537, which is what I have. (1536 is still at A04)

I upgraded from A04 to A05 and the problem has gone away completely.  It now wakes up reliably unplugged or plugged-in.  There is a slight difference between the two:  When unplugged, it goes to sleep and wakes up based on the lid.  When plugged-in, it only goes to sleep when the power management timeout is reached (mine is set to an hour).  Then it requires a power button press to wake up.  This actually makes sense, and it has behaved consistently for dozens of cycles now.

dougbert: You may have an issue with your optical drive (or, possibly, the disk in it?), it sounds like it checks the optical as part of the wakeup sequence.  You may also want to check out this thread: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19243924/19385552.aspx#19385552 they seem to be having similar problems, but more severe in some cases.

0 Kudos
adamscabana
1 Copper

Has anybody else tried the A06 bios with success?  I have been having a problem recovering from sleep/hybernation about 10% of the time.  Dell support just wanted me to change the power options.  Not fixing the issue...just changing settings to prevent it.  I was not happy about that advice.  I guess I will try the new Bios as dell support has not helped me.

0 Kudos