Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2010 16:00

Studio 15 internal beeping?

I've had my Studio 15 laptop since April of 2009. I've had to send it back once for the CD Drive refusing to accept a disc. That was fixed and didn't have any problems until this winter. A couple months ago, I started to notice a beeping noise coming from inside the laptop (not from the speakers). It lasts for about 15 minutes and is pretty loud and annoying (I've had to leave coffee shops because it annoys people so much). There seems to be no pattern to the beeps, but they often increase in frequency until it beeps 5 times one right after the other and a clicking sound follows.

I've narrowed it down to coming from the lower right corner of the laptop (if you were looking down at your keyboard like you were using it, it'd be the corner to the right of the touch pad). I unscrewed and took off the back panel and the beeping must be right around the hard drive, but I don't see anywhere the noise could be coming from (I thought of just cutting the wire to whatever speaker might have been there).

I really don't want to send it back to Dell because they can take a very long time to send it back and I'm a college student, so I need to have it. Any ideas?

1 Message

January 28th, 2010 19:00

Hi Jordan, I am replying because I have just joined the forum looking for other users suffering the same with their Studio15. Also I just saw a post right before yours with Studio 15 hanging.  Well I have the same clicking noise you are describing but I get no beeps.  And my system crashes and hangs.  Only difference I see is that we bought the laptop in September 09.  Already had 4- 5 calls and on the second call I got in home service that replaced the motherboard, the harddrive etc... 3 months latter same clicking noise and then a month or so latter it crashed while in class... very disappointed.  Seriously... I believe Dell got a problem on these laptops and they are not coming clean on fixing it....   I am in the computer business and I have seen it all...  but if they can't fix the system they should take it back or replace it with something that does not break...  Sorry I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if they take it back and try to fix it be ready for it to break down again..  I am waiting on tech support to get back to me on what is the next step.  Most likely ship it back and I would really hate that for the same reason you probably have…

So far I have wasted so many days and hours on it…between trying to getting it fixed and being on calls with tech support and needing my laptop and not being able to use it, it’s really time for me to get a another laptop. 

One recommendation (on the beeping)… System Software guys add peeps in their code to let them know if they hit a problem etc… it sounds like the SW is hitting it while you are in the OS… (which is bizarre) so perhaps the beeping part has nothing to do with the clicking noise you heard (my issue) and perhaps updating your SBIOS if you don’t have the latest would solve the beeping issue.  But if you started getting the clicking sounds it’s a matter of time probably for you to start crashing.  Sorry again for the bad news.  Good luck with that… write back please if you are presented by Dell with a good lasting solution to your problematic Studio 15…

1 Message

March 25th, 2010 23:00

I'm having the same beeping problem. No good. I really don't want to send my computer in because I know it will take forever to get it back! Sad day.

-Ben

1 Message

May 10th, 2010 18:00

Hi, I'm experiencing both the beeping noise and the clicking sounds.  I have no idea where the clicking sounds are coming from, but the beeping sounds are coming from the internal speakers.

I've already sent my laptop out once to get it fixed; they replaced the palmrest, the keyboard, and the CPU fan, and it still makes that irritating clicking/beeping sounds.  I'm shipping out my laptop again soon (probably tomorrow), and I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions as to what I should tell the depot this time.

No Events found!