Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2009 16:00

Studio 15 screen flicker

I just ordered a new Dell Studio 15 fired it up and the screen is flickering up and down and I cannot even get to the point to install Vista.  Has anyone had this happen and if so what was your solution.  I literally opened the package 5 mintues ago.

40 Posts

August 24th, 2009 12:00

Thanks, thats the one i have though.

11 Posts

August 24th, 2009 12:00

Hey peter, what video driver version did you install that fixed the problem?

8.553.2 - the one from dell's support site

40 Posts

August 26th, 2009 08:00

These don't use CCFL back lights though.

539 Posts

August 26th, 2009 08:00

Classic symptoms of a failing CCFL backlight tube can be found here:

Screen flickers, hissing, black spot in corner

Cheers!

246 Posts

August 26th, 2009 16:00

The "inverters" or balists that run the lamps cause hissing sound, or cause flickering or waivey lines in the display when they are malfunctioning or have connection or insulation issues. Are these LED backlit? sounds like the ballist isnt plugged in properly or there is a short somewhere between. If it is LED I am not familiar with how it functions, but it must function similarly. I once installed an hp ballist in an old dell inspiron 4000 and it worked but if you reduced the brightness down its hissed and caused video issues. I assumed it was because of incompatability issues between the screens sounds like everyons's issue anyhow...

4 Posts

August 26th, 2009 16:00

I had the same issue until I exchanged unit, this new one does not appear to
have problem.

4 Posts

August 27th, 2009 11:00

i have a Aug 2009 Studio 1555 with a ATI 256 card and 1080p screen... right side of screen about 1.5" thick there is a constant flicker all the way from top to bottom.  more noticable when the screen brightness is not maxed out.  

is there a solution for this ?     i have read that they can replace the screen from samsung to LG and it should fix it?

this laptop is about 2 wks old;.... but i have noticed it right out of the box.   

9 Posts

August 27th, 2009 20:00

mgravis: you are a copy of me. Exact exact same experience. I'm still waiting to know what to do with this issue. I got my screen changed once and still got the exact same problem the moment I powered my laptop. That's pretty insulting!

246 Posts

August 27th, 2009 22:00

Just like a flouresent bulb they burn out from the edges to the center. The bulbs are bad in the screen, and are defffective. I can not tell the cause but the best resolution is to have dell replace them, the screens that is or exchange for a differant unit. They will fix the issue when the issue becomes known to quality control.

14 Posts

August 28th, 2009 03:00

My screen was replaced too and the issue persist.

We have 3 fellow Dell users and we are both awaiting for some solution.

I'm busy till September 10th but I definitely will give Dell a call.

5 Posts

August 30th, 2009 21:00

Hi-

I also have had the screen flickering problem, both on my original order (arrived on 8/4/09) and on a replacement order (arrived on 8/21/09).  I have a Studio 1555 with the LGD7001 screen.  My original shipment had a very strong flicker across the whole screen when battery powered (not a problem when plugged in).  I spent almost four hours in online/phone chat with two different techs on two different days going through the motions of what they needed to do in order to get the problem fixed.  They could not resolve the problem by altering the drivers/power plans/BIOS settings.  I was offered a replacement computer.  Upon receipt, it has a mild flicker, much less noticeable than the original computer, but it's still there.

One hypothesis that others have proposed is that there is something wrong with how the screen interacts with voltages from the powering source.  The only thing I could try myself to further the discussion in this thread about what might be wrong was to swap 9 cell batteries between the two systems to see if that affected anything.  The original computer is equally bad, regardless of battery, so the problem is not with the 9 cell battery (Tech #1 had originally suggested that a tech might come and replace my screen and battery to solve the problem, but Tech #2 offered me a full replacement, so I went with that).  I am curious to know if anybody has this problem with the 6 cell.  I wish I had ordered it as original equipment, because I don't like the slant created by the 9 cell battery's protruding cells.  It seems possible to me that things might be different with that battery, but I don't have one to test.

I am still deciding what next steps to take regarding the defect with the new computer.

Good luck to all in reaching a resolution with this.

4 Posts

August 31st, 2009 07:00

I have the regular slim battery pack and it is flickering on the right hand side.      I don't have the extended life battery.    My thoughts are still the screen is defective from factory. 

I am within the 30 return period and calling today.  (canada is 30, usa is 21 days) I am going to order a Studio 14z with the 900p screen instead.

Edit:  I called Dell.. sending this one back, $100 credit and they are sending me another Studio 1555 and they say it won't have the flicker! hmm... I will update when it comes in.

5 Posts

September 14th, 2009 08:00

My Studio 1555 arived last Wednesday and its screen was flickering from new. The flickering on my laptop isn't localized, but all over the screen, its at its worst when the brightness is around halfway up and im looking at medium density colours. Its nasty, I realy couldn't work at my computer for any legth of time with the screen in this state, its like having a migraine. I phoned technical support and went through a bunch of diagnostics, bios flashes and driver re-installs that didn't help. He was a nice enough chap, but In the end he sort of gave up. He said someone would get in touch when they figured out how to fix it and that it was proberbly something to do with my gpu . Basicly, I was told to set the brightness to full and to wait, this isn't ideal! I have the standard 6 cell battery, 512mb ATI mobility radeon HD 4570 and the LGD70011 screen. I also went for the light up keyboard, its a long shot, but could that be the problem?

2 Posts

September 17th, 2009 06:00

Have you checked the monitor panel hardware ID? If so, can you please post here?

See my previous post today for more information.

4 Posts

September 17th, 2009 06:00

Just checked and here is the result

MONITOR\LGD020B

No Events found!