Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

26 Posts

January 20th, 2009 12:00

Studio 15 sound is DREADFUL

Received a new Studio 15 laptop yesterday. Lovely design, well built, excellent keyboard, sparkling LED screen.

The sound is unbelievably bad, it's not much better than just leaving headphone speakers beside the keyboard. . I tried listening to Radio 4 online but couldn't hear it. Turn the volume above 75% and it distorts badly, below 75% you can't hear it even sitting in fornt of the laptop.

Music - forget it, you will struggle to know what track is playing.

I tried Tech support who offered to replace the speakers but I know they are not faulty.

I am so dissapointed because I like eveything else about this laptop.

It's going back.

January 20th, 2009 12:00

Hi mike,

This issue can be fixed by updating the bios.. First try to update the bios and also try to disable the enhancement settings in advance settings for audio

26 Posts

January 21st, 2009 05:00

Hello Mandy,

I have tried this with the help of Dell Support. In fact I already had the latest bios (v1.7) but the technician decided to try the older version 1.5. I also disabled all enhancement settings but the sound is exactly the same - horrendous.

It is so bad that I cannot use it. And I'm not being hard because I like everything else about this 1537. I am very disappointed.

My alternative is an M1530 but I can't get an LED screen on that, and I don't think they are as nice to use anyway.

Mike

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 21st, 2009 10:00

Mike,

Have you seen this thread? There are a lot of other unhappy Studio owners.

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 19:00

I used a USB port to connect speakers.  Sounds much better than the "tinny" sound of the poor speakers that came with my Studio 1735.  Don't know anything about the Studio 15 but maybe there's a way you can connect to external speakers and bypass the need for the off-the-shelf speakers.

26 Posts

January 25th, 2009 06:00

I must further post a further update on this to be fair to Dell, I wouldn't want to put others off buying a Stido 15.

I have had the opportunity to listen to another Studio 15 and there is something wrong with mine, the other one wasn't great quality but it was useable and acceptable.

I have also listened to  a M1530 and that is better again. not the best but I wouldn't complain. My company workhorse which is an old Compaq NC6000 (quite a brick) which can fill the room with reasonable quality sound, it is probably the best I've heard from a laptop.

If I rate the NC6000 as a "10" I would rate the M1530 as "8" and the Studio 16 as "6".

So, I wouldn't let the sound quality from the Studio 15 stop me from buying one.

Mike   

2 Posts

February 11th, 2009 01:00

I have just received two Studio 15's and i must too say iam discusted that Dell ship laptops with this quality of speakers. I spent the best part of £1400 for these and they sound worse that a £250 laptop i have in the office. In my opinion Dell should be replacing these for higher quality units on all new laptops and offer a free upgrade for all dissatisfied customers. Upon playing music they are so high pitched that they phsyically hurt my ears, now i have to consider sending them both back and going for another manufacturer (probably HP as my old laptops speakers were fantastic) or shell out even more money on bluetooth speakers for a problem which shouldn't have existed in the first place. If this is the kind of quality Dell are now shipping out with their equipment i may have to look at other options for our business as we have purchased over 600 machines from Dell in the last two years and i don't want any quality issues like this in my workplace.
Even my D531 sounds fantastic compared and my D631 with only one speaker sounds better!

Ian

2 Posts

February 11th, 2009 06:00

If this is in reply to my post, i have already done this and while the sound is loud, the high end pitch is way too high, which combined with no bass sounds awful. I have never ever used a laptop with such poor quality speakers.

2 Posts

The low volume/quality problem with the 1535 and other laptops is caused by the IDT drivers.

If you uninstall these and use the standard microsoft drivers then volume etc is fine. Even to the point that full volume is too loud! Dell don't seem to want to admit to this and continue to dissapoint customers by insisting on the IDT drivers which have a pretty pop up screen but are terrible.

Change to the Microsoft drivers, problem solved and i'm now very happy with my studio 1535

2 Posts

It was a reply in general about how i solved my problem without any help from Dell (who tried but couldn't !)

Have you tried to alter the settings. There is a bass enhancement and a sound equaliser.

The one remaining problem I have is that when listening to music there is a crackle now and again. This is caused by the WIFI. No solution. When trying to diagnose problems with the sound , connect to the internet via cable so this isn't confused with another problem.

Hope this helps a few people out there !

2 Posts

February 17th, 2009 22:00

Contacted dell about poor sound on my studio 15, ie:- maximum sound returned very little output & what sound came out was distorted  & tinny ( literally sounds like the sound is coming from a couple of battered tin cans) reply was to reinstall the sound drivers (with the instructions given) did as instructed & yes obtained a louder version of the tinny sound.

Replied to dell with the outcome only to be told “I would like to inform you that the speakers which are in the laptop are very small and are not meant for very high quality sound. I would request you to please connect external speakers or headphones and check the sound quality".

Being of reasonable mind and sound! Do I really have to use external devises?, if I had a hearing defect I WOULD SEEK TREATMENT,  I have a 4 year old inspiron that puts the sound of studio way back in the early mono sound.

My conclusion is the problem lies with an inherent dell studio production fault, soon to be put right on the quiet 

Not giving up on this issue with dell, have been a loyal customer: 2 laptops, 2 all in one printers, ink supplies and one desktop system, feel extremely let down on this issue.

SURLEY VERY SMALL SPEAKERS DO NOT EQUALL VERY SMALL INFERIOR SPEAKERS

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2009 02:00

I Tried this on my new Studio 17 and eventually resolved the problem by going into Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Manage Audio Devices - Level tab and adjusting PC speaker volume to 100%.  Now I have loud sound.  My Father-inlaw also had a new Dell inspiron and it was set the same.  It looks like by default that the PC master volume is set to low.

Hope this helps other who are having the same problem. 

75 Posts

February 26th, 2009 14:00

Along time ago before the forum got upgraded I did a long post about this.

~There is not a lot wrong with the audio amplifier quality on the studio 15 - as judged by the frequency response of the output at the headphone/speaker jack plug

~there has been a problem with a crackling audio interference when audio and WiFi are both in use.  New Driver, new BIOS and various other things help a bit here

~The internal speakers are ridiculous for movie player use  - they are about 20mm in diameter.  It is astounding that they sound as good as they do given this size, but volume and bass reproduction were clearly both abandoned at design stage to fit the illuminated media keys in.

If you turn up the volume and the bass to the maximum possible you are likely to find out what Dell charges for a new speaker before too long ;-)

5 Posts

March 21st, 2009 02:00

There is an easy fix to enhancing your laptop speakers. You have to uninstall dell's audio driver, and make sure you tick the box that will prevent it from reinstalling itself, and then restart your computer. Then Vista should automatically install it's own audio drivers and the sound is 100 times better. 

2 Posts

March 30th, 2009 09:00

Can you explain how to uninstall dell's audio driver and where one should tick the box that will prevent it from reinstalling itself?  Thanks for your help!

5 Posts

March 30th, 2009 15:00

Control Panel > click Hardware and Sound > device manager> idt driver > properties > driver tab > uninstall driver then tick the box marked "delete driver software for this device" then restart your computer, then the Vista audio drivers will install themselves when the computer boots up.

No Events found!