Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2010 18:00

Studio 1535, 1525 turn off unexpectedly

I had started a thread on this topic over a year ago, and found that many people with Studio 1535, 1525 and other Inspiron models were experiencing the same problem.

Does your laptop suddenly turn off? (Not a windows shutdown, but the power suddenly being cut?]  You're not imagining things.  Pay attention to whether your fan switches to a higher speed just before it happens. The fan itself is a known problem on these machines (just do a search on "Dell studio fan noise" and you'll see what I mean).   Despite so many reports of similar problems, Dell technicians seem unable or unwilling to recognize a pattern. People with this problem invariably report that the technician tries to update the BIOS (to no avail), reinstall Windows (to no avail), change everything back to factory settings (to no avail).

Many people who responded to my original post reported that Dell was never able to fix it, while one or two forum users indicated that their fan or motherboard was finally replaced and/or they received a new laptop after all other efforts failed, and the problem was finally resolved. These people of course had paid extra for at-home service or other extended warranties. 

So where IS my original post? Well, the "moderator" of this forum deleted it. Perhaps this is because, earlier today, after yet another person found it and posted a "My machine does this too" response, I replied with a message that compared Dell's current "Lollipop" ad campaign to my opinion about the quality of their product. (The TV ad includes a scene where little dollops of color are being squeezed out of a machine, which look like... well, never mind. :)   Dell deleted not just my last response but the entire thread, thereby eliminating one source of information about the problem described above.  The finger-wagging email I received said they found it "objectionable." You know what I find objectionable? Having been a loyal Dell customer (purchased 3 computers in a row from Dell direct), only to waste $800 on a laptop with a problem that clearly has affected many users but that has not resulted in a recall of any kind. That's objectionable.

I chose to re-post this because I know there are others out there whose laptops turn off suddenly and unexpectedly, and this topic needs to be easily identifiable in these forums. Don't waste your time on BIOS updates. IT'S NOT WINDOWS -- it's the Dell fan and/or other hardware or circuitry. Demand a replacement.

It goes without saying that I am no longer a Dell customer. My deleted post explained that I had replaced my Studio 1535 with a better Lenovo machine... Maybe that's the part they found objectionable. [On second thought, no... I'm sure no human employee actually reviews or moderates these forums, much less jumps in and tries to help anyone. Undoubtedly there's an automated filter that tripped on the word I used to describe the blobs of color in the lollipop ad, and the word I used to describe what one does to a lollipop. Mind you, these are regular words in the English language, not swear words. I was careful of that.]  :)

Good luck, Studio users. Look elsewhere next time!

4 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 05:00

I have the same problem, only I Have two of them.  They haven't been out of the house, and hardly used.  Now the kids are in college, afraid to use them on line for college test because they die unexpectedly,  I want to give Dell a piece of my mind.

7 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 07:00

I'm sorry to hear that, Alfred50. The fact that you have two machines with the same problem definitely seems to confirm that these Studios are flawed pieces of junk, marketed to the masses with cheap components. I traded mine in on a less expensiven Lenovo over a year ago, and haven't had a single problem of any kind, although I was in the hole by about $500 when all was said and done. Best of luck to you.

August 3rd, 2011 20:00

I, too, am experiencing many problems with my Studio 1535 laptop - right now it is dead, will not turn on at all (I'm using an 8 year old Inspirion I recently had refurbished as a backup because the Studio is so undependable).  I purchased the Studio in May 2010, with the extended warranty, thank God!!!  In February 2011, the fan was replaced.  In April, the motherboard was replaced as well as the power cord.  In May, the hard drive and keyboard were replaced.  Need I say more!  This laptop is the pits!!!   I called Dell the other night because the laptop wouldn't turn on - after discussion with technical support, I was told they would send out a new motherboard, hard drive and some other parts - they can't tell me why I am continuing to experience problems and with them it's just a guessing game as to what's wrong with it because I can't even turn it on for them to try and find out.  What a joke!!!  I demanded that they either replace it with a new one or refund my money.  They refused, but they are sending a box to return it in so they can have their technicians go over it to find out what is causing all the problems.  I am thinking it's the fan.  The fan runs almost constantly - even though I'm using a cooling fan.  I'm sure this won't be the end of it - as I said, thankfully, I purchased the extended warranty.  In another two or three months something else will go wrong and once again, I'll be inconvenienced, but at some point they will have to realize it's would have been more cost-effective to have replaced it rather that continually have to fix it!  In the meantime, I have almost two years left on my warranty so I'll have plenty of time to do some research before I purchase my next laptop.  The Studio was my third (and last)  Dell product - I have always been a loyal and satisfied Dell user until this experience.  I will never deal with Dell again. 

18 Posts

August 4th, 2011 01:00

what kind of video card do u have?

August 4th, 2011 06:00

Not sure, where would I find that info?  BTW, I told the guy who refurbed my old Inspiron about all the issues I had with the Studio (he has the same laptop only in the 17-inch and has had no issues with it) and he said it sounds like I got a "lemon" that was defective when it was manufactured.  I also find it odd that I can no longer find the Studio model on Dell's website, so I am assuming they no longer make them.

2 Posts

February 24th, 2012 13:00

My Dell Studio 15 inch has this problem.  Shuts down suddenly with no warning, like it loses all power instantly.  Happens about once a day.

1 Message

July 3rd, 2012 05:00

Well, I can join the club.  Studio 1535 laptop that I bought for my son to use in college cannot be depended on.  Turns off without warning.  I do believe its a fan/internal heat problem that is shutting down the laptop.  When I first bought the Studio 1535 I was concerned about the constant fan noise and excessive heat from the laptop.  I spoke to Dell and they said this fan operation was "normal" for the Studio 1535.  I believe that is not the case and that is the principle reason these computers are shutting down.  Out of warranty...what is Dell offering???

7 Posts

July 3rd, 2012 08:00

To my knowledge, Dell has never acknowledged that it's a problem despite widespread evidence that it is. I've said it in this thread before and I'll say it again: Buy another brand next time. It's the only way to avoid this problem. Dell will never offer any real solution. I'm so much happier with my inexpensive Lenovo.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 21st, 2013 22:00

Mine had the same problem, It powered off suddenly, I can't turn it on any more.

After the google search, I saw this thread, so post it here to let other people know about the suck quality of dell product.

1 Message

June 25th, 2013 19:00

I am having the same issue. I used my Dell for personal/business so I had to purchase a new machine (switched to MacBook Pro). I now need the Dell for Windows apps but it is constantly shutting down and overheating. I paid Dell support to tell me that they had no idea what the problem is. I paid a decent amount for this laptop yet was only able to use it for one year before it started to malfunction. I've only taken it out of the house 2 or 3 times and I'm incredibly gentle with my electronics because I am in the IT field. I'm really disappointed with this product and the lack of support.

As one of the primary purchasers of 5K plus Dell machines for my company I am encouraging them to seek another company for our upcoming refresh. Dell started out strong in the industry but is now nothing more than a company selling less than average products and providing insufficient technical support. I am so disappointed.

No Events found!