Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

November 22nd, 2008 20:00

Studio 1535 Problem!

Every so often, the touch-button that raises volume becomes "stuck". I can only temporarily get rid of the problem by shutting down the computer. After I turn the computer back on, it makes a very loud beeping noise then proceeds to work, for the most part, normally. Also, my mouse stops every so often in the middle of moving it. Please help! I don't want to have to send my laptop in if this is fixable.

Thanks for all of your help.

In case it matters, I'm running Vista Home Premium on my Dell Studio 1535. I'm fairly certain I have all the BIOS and the drivers updated.

14 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 10:00

Hi XPS ..

From your observations under the covers, would you suggest that the cables you mention may cause a similar problem by interfering with the increase volume sensor as well ?  Are they routed in the same manner ?

Jonny

5 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 11:00

xpsengineer: does opening that cover void the warranty?
A picture would definetly be useful to see in advance what's behind the cover, try to put it somewhere like i.e. imageshack or similar sites, if it doesn't upload here.

16 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 11:00

highly likely.  I've tried uploading a jpg but the file is rejected for some reason.

There is a circuit board mounted to this plastic cover with all of the electronics associated with that row of capacitive sense switches.  Some pressure on the back side of this board could cause unpredictable behavior.  I would guess it to be highly likely that you will see a physical sign of the issue when you remove that cover.  Do be careful though as to not pull the cover too far too fast because there is a pretty small cable that tethers it back to the system.

16 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 12:00

16 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 14:00

no comment on the warranty..  but unless you break it in 1/2 while removing it I don't suppose it could be detected that you have taken it apart.

The beeping at boot issue reported in this thread sounds like what happens when the key buffer gets full as is the case when a key is held down (or stuck) while the system is powered on.  I'm not sure if the cap sense keys on this panel would cause that or not.

8 Posts

December 4th, 2008 00:00

Guy guys,

I won't be opening up mine ... I'll leave that to a technician, if one ever comes. I've read postings on another blog, and not all people who tried opening it up had success in resolving the problem.

The volume light came on when I just booted, so I thought I'd try shutting the lid and leave it for 5-10 minutes, which is the usual time it takes for the button to go off. I thought it would go into sleep mode.  To my surprise it didn't go into sleep mode, the beeping stopped, and windows proceeded to load. When I opened it the volume light was still on, but I'd achieved a successful boot. Go figure.

My main concern was the damaged being done by rebooting with the power button, so I guess I can get around that problem now. Hopefully it gives a clue as to what might be going on. What does shutting the lid do??

14 Posts

December 4th, 2008 09:00

Hi XPS ..Nice pictures !

However i am with the aussie on this, there is no way i am opening it up in case it

does mess my warrenty up. I bought 4 years worth so not gonna risk it. Haven't managed to get around

to callin g Dell again, however havn't had the problem again either so going to monitor it and

call them when i get time.

13 Posts

December 5th, 2008 16:00

I'm now starting to get intermittent blue screens upon boot. I booted up 10 minutes ago and it seemed to be stuck on the Microsoft screen for a while. Then the desktop loaded but the icons were in the wrong places and were larger, as if it was in Safe Mode. Then the blue screen appeared and the computer automatically rebooted. It then gave me the choice to check the disk but I chose start windows normally and it booted up fine. Today is the second time this has happened. And as I'm writing, the volume up light has come on again and none of the other touchpad buttons respond.

I'm going to return it to Dell as soon as they will let me. I paid over 1000 dollars for this defective machine. :emotion-12:

13 Posts

December 5th, 2008 18:00

This is what I posted in another forum....

I am also having the same problem when I boot up where it just flashes a cursor and then beeps repeatably. When this happens I have to reboot several times and finally it will boot. This happens about 1 out of every 7 or 8 boots approx. I also will get a fatal blue screen once in awhile as well. Unfortunately I have just passed my 21 days before I found this forum with the people having the same issues so could not just return the laptop.

I just recently tried shutting the laptop and re-opening it when it happened and then it booted fine. The volume up light (above F11 key) has been staying on quite often. This is obviously a bad batch of studio laptops and Dell should regonize the problem, get to the main root problem and help all of us. I agree, I spent 850 on this laptop and have several problems and in my opinion there is a lack of techs with more than basic knowledge at Dell. I spent many hours on another Sound Blaster MB Audigy software issue with the Dell techs recently and got absoulutely no where (posted in another forum). I am hoping some of the other people who are working with Dell find the solution to this issue so we all do not have to go thru many hours with possibly no fix. I read in the other forum the motherboard was replaced and that did not help the problem.

5 Posts

December 6th, 2008 05:00

xpsengineer: thanks for the pics!

I remember that the first time I had the issue, after trying to reboot two or three times and the volume key always was lit, I removed the battery and placed it back: it worked, but now I think that what worked could have been not the electrical discharge, but the mechanical release in the pressure of the cables under the cover situated under the battery.

I don't have the laptop handy (it's not mine, it's of a friend), as soon as I can I'll try to open that cover and reroute the cables, and I'll be back with the results.

8 Posts

December 6th, 2008 14:00

Here's an interesting development:

I've had absolutely no problems with my laptop today. I've done nothing that could possibly have remedied the situation, yet I haven't experienced a single problem.

My touchpad now works fine, there are no performance spikes, and I haven't had any problems with drives not booting and touch-sensitive buttons functioning incorrectly.

What's going on? I'm not complaining, but it's very strange.

1 Message

December 6th, 2008 14:00

I've been having the same issues with the touchpad freezing, the touchbuttons flashing and freezing, as well as the startup beeping.  I've contacted support about this a few times and they replaced the touchpad, the top touchbutton panel, the motherboard, and the dvd drive - they thought the buttons were lighting up cause it wasnt placed properly. - and I still am having these problems.  Today when I tried to boot up, I got the long error beeps (1 minute or more) a few times, before it would try to boot and go back to the black screen and the beeping.  Currently on the phone with tech support and he really has no idea what the *** is happening.

13 Posts

December 6th, 2008 18:00

slipperyclam if I were you and the techs dont resolve issues (guessing it could be awhile) I would just demand a new unit before your 21 day return period is over. From what I have read on other forums sounds like you can get a refund or new unit before 21 days from date you received laptop I think. Yesterday I had trouble with mine and today no problems. I might try the cable re-routing as the xpsengineer mentioned.

December 6th, 2008 18:00

just got my new Studio 1535 3 day ago and I too have the same problem. This truley disgusts me on reading on this forum of the problem everyone seems to be having with this voulume touch button. I would not have bought this computer if I knew of this. I hope that suport will find a fix for this problem soon.

December 6th, 2008 19:00

Dyers I think I am just going to demand they take it back and getting a XPS insted but I am still concerned that unit has touch buttons also not sure if any one has heard of any problems with those units

No Events found!